3 Replies - 2158 Views - Last Post: 24 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

sourcing live (or delayed) data feeds on my website

Post icon  Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hello everyone. I was hoping if someone could give me some general information for a project I am doing. I am to create a Web-based Fantasy stock market (trader) game where users will be able to lregister and log in, and trade with real stock market share prices but with virtual cash.

I only require some general advice on how I can source live delayed data feeds. I want to source the stock prices and store them in a database and update the prices as it changes.

I dont require a detailed solution...just a quick general approach to the problem.

I have intermediate knowledge in java programming, html, sql server, and flash.

Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: sourcing live (or delayed) data feeds on my website

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: sourcing live (or delayed) data feeds on my website

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

I am not a web developer but I had some ideas of what you could do.

Create a sql database that will hold your stock data and prices. I believe the NYSE has services that companies can connect to update stock prices. Now if that service cost a fee its possible since I would think its not that simple of a service to operate.

Next I would create a flash interface that the users would uses to trade their stocks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:33 AM

View Postlockdown, on 23 Dec, 2007 - 12:34 PM, said:

Create a sql database that will hold your stock data and prices. I believe the NYSE has services that companies can connect to update stock prices. Now if that service cost a fee its possible since I would think its not that simple of a service to operate.

Next I would create a flash interface that the users would uses to trade their stocks.

Excellent!! Thanks for the advice....it's definately got me thinking of what to do next. Much appreciated! As I'm based in the UK.....is it possible to implement the game using London Stock Exchange?? I'm required to use the FTSE100.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

View Postsinghs2, on 24 Dec, 2007 - 07:33 AM, said:

View Postlockdown, on 23 Dec, 2007 - 12:34 PM, said:

Excellent!! Thanks for the advice....it's definately got me thinking of what to do next. Much appreciated! As I'm based in the UK.....is it possible to implement the game using London Stock Exchange?? I'm required to use the FTSE100.

If NYSE (New york stock exchange) now called NYSE Euronext dose offer that service you should be able to pull European Stock Exchanges off that particular service or similar. See the NYSE is owned by a company called NYSE Euronext which is is the merger of NYSE inc. and Euronext NV both companies that control the stock market. They merged earlier this year and are now the largest exchange group in the world. So services offered should be for all their markets.

You can find out more from them on their site http://www.nyse.com/. Hope that helps ya out.

Also when you get the game up post back. I have seen some similar things on the web and I like using them in my spare time. I trade normally on the NYSE but its always fun to test out some things on a fake market with real time data.

This post has been edited by lockdown: 24 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1