• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 2508 Views - Last Post: 20 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

2016 Year in review

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

2016 - Is drawing to a close, and it is a good point to look back across the previous year and reflect on the paths traveled and see how far they deviated from expectation, and to remember what surprises we came upon.

Put on that critical monocle and take a few minutes to examine the highs and lows and share with folks!

• How did the year go for you?
  • Did you make any goals you set?
  • What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
  • Single best tech moment?
  • How about in the personal life?
  • How have you grown as a person?
  • What did you think was the most overrated game, book, movie, news story, etc of the year? Under rated? .
  • What are you looking forward to for next year?
  • Would you rank this a good year or bad?
      Scale:
    • -10 = worst year ever
    • 0 = pretty bland year
    • 10 = greatest year ever!

.. my rant/post..
Spoiler

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 2016 Year in review

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2016 Year in review

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

Everyone died, the Fascists took the white house, so not great. On the other hand, read some good books, got some good stuff done at work, learned a thing here and there. I would say it was a +4 generally, with a -2 for the big reminder that just under half of my country is willing to vote for an incompetent idiotic gropey little perv, just because they hate black people and women and Muslims and Mexicans and sensible economic policy and competence generally, and a -2 for the grim outlook going forward (nice big recession barrelling down on us, no US participation in controlling climate change in the next four years, the Klan feeling frisky... kind of a massive bunch of bummers)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

Overall good year. Made my mark in the company, participated in a number of projects.

Programming - learned quite a bit in python, touched angular quite a bit as well, named on ground breaking project that will roll out in 2017.

Personal - made a few more friends after the move, still enjoying to decision to move north.

Overall - 6, really delighting in the pissed off liberals getting their panties in a bunch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

POPULAR

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Lord of Schwing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:17 AM

looks like somebody got laid
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

lol nope got a job :) :(

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 27 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

She can pay for the booty call now!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

How did the year go for you?
I'm gonna echo the sentiments that it was a fucked up year.
Spoiler

Did you make any goals you set?
Absolutely. My New Years Resolution was to "Put music before gaming." and I've done just that. There have been remarkably few days this year where I even played a single game, of those only 3 where I dedicated the entire day (last weekend was one of those when Neo got me Elite Dangerous :D/>/>/>/>), and not once did I game in lieu of music. I even got in my self-mandated 45 minutes of daily practice on those days.

What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
I've moved into working regularly in C#, so that's exciting I suppose. SignalR is pretty neato.

Single best tech moment?
My new job has had a lot of great little victories, but I'd say catching a failing server just as it started to fail and basically saving the business from utter disaster by pulling all the data off to a backup was pretty awesome.

How about in the personal life?
Lots of good moments here. The best was probably releasing my CD - that was extremely satisfying.

How have you grown as a person?
I've stopped being "safe." I realized that there are risks I was willing to take in hopes for better things - and took them. In September I quit my job and went to a much smaller company with only my own skill to support me; there isn't another dev in the building for me to lean on. It's been vastly rewarding and I've learned a whole lot.

What did you think was the most overrated game, book, movie, news story, etc of the year? Under rated?
Harambe. No one gave two fucks about that Gorilla til it was killed. I live in Cincinnati, and the closest you got was that he's included in a mural behind Camp Washington Chili that was up before his death. No one cares about Harambe. It's a fucking meme, and sure to that extent it's kind of funny BUT that's it. They feign compassion while completely ignoring what's happening in Syria. Meanwhile, Aleppo is in ruins.

As far as underrated...

3 movies came out this year that are all pushing for a place in my Top 5. I mean holy fuckballs. I really have to sit and think it out.
  • The Green Room - the last movie to star Anton Yelchin. Co-starring Alia Shawkat and Patrick Stewart. A thriller featuring a touring punk band trapped in a nazi punk bar after a show
  • Ordinary World - my personal bias towards Green Day is probably going to shine through on this. It's a slice of life story about a former punk rocker turning 40, coping with family life, and missing music.
  • Shin Godzilla - oh your god this is good. I've been freaking out for days since I finally saw it, and it is so damned good. First off, it's the first Godzilla movie ever to have a coherent and interesting story that wasn't only an excuse for Kaiju to be fighting each other on screen. It was written and directed by Hideaki Anno, the mind behind Evangelion, and it shows. A great reboot to the TOHO franchise, let's hope its sequels are even half as good.

