2 Replies - 627 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

sudo rsync -axv / /mnt on a raspberry pi been running for 9 hours...

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:48 AM

Hello,

I've recently set up a home web server from a raspberry pi I had which wasn't being used.

Anyway, once I had my web server set up I decided to move the root of the OS from the SD card to a 64GB Kingston memory stick and just have the boot on the SD card.

Anyway, I partitioned the stick, did what I needed to do and then executed this command: sudo rsync -axv / /mnt

It's been running now for about 9-10 hours, and still going. It hasn't crashed, I'm SSH'd in to my Pi and I can see it still working. However it's going mental with it's directories so I'm thinking I might have done something wrong.

This is currently a small portion of the terminal printed:

mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/mnt/lib/udev/rules.d/60-keyboard.rules

This surely can't be normal lol ? Should I terminate and restart ?

P.S the guide I was working through is: https://www.raspberr...hp?f=29&t=44177

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: sudo rsync -axv / /mnt on a raspberry pi been running for 9 hours...

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: sudo rsync -axv / /mnt on a raspberry pi been running for 9 hours...

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:56 AM

Yeah - power down and bring it back up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: sudo rsync -axv / /mnt on a raspberry pi been running for 9 hours...

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

I have sympathy. I like to use rsync as my cp of choice, too. However, it's not the fastest: that's not it's job.

I'd do a cp -avx first. Note, this doesn't preserve file times, or at least it sometimes misses one of the three, which is a bit of a drag, but normally not a deal breaker. After it's done, you can validate it with that rsync after. However, if it's running a do over it's probably the time stamp thing, so try the rsync with --size-only.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1