Stuck in a hole

• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 2514 Views - Last Post: 06 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Stuck in a hole

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hey guys so the past couple of weeks I have had this problem with programming in general. I have finished the fundamentals and slowly again forgetting stuff because I never use them. I have NO idea what to make, I like game programming but don't know if I want to go back to it so soon because I never ended up using concepts like loops, inheritance, multi dimensional arrays, interfaces etc. And my code was a mess, I am currently doing database programming, I HATE sql just cause its annoying to set up and some errors that I don't understand I am sure once I understand it that I will enjoy it, but database in general isn't my thing I am just making a quick software that I need for my self.

I like making general applications like I made a pc cleaner software a couple months back in a windows form application that was fun, and my programming skills seemed to somewhat improve I was experimenting alot and I stumbled across things I never seen, I know experimenting is the key but I don't know what to experiment with.

My mind is focused on all the wrong things like becoming successful with programming, making it big in the future but I am trying to improve my programming skills by making projects but I don't know what to do next.

Do you guys think I should sign up for a place like Tree house? It's becoming the last resort for me, because for the past 2 years it feels like I have been going in circles achieving nothing. Web programming also looks very interesting to me but when I think about it I got this fear to not do it because I don't know what I want to make in the future. Any advice is appreciated thanks :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Stuck in a hole

#2 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Fuck Trump
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Stuck in a hole

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:28 PM

Maybe you don't actually like programming? I mean, it's not for everybody.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

Are you saying you are down in a hole; feeling so small? Maybe down in a hole and losing your soul? That you would like to fly but your wings have been so denied?

What do you expect to get out of this 'Tree House' joint?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

Hoping to expand my coding skills. I do like coding have been doing it for the past 2 years, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't like it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:53 PM

I don't know how you are learning now, but sure if you have the budget for it the site looks nice. Though if you just need to do projects then do projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

Modi that's what I said I don't know what to make. You don't want to know how I am learning (its a mess lol) But with the fundamentals I was all over the place then decided to finish a textbook and most the exercises, but now its trying to get better (by doing projects)

This post has been edited by Dialupp: 05 January 2017 - 10:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

I guess I missed that point. So we have these project lists:
Project Ideas
Martyr2 Mega Project List

.. peruse them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

I saw those links there was nothing that really appealed to me that or I don't I think I have the skills to do them, I don't know anything about networking, web design looks interesting but then again I don't know anything about it. Databases trying to stay away from, my question is what is the output supposed to be? I am thinking of doing the classes one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Fuck Trump
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

Gotta say, you're not talking like someone who's getting much joy from this programming. How about you take a break from that and talk about the part of programming that you like doing? That would at least give us a direction to work with. What was the last thing you worked on that really got you excited, that made you feel like things were connecting up and you were really firing on all cylinders?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

I agree to the point you should ask yourself whether programming is the real deal for you.
To me, it doesn't sound like your enjoying coding "as is" and that might lead to some serious problems in the future when it comes to more complicated errors in big projects with short-term time windows.

The good aspect of this is that the IT has many fields to offer besides writing code.
How about your interest in networks/servers/maintenance and so on?
Maybe this will lead a way out of your hole? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:35 AM

View PostDialupp, on 05 January 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

I have finished the fundamentals and slowly again forgetting stuff because I never use them. I have NO idea what to make
{...}
I do like coding have been doing it for the past 2 years, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't like it.

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a post:

I would disagree on all points:
  • You haven't been "doing it" for two years. You've been in school for it for two years. That's a far cry from actually doing it as a job.
  • You haven't been "doing it" at all. You said yourself you never use these skills.
  • If you genuinely liked coding for the sake of coding, it wouldn't be a chore coming up projects.

I've been a professional programmer for not quite 20 years. And an serious hobbyist since the first TRS-80 model 1. My skills don't go unused. In fact I can't find enough time to work on more. I have to pull myself way from coding to handle other life responsibilities. The same is true for every other developer I know that is actually a good developer that loves to code. Less so for those that just see it as a clean way to earn a living.

I have never had a problem coming up with projects. Very much the reverse: I can't find enough time for what I want to code. You say you like game coding: Where there is a world of projects. You can't walk into a store without hearing someone bitch about their software, so there are opportunities. Surely you have hobbies from hiking to photography that could lend to ideas of what to make. Everyone has a family member or friend trying to start some business or has a need from your kid's scout troupe that could use an app for tracking badges and trip permission slips to that sister-in-law selling jewellery at the weekend farmer's market and needs a tailored inventory program. Honestly, if you can't find project ideas throwing themselves at you as you walk through your everyday life - then you probably aren't in love with coding: You're in love with the *idea* of being a coder, getting to brag about it, seeing that look of awe when someone thinks you're then next Steve Jobs because you're a coding and they don't really know what that is, working in-doors where it is clean and air conditioned, being in the industry, etc. etc.