What are you looking forward to for next year?Music, music, and more music. I think I'm going to try to put together a small tour. We'll see how it goes.

Would you rank this a good year or bad?
Yes. For me personally it's been very good. New job, the bands are going well, I'm in a good place mentally. Physically my weight is back up and I need to get that under control, but I'm already on it. My goal next year is going to be to get back in control of my weight. I'm also now a protected class (white male), so that's neat. Not. That brings us around to the bad; socially, the world is done. I've lost all faith in humanity and I truly believe we'll see a nuclear apocalypse in the next several years. I used to think "there's no way people in power would let that happen" and then...I was proven wrong.

Scale:
  • -10 = worst year ever
  • 0 = pretty bland year
  • 10 = greatest year ever!

Between Trump, Syria, Standing Rock, Tripoli, and the complacency of Muh Fella Muricans, I assign a -10.
For my personal life, I'd give it a +6.

So overall I give it a -2.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 December 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

Meh.

Nope.

Several PHP tricks that I remember flipping out over at the time, but currently cannot recall...

Single best tech moment?

The NES Classic Mini

It was good. Quiet. Consistent. Happy.

Wider. More bitter.

What did you think was the most overrated game, book, movie, news story, etc of the year?

I'm just sticking with movies and calling it done. Most underwhelming thing I watched in 2016: Alice Through the Looking Glass. I had such high hopes.

Under rated?

2016 film I adored that others think sucked: Rogue One. Jyn and Cassian kicked ass. And he's a sexy mofo, which didn't hurt...

What are you looking forward to for next year?

1. Getting hitched in June
2. Returning to Epic Nerd Camp in August
3. Being one year closer to the end of the reign of Lord Cheeto, the Tangerine Dildo

Personally, a solid +8.
Professionally, it breaks even.
Globally, I'd give it a -10.
So, when it's all said and done, it was a -2 kind of year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

BenignDesign said:

I adored that others think sucked: Rogue One.

You know people that didn't like it? I mean, sure, I've seen some grouch/grinches online, but no one in person has said that to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

All of my RL friends hated it. The two data analysts who share my office hated it. Our new friends from Nerd Camp hated it. Aside from the mancat and me, I don't know anyone else offline who claims to have enjoyed it at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

*sigh* Those people.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

First I want to ask Depricated where we can hear some of this music?

My year was pretty good, but the passing of years is getting on my nerves. I was 30 a couple days ago and then *poof* a whole decade+ disappeared.

I wrote a program for work using MVC architecture, and some half-dozen people use it every day including me. I learned I can make some useful, and I like it.

Single best tech moment?
This might have been last year, but I was ecstatic the first time I got a stack overflow. Then I got briefly depressed once I realized what I had done to make that happen.

What is this personal life you speak of? Work, school, eat, sleep.

What did you think was the most overrated game, book, movie, news story, etc of the year? Under rated?
Anything JJ Abrams touched. Dude, get your fingers off of my favorites!

In 2017, I will have finished the two year program at my community college. Also, I expect to start an internship. Sweet!

Everyone says 2016 was a terrible year. I agree, but it's only getting worse for the next four. Any Trump supporters who haven't been convinced of that will, in time, as US Diplomacy gets conducted via Twitter.

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

Overall it was the most "boring" year so far.

Some indeed. Some not.
Professionally Ive learned some new skills and practiced some new technologies. So that's the right news.
On the other hand, most of that progress based in the first half of 2016, while the second was more of a downtime.

As mentioned above I could make some serious improvements in modern web technology, Design Patterns and stuff like that.

Single best tech moment?
Nothing I can remember right now.

Nothing special to mention here. Only a few Highlights on the one hand, but no crushing stuff on the other side. So I guess it was more positive than negative.

Definitely. And I hope to do so in 2017 for which Ive set some serious goals.

What did you think was the most overrated game, book, movie, news story, etc. of the year? Underrated?
To be honest I have no idea. *G*

Depending on how some plans will work out, 2017 maybe one of the most forming years in my life.
Well see if I get the chance to make some serious steps forward or if these plans have to be delayed to 2018 or even put to rest.

