3 Replies - 3406 Views - Last Post: 28 December 2007 - 07:15 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to create gpedit's tools in Windows Server 2003 ?

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:16 AM

Hi, experts, i'm using Windows Server 2003 x32 SP1. I want to develop own gpedit's tools to edit only few of it, it is too many thing in the given gpedit, but i have no idea about the code of gpedit.msc, and it is related to registry, so is it possible to create own gpedit's tools ?

Thanks...
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to create gpedit's tools in Windows Server 2003 ?

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to create gpedit's tools in Windows Server 2003 ?

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:06 AM

Well based on what your trying to do it really would be more work to create what you want in a application. GPedit is really just a front end application that modify group policy at AD (Active Director) level and or Local Machine level. The back end of the application is all command based and just automates the process of having to enter in all the information to do what you want.

It would be possible to slime down GPedit by making your own version of it but you would need to have a strong understanding of Active Directory and programming applications for it. You will more then likely be working with a couple MS API for Win 2k3 and AD. Also remember group policy can be altered via the command line but particular actions must interface directly with AD. What languages do you currently program with/ can write applications with?

This post has been edited by lockdown: 27 December 2007 - 08:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

View Postlockdown, on 27 Dec, 2007 - 08:06 AM, said:

Well based on what your trying to do it really would be more work to create what you want in a application. GPedit is really just a front end application that modify group policy at AD (Active Director) level and or Local Machine level. The back end of the application is all command based and just automates the process of having to enter in all the information to do what you want.

It would be possible to slime down GPedit by making your own version of it but you would need to have a strong understanding of Active Directory and programming applications for it. You will more then likely be working with a couple MS API for Win 2k3 and AD. Also remember group policy can be altered via the command line but particular actions must interface directly with AD. What languages do you currently program with/ can write applications with?

Thanks, but i think create a new tools are difficuit for my level now, so is it possible to edit the original gpedit's tools? i just want to delete the less that not needed in root tree, i test the gpedit.msc already, but no idea... it's seem like php, but as i know it is C/C++ for API with Active Directory and MMC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:15 AM

GPedit is a Microsoft created application and is not open source nor was the code ever release publicly. So with out the code you can modify gpedit directly and even if you some how got the code it would be illegal to modify it without Microsoft permission. Some people have reverse engineered gpedit I believe but that is also illegal and time consuming.

The only way around this is to create a C/C++ application with the API for activity directly and like you said also the MMC (Microsoft Management Console) to get what you would like. Also gpedit was created in either C/C++ or VB I believe but I am not sure exactly which one. But a C++ application could be built to do what you would like it just will take some time to create the app and get the API's all working correctly.

This post has been edited by lockdown: 28 December 2007 - 07:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1