Which platform should I use for developing a web app?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

41 Replies - 4741 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2017 - 03:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which platform should I use for developing a web app?

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hi,

Me and a few friends are trying are way in the start-up arena and I've got a question.

I really don't know which platform I should use for developing that web app which includes a map usage and payment.
So security will be important, no as of now but in the future.

I thought about using PHP or .Net and I'm really buffled..
I like PHP, takes me little to no time to get what I need with little to no complexity.
On the other hand, .Net, takes me a little longer to do what I want, a bit heavier, finding developers should be an easy task, a bit verbose.

I'm developing in php myself, using XAMPP. I also developed in C# and .Net during my service and I still do from time to time.

So which one should I use? up untill now I used pure PHP, no frameworks, so if it's php with a framework, that means I need to learn it.
If it's a different direction from PHP and .Net, I'd love to get some ideas.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which platform should I use for developing a web app?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which platform should I use for developing a web app?

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

It's your choice.. you can get your server side language as well done with .NET, php, ruby, python, perl, etc. I would figure you would pick one the majority of your team knows and is comfortable with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Any web language will do, but understand, it is far to easy to do it wrong in php.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

It's your project, so you should do what seems best to you. However, I would not recommend using PHP. PHP was a great tool back when the alternative was perl cgis. It's been a long time since then, and now there are much better options to choose from. The most obvious are Ruby on Rails and Django, which are solid, well-supported web frameworks built on serious, well-designed languages. If you want something more lightweight, consider Sinatra or Flask, which are extremely stripped-down frameworks (in ruby and python, respectively) but still well-made examples of what they do. If you were doing something very data-heavy you might consider using Java, or if you like .NET you might use whatever they offer (not my area).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

If you study system design methodologies then you will learn that the first thing to do is to determine the requirements. It is best to determine the requirements of a system before deciding how to implement them. If there are no relevant requirements beyond general web application requirements then it is more of a personal choice whether to use PHP or some other language. For many things you need to decide whether you are doing things server-side (using PHP or C# perhaps) or client-side (using Java or Javascript perhaps).

Also, depending on the requirements, you might want to use a CMS.

This post has been edited by Sam Hobbs: 06 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

Ruby on Rails, or Groovy on Grails.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

View PostSam Hobbs, on 06 April 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

For many things you need to decide whether you are doing things server-side (using PHP or C# perhaps) or client-side (using Java or Javascript perhaps).

Javascript is client-side, Java is not.

Moving topic to Web Development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 07 April 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Javascript is client-side, Java is not.

I assume you are a young person or at least not involved in web development when Java was initially beginning to be used.

Java is certainly available in servers now but that was not the case in the beginning. See Java (programming language) in the Wikipedia. In the history the second paragraph says "Major web browsers soon incorporated the ability to run Java applets within web pages".

There really is not much that clearly states that Java was initially used in the browsers. The Servlet and JavaServer Pages sections of the Wikipedia say that they are server-side components and the implication is that Java is normally browser-side.

This post has been edited by Sam Hobbs: 07 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#9 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

Java Applets are a way for Java to execute within a browser but it is misleading to lump Java together with Javascript as client-side technology. Javascript is the only language that executes natively in browsers (discounting the obsolete VBScript and JScript).

The user launches the Java applet from a web page, and the applet is then executed within a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) in a process separate from the web browser itself.
Java applet technology has been marked for deprecation.

Java applet
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

I seldom see Java being mentioned as being used server-side, not even when people talk about alternatives to PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

What? Java is a very popular and sensible choice for developing server-side technologies. A company you probably have never heard of called Amazon builds almost all of their services using Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Apparently Java is still #1 in the TIOBE index, although it's use in the browser has been fading for a while. It's one of the things I make a point to avoid installing, I don't want the extra attack vector.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

Java is certainly available in servers now but that was not the case in the beginning

Erm, no, I don't think that's quite correct. Yes, Java's initial popularity was driven by the fact that it could ALSO be made to run from the browser in an applet context, but it could certainly run on servers from the beginning.

View PostSam Hobbs, on 07 April 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

I seldom see Java being mentioned as being used server-side, not even when people talk about alternatives to PHP.

That's probably because it's most popular with large enterprises moving massive amounts of data around. People building on that scale don't typically come here to ask about what they should use to build their site with. These are not people who are making a blogging site, they're typically enabling some facet of the web for other people. For example Amazon (hosting your web site), Akamai (delivering your web site's content) and DataXu (serving ads on your web site) all have heavy Java investments.

If you want something to put up content, frameworks like the ones I've mentioned previously are your best bet. They will get you up and running with your site in reasonably quick time, and they will allow you to scale up to reasonable levels and do arbitrarily interesting things with that content.

Apparently Java is still #1 in the TIOBE index, although it's use in the browser has been fading for a while. It's one of the things I make a point to avoid installing, I don't want the extra attack vector.

You have to keep in mind what it is that TIOBE is measuring. They lay it out pretty clearly here and if you read through it it becomes pretty clear that you could not have designed a better system to over-count the language that happened to be the dominant language of instruction during the Web's biggest period of growth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

LOL nobody uses applets anymore. It's not 1999. Holy hell. Java is used server-side now, not client side.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

Actually, I believe that there is some degree of applet development still going on, just not in the US. At least, this is what I've heard from developers in Europe and South America - I haven't got any first-hand knowledge of this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +