• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 1756 Views - Last Post: 11 April 2017 - 08:29 AM

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

AMD vs Intel - a new world?

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

So, as I am sure many (if not all) of you already know AMD has announced their Ryzen processors, which are expected to launch around the end of March this year and give Intel processors a run for their money.

Some things to consider is that the Ryzen 8 core stock 3.6GHz with Turbo Boost to 4.0GHz is supposed to run around $500 (USD). Intel's equivalent processor (8 core, stock 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.7HGz) costs over $1000 (USD). Obviously, both processors can be overclocked above the numbers listed here.
Source on Ryzen: https://www.extremet...cpu-leak-online

This is the start of a potentially really interesting fight between AMD and Intel considering we are getting more powerful processors (based off of raw marketing numbers and not looking at feature sets or benchmarking numbers, since those obviously don't exist for the Ryzen line at this time) for under half the cost. When you take into account that the Ryzen processors are also supposed to be 95 W or less in comparison to Intel's power hungry lineup (at least of their current enthusiast processor lines - of ~140 W), that is a considerable savings.

Now, yes, Intel is said to be launching their Skylake enthusiast processors (of up to 10 cores I believe) in the August time frame this year (theoretically in response to AMD's Ryzen launch); but will the price be competitive enough for enthusiasts to choose to stick with Intel over taking a chance with AMD and saving between half and 2/3s the money?

Are any of you guys following Ryzen/ planning on getting one when they arrive?
Holding out for Intel's response?
Do you think this is going to drastically (or at all) change the industry?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: AMD vs Intel - a new world?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: AMD vs Intel - a new world?

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

I doubt this is going to overly change the market make up.. let's be honest - amd/intel are the only two games in town. Am I holding out for either? Naw - I upgrade on my own schedule and try not to beholden to the marketing blitz. Usually a videocard or two between a new motherboard/cpu upgrade.

Fun reads:
Intel confirms 8th-generation CPUs will stick to 14nm node

AMD: Sorry, there will be no official Ryzen drivers for Windows 7
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

That's interesting that Intel isn't moving to 10nm yet. Though, I have also heard tell that they are planning on completely re-engineering their processors for 2020 since they are hitting the limits of physics with their current die.

I too only upgrade on my own schedule, but at this point I have had my box for almost 4 years meaning, and some of the workloads I run on my home box are a bit demanding on the CPU. As a result, and based off of the hope/ perspective timeline of 2TB SSDs (hopefully) going to <$400 (USD) by the end of this year, I am considering upgrading my machine as a whole (since I tore off a motherboard PCIe slot... it was an accident...). I figure I am going to have to reinstall Windows, so it will count against my 3 or 5 (or whatever the number is) of reinstalls with a given license, so I might as well upgrade other things at the same time if I am going to.

Now, I'd absolutely love to get a 10-core processor for my gaming desktop, but at ~$1500 it is a bit hard to stomach that cost for the processor alone. $500 is much more reasonable. And as soon as I get a new processor my current motherboard will need to be upgraded since it has an LGA 2011 socket (not the 2011v3 socket that the current Intel enthusiast processors require), and I'll also need to upgrade RAM to DDR4.

Now, one things that is also relatively interesting is that AMD and Intel aren't exactly the only players in town anymore. ARM is coming out with some beastly processors as well, some up to 22 cores (at ~$1000), if they got hyper threading on those ARM chips and games recompiled for them, I would be all over that... at least assuming they had relatively nice clock speeds.
http://www.pcworld.c...rket-fades.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

True that.. I am sitting on a i5 4670 Haswell / 16gb DDR / GTX 950 2GB and been doing fine. I think I can squeeze one more video card jump and see where things flop. Else it's a whole new chip/board/ram/psu/hd upgrade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

Yeah I keep tweeting to AMD asking them for a release schedule but they're holding out. I really want to know when the various sub architectures and clock speeds will arrivee (Q1/Q2/etc). I have been holding out upgrading for a while and I can't wait to check out the new Ryzen. I haven't bought any new significant hardware in a few years but my comp runs really fast due to running XP with about 30 processes max at a time (windows 10 is over 80 usually). I really miss the days when AMD was actually faster than Intel once you overclocked them and for cheaper. I hope Ryzen will harken back to the days of the thunderbird core where AMD was annihiliating intel for half the cost and giving unlocked multipliers to boot.

I was going to do a new computer build using the 4.4GHZ(4.7~) 8core AMD FX (can't remember the codename) but since it's at the very top end of it's architecture lifecycle I decided to wait.

I do a ton of Audio, Image and Video editing so AMD is the way to go for me. AMD for me has always been better for these types of applications but the newer synthesizer models are starting to stretch my hardware at the end of my 45 minute audio projects... my creativity is starting to get hindered by my 4 year old hardware.

As for games, I only play Counterstrike source so my comp is fine for that.. I can even run FL studio in the background while I play til about 40% CPU then it gets a bit choppy lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

my comp runs really fast due to running XP

XP? As your daily driver? :blink:

I hope Ryzen will harken back to the days of the thunderbird core

To be clear you mean the ol' t-birds from 2000? Cartridge slotted ones?

As before, all indications point to a March 2 launch date,

http://www.pcgamer.c...-pricing-leaks/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

XP? As your daily driver? :blink:

Well yeah, on my home computer. My work computer is on windows 10 and the load times are horrible despite having comparable clock speeds (Although home computer is 500mhz faster and usualy AMD faster clock per clock). I don't really have any problem with XP... the way I look at it, if it's not broke.. don't fix it. The original reason that I went back to XP from win7 was that when I was running FL studio I noticed that in win7 there was a slightly higher effective latency on midi input.. VERY SMALL and barely noticable to most but I can tell the smallest difference in latency because I've played my instruments live for years.

To be clear you mean the ol' t-birds from 2000? Cartridge slotted ones?

Bit before when I started doing procs, I had only done a Voodoo 2 upgrade (3dfx) at that point.

I only started installing and OCing procs when the Palomino cores started coming out... I don't remember them being slotted but they might have been. I'm pretty sure I started OCing in 2001 and I thought the first proc I OC'd was a 1GHZ thunderbird but it's been so long I could be off. I just remember by the time Athlon XP was out I was in computer shops reading the numbers on their OEM chips to find the unlocked ones.

As before, all indications point to a March 2 launch date,

http://www.pcgamer.c...-pricing-leaks/
[/quote]

Lol i can't see that one.. it's blocked where I'm @ ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

XP..God I couldn't possibly go back to that...

Win 10 Pro all the way for me...

Last PC I built was a six core AMD with Gigabyte board 650W PSU dvd/cd writer 3gb Radeon Graphics card 16gb ram 1TB hard drive
wifi card pci - express win 10 pro (genuine windows of course)

AMD 6 Core FX 6300 4.1Ghz + Gigabyte 78LMT USB 3.0 was only 130 whole deal cost around 300, built it for the kids as a gaming machine...

runs as this seamlessly all games run perfectly, downloads on this machine truly impressive copying files to usb 3.0 ports are blistering.

As for Ryzen thinking of building a media centre in the summer otherwise I have to agree with modi no need to rush out and spend money if you don't have to..

University fund for kids more important than blowing all your money on a new processor and motherboard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

That'll be the fun part - lacking OS drivers on an architecture three years after end of support.

Probably not lies.. AMD Ryzen Architectural Deep-Dive
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

Yeah I'm actually switch back to Win7 soon, just procrastinating dropping the hundo. I like win7 just as much as XP.. but really if you're not gaming there's not as much motive to switch over. If I needed DX 11 I'd have switched long ago but when you're running midi instruments and high CPU loads there's really no reason to switch to newer OSs provided the drivers are there for XP. [IMO] ... however I literally have the best mobo you can but that still supports XP... LOL so it's about to go bye bye. Still hanging onto all the memories tho :P

Modi, thanks for sharing the link... and I hear ya snoopy lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

Pre-order and pricing info.
http://ir.amd.com/ph...icle&ID=2248241
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

OHH yeah!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

FYI presale started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

broke. lolol!! but a man can dream haha jk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:27 AM

I'm running a 4790k i5 with 16GB of DDR3 & a Nvudia 970 Ti. It'll be many years before my next upgrade. I like to get my money's worth. Always been intel but maybe AMD can change my mind before my next build!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +