Did my ass kill my motherboard ?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

42 Replies - 4470 Views - Last Post: 28 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Did my ass kill my motherboard ?

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

who on earth uses a wired mouse these days ??

Someone who is told a mouse must be high tech to be better than all others. A mouse only works at its computer. Nobody needs 'wireless' with constant battery changing, more complicated hardware, an easily lost USB attachment, and it is easily misplaced like a TV remote control. Why? So that my nose can be higher my neighbor's?

A wireless mouse solves no problems and only makes more. One must remember to switch it off when done. Then discover a computer cannot be used until after trooping to a store for more batteries. Somehow that is progress?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#32 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

FYI.. My wireless mouse uses a single AA that needs changed out a little over a once a year with near consistent daily use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:11 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 22 March 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

... a single AA that needs changed out a little over a once a year ...
Only if you remember to turn it off every day. Too much work (even once a year) with more complicated hardware to solve nothing. For a mouse that easily gets misplaced because it is wireless ... for not one good or useful reason.

Only item better than a wires mouse is a Kinetic. Who needs all those complicated hand motions and hardware to do what a simple wired mouse does better? No one. Wireless mouse - a complicated solution that solves no problem. And creates new problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#34 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:19 AM

Except that is not accurate at all. I haven't turned my mouse off at all since I bought it. Zero times. I still get shy over a year for one AA. Sure.. worst case scenario the western hemisphere has zero AA batteries and my mouse warns me of low battery. At best I loose one restrictive cord, and can use my mouse an any location in a given room.

As for the kinect - it's an interesting alternative input that removes the entire need for a mouse. At friends and associates homes it looks to work pretty easily for navigating TV channels and or a media platform.

Admittedly it's a a wee bit strange to be beaten to the draw on a "get off my lawn" this early in the monring. Kudos. I need to step up my game. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:29 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 March 2017 - 06:19 AM, said:

Except that is not accurate at all. I haven't turned my mouse off at all since I bought it.

A guy with a wireless mouse has repeatedly discovered dead batteries because someone did not turn it off. You are irrelevant to the topic. Demonstrated for all others is a wireless mouse recommended only because it is high tech - nothing more. It solves nothing - as demonstrated in every reply. Something more complicated that always needs batteries and solves nothing is not recommended or needed. Please address the OP's real issue. Stop recommending a wireless mouse that solves nothing - does nothing to justify it. That has only wasted bandwidth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#36 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

It is an alternative input device connection option that has benefits.

Please read the posts and recognize who is recommended a wireless mouse to start with and who didn't. I am simply responding to your defective information that a wireless mouse needs a battery change every day and/or has no other benefits.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

You are irrelevant to the topic

If I remember correctly, the topic of this conversation was "Did my ass kill my motherboard ?" :rolleyes:

I hate wired mice, the wire often deviates my movements because it gets caught in or pushes against obstacles (feet of the screens, desk plant, side of the keyboard, itself). Sometimes its configuration gives it the tension of a spring, other times a portion of it will hang out of the desk and pull the mouse because of its weight... and it simply clutters the desk !

I have a graphics tablet but I sometimes retouch photos with the mouse in order to relax my fingers, or 3D model, or do design layouts, and having my movements deviated is not pragmatic at all. Wireless mice can be professional tools, not only high tech gadgets.

But I must admit I always have a wired mouse in a drawer because, although the battery doesn't fail often (it depends A LOT on the model of the mouse), it always fails while you are using it, and sometimes after long and stressful work sessions my hand feels tired and I prefer to lift a light mouse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:32 AM

View Postge∅, on 23 March 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

If remember correctly, the topic of this conversation was "Did my ass kill my motherboard ?"

A wireless mouse does nothing to solve that defect. Defined in http://www.dreaminco...ost__p__2303781 were the problems and how to solve them.

Static electric discharge would stop happening when room humidity increases with the weather change. That still does not solve a defective grounding problem described earlier.

Chassis ground and digital motherboard ground must be separate as described. If not, static electric solutions routinely implemented even in keyboards and a mouse may be compromised. Wireless mouse, UPS, or power supply do not cure the defect. Static electricity is an excellent diagnostic tool (as demonstrated) to identify that defect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:54 AM

View Postwestom, on 26 March 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

Chassis ground and digital motherboard ground must be separate as described.

Actually, you didn't describe how you separate the two.

To my knowledge, the motherboard is connected to the chassis through the metal pieces around the mounting holes, they seem to be connected by design. I thought static electricity was dissipated via the PSU which is connected to the ground. I never worried about it and I don't think I have read any warning in the instruction manual of either the motherboard or the chassis.

What exactly are you suggesting ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

View Postge∅, on 28 March 2017 - 02:54 AM, said:

View Postwestom, on 26 March 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

Chassis ground and digital motherboard ground must be separate as described.

Actually, you didn't describe how you separate the two.

Actually I did. If a static electric current does not have an incoming and a different outgoing path through a motherboard, then that current does not pass harmfully through digital ground. It only passes through chassis ground. This well understood concept is called single point ground. Digital ground and chassis ground must meet only at one point. Then direct static electric discharge currents do not pass through digital ground.

Yes, many do mount a motherboard with many connections to chassis ground. Those computers are more easily interrupted (or harmed) by static electricity.

Best place for single point ground is where PSU and I/O devices are connected. All other mounting holes are best supported by nylon.

I often mention separating grounds. But do not detail it because some only get angry rather than curious. Few read with sufficient care to ask what you have asked. All grounds are interconnected - and are electrically different. Digital ground is different from chassis ground, is different from receptacle safety ground, is different from breaker box ground, is different from earth ground electrodes, is different from utility transformer ground, is different from TV cable ground, is different from ... well, all are interconnected and are electrically different. Ground loops (ie hum) occur when one does not understand this and does not understand why "single point grounding" techniques are required.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

I am not savvy enough to get emotional about it ;)

I found this guide which advises to use plastic standoffs in some places but oddly enough violates your one-point rule https://web.archive....dcomp/mountmobo

I don't think plastic standoffs were included with my hardware. I wonder if this is dependent on the motherboard's design or if one can safely apply this recommendation for any build. Could it be possible for example that some areas of the motherboard can (or should) only ground via the mounting hole next to them for some obscure technical reason ?

It is fortunate you guys fought about wireless mice, otherwise I would have missed this input. For some reason I assumed you were referring to the wiring of the front panel connectors which had been verified.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

View Postge∅, on 28 March 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

I found this guide which advises to use plastic standoffs in some places but oddly enough violates your one-point rule https://web.archive....dcomp/mountmobo

Most who assemble computers know nothing about electricity. So a 500 watt supply is recommended for a computer that only consumes about 100 watts most of the time and never more than 250 watts in short bursts. Then help lines are not clogged teaching basic electrical concepts. Electrical knowledge is often that little.

They note nylon and brass standoffs. But do not say 'why' one or the other must be used. Best is to ignore a recommendation that does not also say why.

White and yellow circles look same to me. So I do not know what he did.

Many connectors from peripherals also feature isolated digital and chassis (or shield) grounds. Careful examination (with an eyelet) might discover these features (connections) that increase reliability.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

The standoffs next to the I/O and expansion sots are brass, and the other ones are nylon.

I personally thought that since ATX is a standard, ATX chassis and ATX motherboard should be safe to assemble without "low level" knowledge, but it seems like you can still screw up (as in mounting screws. hehe, hehehe. Got the joke? hehe. Got it ?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +