3 Replies - 809 Views - Last Post: 24 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Thoughts on Using Blend

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

So I decided to start poking around with blend in WPF and one thing I notice so far is it seems to make crazy and unnecessary things in the XAML. I followed a few videos on YouTube with one provided by Microsoft such as creating a custom button with trigger styles.

It seems pretty neat.. But using it often seems to make the XAML messy. Using the tools causes it to always put in margins that need to be removed, aligning things I don't want aligned etc. It seems I often could do the same things in more simple ways by just creating my own resource dictionary and setting triggers and styles on my own. Chances are I could be using Blend wrong, I still have more I need to learn. Regardless I am just curious of the thoughts others have.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Thoughts on Using Blend

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Thoughts on Using Blend

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:33 AM

I use Blend to prototype things. When I'm happy with the effects, I then extract the essential attributes/structures out Blend and hand type them into my actual project's XAML.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the response. I was hoping I wasn't alone in thinking that is the best way to go about it. The way blend generated the xaml seemed similar to the disaster created when dragging and placing controls from the tool box. Surfing around hearing people talk about blend, I was surprised I didn't see anyone point out how messy it makes things. I felt like I wasn't understanding something.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 24 December 2016 - 12:27 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

The original concept for Blend was for developers to work on the back end code, while the UI designers work on the front end simultaneously. The UI designers could do all the whiz-bang eye candy without having to bug the developers, and it will just work. Since the UI designers typically are not as technical, and normally would not be doing any code reviews on the deltas made in the UI, it did not matter how crappy the resulting XAML was.

The reality though is that most companies are not big enough to have a separate UI design team from the development team. So now when the development team works on the UI, developers are usually curious enough to look at the resulting XAML. Additionally, devs are expected to do code reviews on anything they check into source control, so it even becomes more obvious about how ugly the generated XAML is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1