19 Replies - 1707 Views - Last Post: 11 April 2017 - 08:29 AM

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: AMD vs Intel - a new world?

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:25 AM

View Posthexagod, on 15 February 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

Yeah I'm actually switch back to Win7 soon

Been there. My wife's Win7 laptop was circling the drain.

For a very reasonable $260 I got: HP Pavilion 15 15.6-Inch Laptop (AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 , 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD+/-RW, Webcam, Wifi, HDMI,Windows 10),Black ( https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01EMWKFEC )

This was a huge upgrade, though of course it had Windows 10. I use Win10 at work. I like it. It don't really see the hate. But, where there is Win 10 hate burns hot.

Lots of hate. Enough hate to buy another bloody box. I found referb for a more painful $430, though with excellent specs and the all important Win7: Dell Latitude E6430 14 Business Laptop PC, Intel Quad Core i7 Processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD+/-RW, Nvidia 5200M, Windows 7 Professional ( https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01N8ULW00 )

This has met with rave reviews. I fear I'll be supporting Windows 7 for many years to come.

Well, I now have a cute little Win 10 box. Though I may end up putting Chrome OS on it...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

I don't mind Win10 but personally I think it seems to run slower than win7 with all other factors the same. Like I think I said before the reason I went back to XP from Win7 is that there was a tad bit less latency for the same sample rates in fruity loops using yamaha midi controller.

It just seems to me like XP supports nothing anymore (especially the x64 version) and less things are running in it than used to. Going back to Win7 will primarily be for video editing purposes as none of the good video editors will run in XP anymore. I also used to think that Win7 used more CPU at idle but lately I've been noticing that XP and win7 seem to use about the same amount of resources at idle; whereas windows 10 seems to use a BUNCH of system resources when it's idling. It's got a lot more built in features so that's gotta have something to with it.

For me, simpler is better, which is why I like XP. It boots in about 10 seconds from the time I press the start button, my work computer takes 10 minutes to boot (slower CPU less memory but no by much).

XP's main problem for me is that it's starting to become a problem for my software development. I can't run unity, I can't run the latest VS, none of the SDKs other than CS:S will run on my computer. I need to upgrade so that I can start developing software on my home computer.

There's something magical though about a computer that is only running 28 total processes. Most of the work computers I deal with are @ over 100! It's not the speed of a computer that makes it fast it's the configuration (welllll annnndd the parts ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Seems only the good Lord would know why you have a ten minute boot up process. Going from 7 to 10 I noticed a faster boot for sure.

XP's main problem for me is that it's starting to become a problem for my software development.

Tends to happen when end of support was April 2014. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 February 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

Seems only the good Lord would know why you have a ten minute boot up process. Going from 7 to 10 I noticed a faster boot for sure.

XP's main problem for me is that it's starting to become a problem for my software development.

Tends to happen when end of support was April 2014. :^:/>/>

I think it has something to do with my work's network... it's got to. I have no idea what the computer is doing, either, because it just says "please wait" the whole time and I didn't build it. Anyone know if there's an equivalent to how you used to be able to press ESC and see what it was doing?

Yeah I mean I'm not hatin on them for stopping support for it, but for the past 6 years literally the only two things Ive done on my home computer are FL Studio and Counterstrike, maybe a BIT of web browsing too,web music etc... but if you're doing those things XP is pretty much fine as long as you monitor your security and do backups. I like the older style GUI

This post has been edited by hexagod: 27 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:29 AM

And, as it so happens, AMD is continuing the offensive with the Ryzen 5 line of processors bringing 6-cores to the masses (or at least far more affordable than equivalent 6-core Intel processors): https://www.newegg.c...Item=19-113-434
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +