7 Replies - 930 Views - Last Post: 18 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Masters degree - smart home ideas for dissertation

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:18 AM

Hello,

I am doing Masters degree in Computer Science and its nearly time to write my dissertation. I really enjoy Smart Home subject and I believe there would be a lot to learn/reseach in this topic. However I am really struggling for my dissertation title and my Project tutor is not replying to my emails. Do you have any suggestions? What would you enjoy reading about and find out when it comes to Smart Home?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Masters degree - smart home ideas for dissertation

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Masters degree - smart home ideas for dissertation

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

I'm not sure you're asking the right audience.

This is a development site. Most of the people here don't want/need to hear a dissertation about smart homes in some theoretical abstract way. We're the guys that actually MAKE the smart homes, use the technology and make the software.

The crowd here goes to conferences to hear about the brand new tech coming on the market to do what they want. This is the demographic that watches Apple's announcement about opening up their HomeKit API to third party developers and immediately go download it and start writing software to integrate geo-fensing of the phone to their home wifi camera then use facial recognition to unlock the Bluetooth deadbolt. So unless your homework is to actually MAKE a well integrated smart home then write a technical briefing about the challenges and how you overcame them, along with source code... It probably wouldn't hold a lot of interest with most developers.

Without being too disparaging, developers out in the wild don't take a lot of stock in what students have to say due to lack of any real-world experience or meaningful input they can offer. They mostly just regurgitate what their 10 year old text book says; until they get a job actually developing which is where their real education begins. I'm sure if you were to re-read your own post you could see why. You're basically saying you're getting a masters but can't even title it on your own.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 16 February 2017 - 05:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

First off, lets get some terminology correct. You don't write a dissertation for a Master degree, you write a thesis - dissertation is for a PhD. Typically for a Masters thesis you want to find a specific topic and narrow down research, preferably that has non or very little related work. The broad topic of "Smart Home" is not specific enough, rather you need to focus on a specific subset of that technology: network architecture of smart homes, standardization, mesh networking between devices, etc... You don't write your thesis before you perform the research and critical experiments, thus those should be come priority and be done before. I recommend not contacting a tutor, rather get a thesis supervisor / coordinator, typically someone in the field of which the thesis topic resides, and begin narrowing to a specific topic which you can begin pulling the thread on. A thesis is not a simply school project, or senior project, it involves a lot of time and effort to specialize the topic and perform the critical experiments, then after you have to actually write it which is a large task in itself.

It is helpful to view other peoples thesis and look at structure of the document and formatting, since it is somewhat standardized between universities. Feel free to like I mine which I defended for 2015 for a reference.

http://digitalcommon...du/theses/1348/

This post has been edited by jjl: 17 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

I have to say... If you have to explain all that to him, he really shouldn't be this far along in actually GETTING the degree.

Either that, or this is just confirmation of what I've always felt about such degrees and how virtually meaningless they are once you walk off the campus and into the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:18 AM

It largely depends on the Student tlhIn`toq some are very talented individuals,

some are hopeless,

although most are hopeless.....in my experience.....

I always think if you have a natural talent to write software you can do it in just about any language,

If you don't have such ability you will struggle.

Degree's prove you can learn..

If you can learn one thing you can learn another...

They provide or should provide higher maths learning...

An understanding of data structures etc...

What they don't provide is high level skill in a language.

They provide basic level skill in a language..

You're expected to take that on when you leave the degree or study in your spare time to achieve that.

Talented Students before they enter the degree already have a fairly high level of skill before they enter the degree while poor students remain poor, and they enter the workplace as poor programmer's.

Talented Students often start their own business or enter the workplace as talented programmer's.

And it has always been thus...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:19 AM

I have to say... If you have to explain all that to him, he really shouldn't be this far along in actually GETTING the degree.

Being confused about a thesis topic does not imply any incompetence within a degree curriculum. Every grad student goes through the same phase of being confused on what their thesis topic should be. You have to choose something exciting enough to spend day and night researching and performing the critical experiments, but also contributes to the bubble of knowledge. From personal experience, I danced around a topic too broad for months until finding a single thread to pull on.

Either that, or this is just confirmation of what I've always felt about such degrees and how virtually meaningless they are once you walk off the campus and into the world.

That's a silly conclusion to make off of a premise that simply has to do with thesis confusion. To think that a person, like the OP, with a MS in computer science holds no advantage over someone with no degree in the real world is illogical. The advantage may not being knowledge against a rigorous self taught prodigy, but at the minimum it will always hold the advantage of increased job opportunities.

Degree's prove you can learn..

And at the minimum they prove some sort of work ethic. Engineering / scientific degrees are not handed out to the people who have not put in the time.

This post has been edited by jjl: 18 February 2017 - 01:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:32 AM

[quote name='jjl' date='18 February 2017 - 08:19 AM' timestamp='1487405951' post='2307873']

The advantage may not being knowledge against a rigorous self taught prodigy, but at the minimum it will always hold the advantage of increased job opportunities.

Exactly jjl and its a great advantage.

The degree I am currently doing most of the Students are very bad,

however the Students that are very good are very good indeed.

Very talented know way beyond what the degree requires.

But as I say poor students outweigh the good ones and the best Students often start their own businesses so in the workplace you are going to see a plethora of bad graduates.. but even the bad graduates have proven a certain level of skill in learning various topics and various ideas which are not altogether obvious.. the self taught programmer often lacks basic level of maths or some weakness regarding technical aspects of programming structures but again not always..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

However I am really struggling for my dissertation title and my Project tutor is not replying to my emails. Do you have any suggestions?

Go talk to the graduate director and choose a new advisor. Note that for your Master's degree, you shouldn't have a tutor for your thesis. Rather, you should have a thesis advisor who offers advice and guidance. The phrase "project tutor" implies that said individual will be holding your hand and spoon feeding you, which is certainly *not* the impression you want to present to others.

By the way- have you been reading research papers? What papers have you enjoyed? Do these papers have open problems for future directions? Have you considered what those might entail? These are all things you should be doing as a graduate student!

The purpose of a Master's program is to (a) provide students with advanced and specialized training in a given discipline, and (b) help students prepare for PhD programs by allowing them to strengthen their foundations and gain exposition to the research process. The point of the thesis is to engage students in the research process. These programs are not useless, and there are a lot of practical applications where students benefit from this advanced coursework (data science, AI, cryptography and security, the computational hard sciences, etc.).

Being confused about a thesis topic does not imply any incompetence within a degree curriculum. Every grad student goes through the same phase of being confused on what their thesis topic should be.

While this is true, it's really the thesis advisor's place and job to offer such guidance. Beyond the material, coursework helps students meet faculty and find potential thesis advisors. There is also nothing wrong with approaching a faculty member, or discussing with the graduate director about how to find an(other) advisor.

The fact that the OP refers to his advisor as a "project tutor" is also a little disconcerting to me. The implication of "project tutor" for a Master's thesis serves to diminish the accomplishment of writing a thesis; certainly not a perspective one should want to present to others!

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 18 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1