Which platform should I use for developing a web app?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

41 Replies - 4737 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2017 - 03:26 AM

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which platform should I use for developing a web app?

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:50 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 08 April 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Actually, I believe that there is some degree of applet development still going on, just not in the US. At least, this is what I've heard from developers in Europe and South America - I haven't got any first-hand knowledge of this.

If there is, it's strictly limited to internal corporate apps, never in the wild. It's the same crowd that does ActiveX development and insists their users still use old IE, because they are the only compatible browsers. It's definitely a dead technology, some people just haven't had the sense to move on from it yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

The use cases cited were actually about government services, not corporate, and certainly in the wild, by which I mean public-facing. I believe this conversation was about two years ago, but knowing how fast governments move, I would be surprised if this wasn't still going on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

View PostAtli, on 09 April 2017 - 01:50 AM, said:

It's the same crowd that does ActiveX development and insists their users still use old IE, because they are the only compatible browsers. It's definitely a dead technology, some people just haven't had the sense to move on from it yet.

Microsoft still uses IE in unmanaged (none-.Net) code. Edge does not support many other things, not just ActiveX. The non-support by Edge is claimed to be for security purposes and in many ways it protects the web site at the expense of the user's privacy and security from big business.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:39 AM

Today web application development companies are considering Ruby on Rails as the General purpose website Framework. Till now, a large number of applications are built through this framework.

This post has been edited by xclite: 12 April 2017 - 03:55 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed what appeared to be a spam link.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

Ruby on Rails has been declining since it peaked around 2011. It's used by less than 2% of the top million sites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

I feel like they're being replaced with a heavier Java or .Net backend, but for lite apps RoR seems legit. Also good for getting something up quick, what with the scaffolding and all. I'm still learning, but I'm really digging RoR.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

I like RoR, of course I am also digging into Java more and have grown irritated over loosely typed languages and all the possible values that might come out of a method too.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

You could also use other JVM languages like Scala or Kotlin.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:10 PM

According to me for web App, these languages are best.
1. HTML
2.Javascript
3.Php
4.Java
5.Python
6..net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 xclite  Icon User is online

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:48 AM

Since the first two languages, HTML and Javascript, would be used IN CONJUNCTION with any of the other languages on your list, I'm inclined to consider your analysis less useful than you think it is.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

View PostMichral, on 22 August 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

According to me for web App, these languages are best.
1. HTML
2.Javascript
3.Php
4.Java
5.Python
6..net

HTML is not a programming language, it is more of a word processing format. Neither is .Net a language; the most common language that uses .Net is C#.

View Postxclite, on 23 August 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

Since the first two languages, HTML and Javascript, would be used IN CONJUNCTION with any of the other languages on your list, I'm inclined to consider your analysis less useful than you think it is.

No, not true. Javascript does not require any other programming language. Server-side processing is required for server-side stuff like databases but Javascript can be used server-side, correct?.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Sam Hobbs said:

HTML is not a programming language, it is more of a word processing format.

It's not a programming language, that much is true, but it is a language nonetheless. Specifically, a Markup Language. (It's literally in the name: HyperText Markup Language.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostAtli, on 23 August 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

It's not a programming language, that much is true, but it is a language nonetheless. Specifically, a Markup Language. (It's literally in the name: HyperText Markup Language.)

Yes, it is named a markup language but the term "language" does not make it a programming language. HTML prior to version 5 is an application of SGML, a word processing language. SGML was inspired by IBM's GML, a set of macros for their "Script" word processing system. HTML is not a programming language. Originally GML was not called Generalized Markup Language and the term "markup" seems to have been used just to make something to fit the acronym "GML".

In the context of "Which platform should I use for developing a web app?" HTML is a requirement. There is no question whatsoever of whether it is relevant. In the context of programming languages, HTML has nothing that can be considered programming. HTML does support inclusion of scripts and does expose an API for use by the scripts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostSam Hobbs, on 23 August 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

In the context of "Which platform should I use for developing a web app?" HTML is a requirement. There is no question whatsoever of whether it is relevant.

I work full-time on a fairly involved web app, and it's not uncommon for me to go from one sprint to the next without touching HTML. I've actually given serious thought to developing a new templating system for django that would replace the horrible pseudo-html markup style with straight python functions because interleaved syntax is such a terrible idea. So html's relevance is maybe less unquestionable than you might think. The only reason that I ever touch HTML at all is that we insist on having a cross-functional team, so I need to have my hands on that stuff once in a while, but on another team and another project I might never see any of that, leaving all of it to "the front-end guy".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 23 August 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

I work full-time on a fairly involved web app, and it's not uncommon for me to go from one sprint to the next without touching HTML.

Are you saying that for (some of) the web pages/applications you work on the browser gets no HTML? If not and if there is always HTML for the browser then, as I said, HTML is always relevant. Saying it is not relevant just because you don't work with it does not make it irrelevant. Saying HTML is not relevant just because you don't work with it is like saying that databases are not relevant because a database person always handles that part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +