2 Replies - 953 Views - Last Post: 06 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Rust, the next great WTF do we need another language, language

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

So, this is one way to get your language, that no one would care about otherwise, into the wild:
Mozilla binds Firefox's fate to the Rust language

Without the hyperbole, if it's in the guts of the product, who cares? Google has Go, Apple has Swift, GTK+ has Vala, you get the idea.

There was something about Go syntax that always annoyed me. Rust actually looks moderately interesting.

Seems to have the ever popular imperative declarative fusion thing going on. From the recommended book:

Rust is a systems programming language focused on three goals: safety, speed, and concurrency. It maintains these goals without having a garbage collector...
-- https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/

Seems a bold statement, but I haven't gotten far enough to spot the catch.

Anyone playing with this or planning to?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Rust, the next great WTF do we need another language, language

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Rust, the next great WTF do we need another language, language

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 06 February 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

Anyone playing with this or planning to?

I've played with it a bit back in 2015.

Seems a bold statement, but I haven't gotten far enough to spot the catch.

The catch is the same as you get with any sufficiently strong static guarantees: you'll need to invest some effort into making the static verifier happy. In the case of Rust this means having to put lifetime annotations everywhere to explain to the borrow checker why your references are used safely.

It's not as bad as statically preventing index-out-of-bounds errors, but it definitely requires more effort than just not thinking about it as you would in a garbage collected language.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Rust, the next great WTF do we need another language, language

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

Any language designed to do what C++ does without all the gotchas of C++ is a-ok in my book. I'm hoping to build nontrivial stuff with Rust this year.

Java gets me pretty far when it comes to building nearly anything. Ruby is good for scripting, simple web stuff. Clojure is nice for when I want to do black magic. But sometimes I want to write a tool where memory usage is deterministic and low, and Rust seems well-suited for that, and also sane in a lot of ways that Go isn't.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1