Advice for a lost college student?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 2345 Views - Last Post: 23 December 2016 - 12:06 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice for a lost college student?

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

I'm about to graduate and with all classes I've been taking I could not identify myself with anything.
Some of my professors told me I should get into software development because they say I "think different",
but even though I have good grades I feel I am not prepared for a job on the field (having As doesn't make me smart).
Plus I don't want to do something just because my professors think I would be successful doing.

What I am looking here, is for advice from you guys who have a lot more experience and knowledge than I do.

I really would like to work for some company which goals are to have some positive impact on the world instead of only make profit and make the owner richer.

If you can think about something I could LOOK INTO, READ, RESEARCH, or AVOID please let me know...

Thank you for your time!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice for a lost college student?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice for a lost college student?

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

I am confused on the topic. Are you looking for a list of companies that "have some positive impact on the world", or looking to be told you should/shouldn't program?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 depricated  Icon User is online

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

Well, what do you WANT to do?

Like what are the job duties and tasks for your desired position? What is your degree in?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

You just said 'doodies'.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

Have you had any internships or actual experience? I would draw from those to help you figure out where to go.

Most jobs in the IT arena involve quite a bit of software development. These jobs include software engineering or data science. You could also work in systems administration, or help desk type jobs.

I really would like to work for some company which goals are to have some positive impact on the world instead of only make profit and make the owner richer.

Great. And these jobs are few and far between, with little job security and pay. My advice is to focus on having a job and being successful there. If your job isn't as altruistic as you would like, find an organization or cause with which to volunteer your time off the clock.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

Sorry if the topic wasn't that clear, so is my situation as you can see haha

I am gonna have a degree in CS and ECO as well.
And I wouldn't mind programming for a good company i would say.

modi123_1
You tell me, do you program for a living? Would you do the same if you could go back on your choices? Who do you work for?

And thanks for the answers guys!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

What is "ECO"? Is that a BS or a BA? Is that like 'econ'?

Yes I do it for a living. Yes I would go back and do it again. Who I work for is my own concern.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#8 depricated  Icon User is online

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

I program for a living and absolutely love it.

This post has been edited by depricated: 20 December 2016 - 02:29 PM
Reason for edit:: no sense making it sound scary when it's not

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Quit wondering and take some kind of action. Either you like development enough to try it or you don't. You want to make a difference? There are plenty of non-profits that need developers just the same. No one is prepared after college, that is not the point of college in the first place. Inaction doesn't help you do anything, some choice will be made, the difference is living with the choice you make. Being that you are getting ready to graduate and the commentary mood of this post, you are young. My favorite quote:

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

And I wouldn't mind programming for a good company i would say.

There are lots of companies that treat their employees well. Not every company is altruistic and actively looking to heal the world/join hands and sing kumbaya. The interviewing process should help you get to know the company, as much as it helps the company get to know you. Based on your offers, pick the one that works best for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

Before you start choosing your employers, you have to give your employers a reason to choose you. You do that by being a good programmer* and a desirable employee**. If you come out of your schooling with those two things, you'll find that you're getting offers from companies, and some of those companies will be ones that you'd like to work for.

* competent, efficient, and curious are three characteristics to cultivate
** you should think about what this means
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:50 AM

Positive impact is good. However, for employment with a conscience, you're best bet is probably "no negative impact." Once you can help yourself, then you can worry about helping others.

Helping others is more the job of individuals than companies. Indeed, corporations are amoral by definition; they just make money. So, when you aren't struggling, volunteer. I've done websites gratis for non profits. Actually, volunteer computer guy is always gratefully accepted. Hell, volunteering early in your career can actually lead to a paying gig down the line, even if that wasn't the intent.

Every company, regardless of how cavalier, is still made of people. When you work at a company, and do your job, you are helping others do their job, so at the end of the day you are helping some people in addition to yourself.

Also, some places that use their supposed goodness as currency ain't always that good. Don't get me started on the Red Cross.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 depricated  Icon User is online

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:48 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 21 December 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

Actually, volunteer computer guy is always gratefully accepted. Hell, volunteering early in your career can actually lead to a paying gig down the line, even if that wasn't the intent.
It works great both for resume building and networking. At the end of the day, my current job offer came through word of mouth recommendation from someone I had volunteered with before.

Also, some places that use their supposed goodness as currency ain't always that good. Don't get me started on the Red Cross.

I could write a book on the topic haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

Helping others is more the job of individuals than companies. Indeed, corporations are amoral by definition; they just make money.

What's interesting is that there are companies coming through our accelerator which are founded by people who wanted to make helping others their day job. Some of them are not-for-profit, but some of them are actually for-profit and have reasonable business models. A few examples (these are just some of my favorites - we run 128 companies a year just in Boston)

Artlifting
Resilient Coders
ARMR
Sunu

All of these companies employ people, and as they grow they'll employ more people - and there are more like this coming. So while I agree that you might have to choose between more harm and less harm at the start, there's a whole ecosystem of companies out there who are hiring people to help others, and it's getting bigger every year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

View Postthe.gladiator, on 20 December 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

Sorry if the topic wasn't that clear, so is my situation as you can see haha

This situation is hardly unique. College is often for people that don't really know what they want to do. Some incredibly successful people have gone as far as to even drop out of high school just to dedicate the time to their carrier pursuits. It's about focus, determination, & achieving goals. Others go onto to college & find them selves. While some get a degree that they never use.

Life is what you make of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +