4 Replies - 630 Views - Last Post: 30 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Operators Precedence, Graph Theory and Type Conversation

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:31 AM

Hi, I have just started learning programming I need to learn these subjects; Operators Precedence, Graph Theory and Type Conversation I actually know what they are and how to solve them, but I need to do practise. On the internet I could find too much easy things, I want much harder. Could you help me to find that kind of exercise?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Operators Precedence, Graph Theory and Type Conversation

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Operators Precedence, Graph Theory and Type Conversation

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

Nothing in this question is C/C++ specific. Moving to Computer Science...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:16 AM

Skydiver alright, what about my question?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:47 AM

Look for exercises that ask you parse polynomials expressions and then evaluate their values. The more interesting exercises increase the difficulty level by having you derive either the derivatives of the polynomial and then evaluate, or compute integrals of the polynomials without using numerical analysis methods -- e.g. do exact computations as if you were doing it on paper rather than normal computational approach of using Runge-Kutta or Newton's methods.

Polynomials naturally parse into trees (and therefore your graph theory) where the structure of the tree is determined by operator precedence. The type conversions come in as you are doing the parsing where you will typically take in the polynomial as a string and have to parse the terms and convert to coefficients and exponents from strings to floating point and integer values.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

Graph Theory is a very well defined subject. I'd suggest buying a textbook on it. Dough West's text and Reinhard Diestel's text are both excellent resources. West is a more introductory text that covers classical graph theory. Diestel's text requires substantially more mathematical maturity, and it covers more modern graph theory. West is a good book for learning graph theory, while Diestel provides a better background for aspiring researchers.

As for the other two, I'd buy a compilers textbook. The Aho, Ullman, Lam, and Sethi text is a standard compilers text.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1