People who love what they do don't have to struggle to find ideas. If they love wood working they have a home shop and make furniture... If they love photography they don't wonder "what should I take a picture of?"... If they love baking nobody has to prod them to make cupcakes.

My suggestion is to find what you're passionate about and do that. What is that you would do for free the rest of your life if some benefactor paid your living? Maybe its nature photography. Maybe its cruising on ships. Maybe its making the 3d characters for games more than the coding of their logic. Maybe its driving truck and seeing the country without a boss over your shoulder.

You have three 8-hour periods a day: Work, life and sleep. Don't spend half of your waking life doing something that you aren't thrilled and excited and passionate about. Your job shouldn't be a struggle just to get enthused over.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:33 AM

Ok thanks for the advice guys. I thought I would tell you a bit of my story. I first started programming when I was 12-13 or so. Back then I didn't think about doing programming fundamentals it never popped up in my head I was just watching tutorials copying and pasting code, and even if I didn't copy and paste still didn't understand it got frustrated and gave up, back then making an antivirus really inspired me.

Fast forward couple years later, learning on the Unity Engine, that was pretty fun though I was really hoping when I started out with it that I wouldn't have to code because I thought I couldn't do it. Then later after making calculator programming I solved this bug which to me felt genius at the time lol, then from there I had the mentality "if I can code I can do anything" from there I was pretty much convinced I could become a coder, its pretty much the only thing I found hard. When I started programming fundamentals it was a MESS I couldn't choose the correct resource, firstly I liked videos then I got REALLY tired and sleepy during it because I guess couldn't understand it and got quickly frustrated, it was so bad that I couldn't watch even a 2-3 minute video without feeling really sleepy, later on while I kept trying and trying I eventually was able to watch 20 then 30 minute videos, then up to an hour and so one. It even got to the point where I could pretty much work on my game programming all day without ANY problems, solving the problems was fun and there was a sense of relief when they were solved. Though during this whole phase I wasn't sure whether or not I enjoyed programming because I felt really sleepy during videos I couldn't stay on one resource I kept jumping from videos to books, to websites etc. Eventually, I found out I liked coding, to me its NOT an option to give it up not after 2 years I completely refuse. Though one thing I should mention the reason I haven't quit is because I quit when I was 13 and I regret it alot, and I don't want to regret it again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Licensed PITA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

Give it up. I have embarked down a lot of paths that just weren't for me, I didn't stay on it just because of the time invested, I went another direction to find what I WANTED to do. You need a divorce from programming! If you did like it, you wouldn't have an issue with finding things to do with it, and the only reason you would jump between books/videos/ websites is because there is still so much to learn. Instead, you are wasting what you did learn and wanting to invest in learning more on something that, from the sounds of it, you realistically have no interest in.

My hobby programming has slowed down drastically, but that is only because I am so mentally drained after work, that I don't want to look at the computer. AND even in those scenarios, I am still taking additional Udemy courses.

Bottom line, if you had the interest you would use the skill. Because you aren't doing that, I don't believe you do.
I was a mechanic once, I DON"T WORK ON MY VEHICLES! Is it getting thru?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#14 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

I started writing code when I was about 9 years old. I remember hitting that spot that Dialupp is in where it felt like I was stuck in a hole when I was around 13 or 14 and was considering giving up programming and going into a completely different field. Beyond the usual teenage angst and trying to find one's identity, I was feeling that all that stuff that I'd worked on was not good enough because I kept on comparing all the things I'd produced to all the flashy software and games I was seeing in the magazines and in the computer stores. It was sucking all the joy of coding out of me because I kept on thinking "How will I make it big if I'm producing clay hand print ashtrays while other folks are selling fine porcelain plates?" It took me about a year to figure out that I derived joy from programming because it helped me explore, learn, and solve problems. If my programs made my life or somebody else's life a little bit easier, then it's a nice fringe benefit. It was a matter of writing code for myself, rather than writing code to show off to others.

That was over 30 years ago. Writing code still dominates my life both as a source of income, as well as, as source of joy. It is something that I truly love doing. Learning new things and seeing how things evolve over time is fascinating.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Licensed PITA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:32 AM

Honestly, I was at that point as well. My biggest thing however, was things just weren't clicking in my head. Data structures, algorithm design, hell even syntax were causing me a lot of grief. I attributed it to, I just wasn't ready for it yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +