2 Replies - 595 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How much faster i7 is in VS2017 than i3?

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

I have i3-6100 Skylake, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR4, Samsung 951Pro Nvme M2 SSD.

While my machine is quite snappy and quick in daily tasks, VS2017 RC is sometimes bit slow to my liking.

VS2017 RC starts in around 4 seconds and it takes about same time to open small project file.

After opening up a project, when switching between code and design tabs there is 1-2 second delay at first.

Sometimes, usually soon after starting intellisense tends to have up to 1 second delays, usually not much more than 0.5seconds though, but not snappy.

First start of debug session after cold start of VS2017 takes long, more than 4 seconds quite often, it is faster after that, but when for example MS Excel opens in less than 0.4 seconds, it kind of feels sluggish.

I don't have access to i7 and don't know anyone who has such so I would like to know from someone who has such and similarly fast SSD if i7 is considerably faster than this in VS 2017 RC?
Also I think that VS is going to become faster before it is released, but with VS2015 there is similar slowdowns to smaller extent and I read VS2017 should be faster which it really is not with my computer, so maybe with i7 it is lot faster?

Kaby Lake seems to be not much of improvement over Skylake so it would be Skylake i7 upgrade when prices drop what interests me, but if there is not much to gain, then I might wait for year or two to see what happens with Socket 2066 or go even to used X99 with CPU that has equal or faster single core performance.

Another slowdowns that bother me are related to single core performance, but I know that there is not much any difference between this CPU and i7, only K model is bit faster in single thread performance, but I don't know if that really matters. Mostly when opening heavily modified web browser that has more than 100 tabs which gets restored on browser start I find it bit slow, in such situation cpu load is mostly on single core, perhaps because of session restore addon.

So in short I'm thinking here if I keep saving for Socket 2066 based system or if I will be enough happy with i7 Skylake upgrade.

I know it is bit foolish to upgrade for such reasons, but I get annoyed when computer feels even bit slow, one is ready to pay from pretty computer case, for me I guess it is lightning responsiveness that I'm ready to pay.

I'm not enough rich to upgrade for very small gains though, also even current system might serve me many years, but if I upgrade I hope to have system more than 5 years, so spending bit more is ok, but naturally less cost is better.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How much faster i7 is in VS2017 than i3?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How much faster i7 is in VS2017 than i3?

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

Your times seem reasonable. I am not sure if I would use them as a warrant for a new CPU..
You can compare benchmarks here:
http://cpu.userbench...6100/3502vs3511

Mostly when opening heavily modified web browser that has more than 100 tabs which gets restored on browser start I find it bit slow,

"Heavily modified"?
Why would you ever have 100 tabs open? Check out the resources and see where that slow down is probably coming from.. the app and RAM usage.

I would figure looking at other running processes and par down anything extraneous first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How much faster i7 is in VS2017 than i3?

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 December 2016 - 07:28 PM, said:

Your times seem reasonable. I am not sure if I would use them as a warrant for a new CPU..
You can compare benchmarks here:
http://cpu.userbench...6100/3502vs3511

Mostly when opening heavily modified web browser that has more than 100 tabs which gets restored on browser start I find it bit slow,

"Heavily modified"?
Why would you ever have 100 tabs open? Check out the resources and see where that slow down is probably coming from.. the app and RAM usage.

I would figure looking at other running processes and par down anything extraneous first.

Thanks, I have Passmark and I have compared there to i7 profiles available, but often I find practical performance differences being quite different from benchmarks, I guess it is how software don't nearly always utilize all the threads to full potential.

Most tabs I have had open is around 800, what can I say, I'm lazy to bookmark and just leave tabs open when closing browser, so it takes time to restore all those tabs and during that time 1 core is used 100% while rest are almost idling, of course it is to be excepted that startup slows down in such situation, it is not horribly bad and there is not much hardware available to make it faster as single core performance is not much faster with anything that I could afford at the moment.

With Visual Studio multi threading is much better and that leads me to suspect, that with i7 there might be some improvement in Visual Studio, how much only person who has such and has tested VS 2017 can really bring light to if times are similar or much faster than what I'm getting with i3.

Heavily modified part of browser is addons, settings etc. Sadly not many addons are programmed with multi-threading in mind. Of course I could change way I use computer, but I like to live that option to situation where there is nothing to improve in hardware :)

Oh yes, with this Samsung 951 Pro M2 SSD loading speeds are really nice, when I push power button of PC it is only few seconds until computer is ready to use, it is ridiculous really, over 2000MB/s reading speed gives really nice boost to performance and it helps a lot, if OS would be as light and responsive as Windows XP computer might be even too fast, but sadly XP had to go. There is new version of this Samsung SSD and it is even faster, also quite low cost too, I can recommend such for nice performance boost especially in load times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1