Overall and compared to the ones before I think it was pretty lame.
Few highlights but some serious question mark for the future.
2017 can hardly be more of "Well, lets see next year!" like this one. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

In sum, 2016 was okay. Had gotten lured into a job at the end of the previous year only to discover in March that the guy I was working for had brought me on only to get his shit company off the ground. Day after I get his first two clients up and running, he fires me. He ended up firing every single person that was there over the next 60 days. This caused me to have to give back my brand new truck...so yeah, I was pissed about that. That said, I landed a decent gig that, while the pay isn't everything I could want, is undemanding, very flexible and has outstanding benes.

I don't tend to set goals. I prefer more to simply decide how I'd like to be and then use the direction to guide decisions that should get me there eventually. I started working out in November of '15 and I'm still doing that. I've learned a lot about health and fitness this past year and that caused me to do an entire reset on my exercise routine back in June. Things are progressing much better since. I'm a single dad with two teenagers full time (junior and freshman) and they run my ass ragged...but I wouldn't trade this time for the world. They have both excelled in school last year and are doing even better this year. They're growing up before my eyes and they're turning into truly fine young adults...which means that I can't be effing it up too badly.

The only thing new to me is my somewhat clumsy forays into cloud hosting (AWS and Azure). I have the incentive to expand on these but not the time nor the professional push (read: "nobody is paying me to do this yet") so they languish.

My single best tech moment was right after I got fired in March. The douche who fired me (owner of the company) had a falling out with his partner and she contacted me a few weeks after I was let go and asked if I could move her business' site from his control to hers (she owns a payroll firm on the side). I did so via simply pulling up the pages on the existing site, grabbing their source code and reproducing them on her server. They had an argument over money he owed her, had been threatening to cut her site off if she didn't agree to his ridiculous demands for loan forgiveness...so he triumphantly played his trump card and announced he was cutting her sites off. Except she owned the domains and we'd switched them over weeks earlier. He was outraged when the sites wouldn't go offline and when the clueless asshole finally figured it out, he actually accused her of hacking. She told him I had handled it all for her after he fired me so he called me to accuse me of the same. Best phone call of the year, right there. :)

For my personal life, I'm still dating a wonderful woman who lives entirely too far away from me. I get to see her a couple of weekends per month (when my kids are with their mother) and for a few weeks during the summer and extended holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. My kids get along well with her kids, my mom talks to her more than she talks to me and we're all very family to the point that we declared ourselves a domestic partnership back in August so that I could put her on my insurance and other such benefits.

I'm more patient these days. I'm in better physical shape. I'm more content emotionally. I was and continue to be exceptionally disappointed with the way people have reacted to politics this year. The habit of one side to label and separate everyone into discreet categories means that people don't seem to be Americans any more nor even allowed to be...and that division is hurting us. There is no feeling of obligation to play fair and get along with the other guy even if his politics differ with yours. It's as if politics has become the litmus test for socializing...which is a remarkably ironic twist given that the people I've seen bitch and complain and demonstrate this excluding habit the most also tend to be the ones who feel they're the most inclusive, open-minded and encompassing. The hypocrisy has been nauseating and astounding and doesn't bode well for our collective future.

As for overrated games/books/etc...I used to game a ton but I don't much anymore. I simply don't have the time. I had considered firing up Civ 5 last night but instead I ended up folding laundry til around 1AM. I've been reading a book series that was the basis for the movie Master and Commander but that 19 or 20 book series is coming to an end for me as I just started the last book. I only really get time to read it when I'm on the plane every other weekend so it's been slow going. My son and I started watching the Man in the High Castle series on Amazon. It's pretty good. I was the last person to the Game of Thrones series but I binge watched that over the summer so I'm caught up and looking forward to the final season.

As for looking forward to...I guess I'll be happy to simply keep doing what I'm doing and strive to keep things on track. My current activities are geared towards getting my kids through high school and off to college or whatever life they want to live afterward and then I can turn to considering what I want to do and where I want to go. So that's at least another 3 years off.

Outside of my personal life, the year was just so so. I realize most folks on here are likely younger than me so I can't get as worked up over how "awful the world is" blather because it has been much worse. For those who think we're all about to die, have WW3 and other assorted bullshit apocalypse fears simply because the Orange Menace will be in the White House I say: "settle the fuck down and grow up". Nothing is ever as great as it's made out to be nor as bad. How about actually waiting for something to actually happen that you can complain about as opposed to hysterical hyperbole about imagined disasters that likely won't come true.? Maybe act like an adult a little and wait and see. Just a suggestion.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +