• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 2503 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Bachelor Thesis - Need softwares developed by Software Engineers

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:34 PM

Hello,

I am new to dreamInCode, so ill start of with a short introduction and get straight to the point.

I am a software engineer and I am currently doing my Bachelor Thesis which is supposed to be about 'How secure are softwares developed by 'new' software engineers?. Please note, I chose this question myself, so if you have ideas that makes it more specific, or maybe even angled a bit differently, please feel free to share them.

So, to be able to do this bachelor thesis, I need softwares, which I am allowed to test their security on, by dissasembling and working some magic to eventually bypass security or discover security threats.

More specifically, I am asking for help to find open source projects (I wont need the actual source code, but I will need to have the rights to play around with the software) OR, you can provide me with one of yours (assuming you are a software engineer).

Why should you provide me with one of yours?
Two reasons
1. I will report the security holes personally to you but also provide you with code/instructions on how to patch it
2. For the fun's sake :)

Thanks!

And I do realize this topic MAY not be in the correct subforum, but I could not find a more suitable one, but if its placed wrongly, please move it to the propper subforum and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bachelor Thesis - Need softwares developed by Software Engineers

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Bachelor Thesis - Need softwares developed by Software Engineers

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

What's wrong with your search options for open source projects?

aaaaaaaand, no. You don't get any of my projects to whack away on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

Welcome to DIC papaBizz.

So, to start, this is likely the wrong forum to post your request to. At first glance, your request looked...well...kinda sketchy. However, I did read it again and I think I get where you're trying to go.

In that spirit, I'll suggest you try clicking on this link and see how you fare in your efforts there. They host a ton of open source projects and that hosting is, in part, to help facilitate others who want to help locate and plug security holes in those applications.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

Thank you for that link, but it is hard to filter out projects made by software engineers, hence my post...

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 07 February 2017 - 09:39 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

... because a physics / english / art history major or a non-degree-holding person would be bad?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 February 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

... because a physics / english / art history major or a non-degree-holding person would be bad?

Not at all, but then I would have to change my research question.

Currently its something along this line "How secure are softwares developed by software engineers", changing it to "How secure are softwares developed by a standard developer" does not seem as interesting as the prior one.

DO you have any suggestions on how I can make the question more interesting then?

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

I won't be of help as I know what questions interest me, but I certainly do not know what interests you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

Moved to Software Development (certainly nothing to do with ColdFusion).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 February 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

I won't be of help as I know what questions interest me, but I certainly do not know what interests you.

I am only asking for suggestions to make to question fall more attractive, so your ideas/interests wont hurt anyone if shared :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:57 AM

Honestly - I would punt the topic for something different. "I want to attempt to poke holes in some one's app" seems small, trite, and questionable on what sort of information you are able to extrapolate from some lone dev's app that may or may not even have security on the list. Certainly you won't find folk willing to turn the keys over for an actual business used app or commercial product.

I always took a thesis as putting out there a new theory and proving it using the info you have. What does trying to disassemble some dude's app going to provide or what useful information will it provide?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

I think the answer will be "not very".

A more positive slant would be to establish a gold standard to be able to say "this software is secure!" (or as secure as can be established at a given point).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 February 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

Honestly - I would punt the topic for something different. "I want to attempt to poke holes in some one's app" seems small, trite, and questionable on what sort of information you are able to extrapolate from some lone dev's app that may or may not even have security on the list. Certainly you won't find folk willing to turn the keys over for an actual business used app or commercial product.

I always took a thesis as putting out there a new theory and proving it using the info you have. What does trying to disassemble some dude's app going to provide or what useful information will it provide?

Studying how secure a software developed by a software engineer may not show its importance at the first glance, but if you think about it. What if the results are that they are ridiculously easy to crack? - Then, a business must invest in IT-security guys, to patch holes that seems trivial, i.e, a business is losing money. Then again, if SE's knows more about security, can it in its turn save the company money?

Just a few points, many more to pick along the actual research

View Postandrewsw, on 07 February 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

I think the answer will be "not very".

I believe you were seconds to quick with that reply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

Brah - you don't need to quote the posts.

I am going to call shenanigans on your justification response. On the outer most layer you are not dealing with a real (or even fictitious) business, but some dude willing to give you free reign on his app.

On a deeper layer - why is making business recommendations important to your thesis or the cornerstone? What new information, idea, or concept is that birthing into the world? Yawn dilly-awn. "Apps are not always secure" .. sure, while I'm at it: water is wet, fire burns, and wind blows - news at Eleven.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 February 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

Brah - you don't need to quote the posts.

I am going to call shenanigans on your justification response. On the outer most layer you are not dealing with a real (or even fictitious) business, but some dude willing to give you free reign on his app.

On a deeper layer - why is making business recommendations important to your thesis or the cornerstone? What new information, idea, or concept is that birthing into the world? Yawn dilly-awn. "Apps are not always secure" .. sure, while I'm at it: water is wet, fire burns, and wind blows - news at Eleven.

never claimed making business recommendations being the important part, although I believe I have stressed the importance of the actual security of the software, if that is not clear by now, I hope this reply removes other beliefs.

Anyways, what it could bring to the world is awareness of that SE's knows too little of security, making them less efficient - OR confirming that SE's knows enough around the security of their softwares.

Juding by your posts, it seems that you and me do not get along well since we fall into other topics, I would kindly ask you either to come with suggestions on the actual questions or if you know any sources where theres software developed by SE's. Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

So not quite catching on to the: just.. use.. the.. reply button. Gotcha. :^:

Okely dokely.. firmly hold on to that flimsy justification for the existing project. :D

Suggestions on topics? Dude - this is _your_ thesis. Maybe not the best idea to farm the interwebz for your idea. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +