13 Replies - 527 Views - Last Post: 30 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Student Programmer Needed

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:24 AM

We're three students looking for another talented student to write a programme capable of analysing financial markets based on set parameters.

If you're looking for a challenge that could add to your experience and skill set, help to build your CV, and possibly be the start of your client base for your future careers, then email [email protected] or [email protected] for more details and to discuss renumeration.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Student Programmer Needed

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Student Programmer Needed

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

Is this for paid or volunteer work?

Either way this really belongs in either the Post a Job forum or Volunteer Jobs and Collaborative Teambuilding

I have "reported" the post just so that it can be moved to the correct section, however if you could confirm which of the two this post relates, this will make sure it gets in the correct forum.

This post has been edited by maceysoftware: 30 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:13 AM

Apologies for the mistake, I am new to the forum. This is paid work, so I'm guessing the "post a job" forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:17 AM

Thats fine,

Thanks for the update.

I am sure someone will move it when they notice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:34 AM

** Topic has been moved to the forum Freelancing -> Post a Job -> Volunteer Jobs and Collaborative Team building **
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:11 AM

What is the timeframe?
Pay range?
Language and platform?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:31 AM

Time Frame is flexible. Pay range is negotiable, but as we are a start up and this project is helping us increase our profits in the markets we would be looking to give a percentage of the increase over a set period of time. language would be English. Everything else you may need to know we'd prefer to discuss privately.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:38 AM

Well.. I meant language as in programming language and operating system or web platform.. but so it goes. My interest has withered. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

Haha, well that's ever so slightly embarrassing, but hey ho, I'm a student and my interest is in finance. Thuss why I need a programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

Computational finance is quite a technical discipline. The math involved is at the graduate level- differential equations, stochastic calculus,
Martingales, and such. Competent folks can make a lot of money at computational finance firms. I doubt you'll find someone remotely qualified to do this for just the experience. Sorry to be harsh, but this is the reality of things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

I'm sorry if the post is misleading, but just to be clear, we are offering remuneration for the project. I haven't put the pay on there because we'll be looking to pay a negotiable percentage of our profits from using the programme. From my research that does seem standard procedure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

Standard procedure for what exactly, hiring someone? Most qualified people shy away from sweat equity terms, because they do all the work with no guarantee of pay. Yes, you may find someone that is looking for an interesting project to fill their time, but as a whole, the developer does all the work and is almost always screwed when the project is over.

So, it is not the norm in this field.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#13 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

Anyone working in this domain at a level sufficient to compete in the market will want to be well versed in the math involved, as well as issues related to high performance and scientific computing. These are very technical skills, which means that the average programmer won't cut it. It may be worth pursuing leads in the math and CS departments at your school, particularly as you see the key phrases scientific computing, numerical analysis, applied math, and mathematical finance. Perhaps a graduate student or talented undergrad would be interested in partnering with your team. Speaking as a graduate student, money or the potential to publish would be the key motivators. I doubt a grad student would be interested in a share of future profits without something substantial upfront.

To play devil's advocate, you and your team should give a lot of thought to what you each bring to the table. An undergraduate understanding of finance is not going to cut it. Anyone who works in mathematical finance will know substantially more than is covered in an undergrad finance program. You will likely be asked why this person should work with your team rather than get a high paying job at an existing firm or do this on his/her own. From posts, it is not at all clear what you all do or why someone would want to work with your team. You don't have to give out trade secrets, but you should be able to market your company a little better.

Just some food for thought. Best of luck in your endeavors!

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 30 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 30 December 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

So, it is not the norm in this field.

It's the normal ask, though. The same work is required, & regardless if the product is successful, is not the coders fault. What is normal, is no one ever takes "equity pay" jobs, however. I've never seen one worked to completion, or be successful. That's not to say it doesn't happen somewhere... but I've never seen it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1