• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 1325 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2008 - 07:49 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Live Free of Die Hard

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

Ever notice in movies how anything on a computer is possible. I was watching Live Free or Die Hard the other day, a movie about a giant "fire sale" in which america reaches a would be armeggedon. a group of like 5 people manage to hack into everything in america in less than 1 day. Then to stop them, 1 more hacker known as "warlock" or some shit hacks into a bunch of other crap in about a minute. also, they generate all the passwords needed faster than i could type them in if i knew them. I think a total of 3 passwords were "bruteforced" if you could call it that fast than i can type in the password to my email. Anyone else got any movies they find completely stupid and it makes them mad when they watch it. I remember in like firewall i think it was some guy made a computer WITH WINDOWS out of an ipod and a scanner. Any good movies that make you laugh or you just need to vent about like i did?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Live Free of Die Hard

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Live Free of Die Hard

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

Yea, but the part where Bruce Willis threw the fire extinguisher at the guy and shot it was awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

obviously you know nothing about computers.

seriously though, this is a programmers website and i bet any of the top 25 users here could do everything in that movie . it just takes the kind of processing speed money can buy like the cray that was riding around in that truck.

its entirely possible with a cray to be able to brute force any 10-20 digit password in a matter of seconds.

read up man. seriously.

i'm tired of people dogging that movie for being unrealistic.
the only thing out there was him riding a plane but the hacker scenes are entirely plausible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

Im pretty sure that the top hacker, besides the organizer of the group was using an alienware laptop to do all of this, so no Cray for 18 wheel trucks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

Well you are certainly right about the speed at which they did certain things, but do remember that they had been preparing for the fire sale for some time. All the software they used were written by a set of soldier like front programmers which is what the guy that bruce willis was protecting. He was actually the key one since he was the one that cracked their encryption for them and allowed them to get access to the systems they needed for the fire sale and backing up the main computer.

Also saying that, they did have access to the central computer to data from the main "backup" of the USA's data and the lead bad guy was the creator of the system which does give him intimate knowledge of the system.

But you are right about some of the "on the fly" hacking they were doing like tapping into gas pipes in like 2 seconds.

The one thing about the movie that truly pissed me off was the whole jet plane hovering around in and out of the bridge and stuff. They claimed it was an F-15 but the F-15 doesn't have hover engine capabilities (that is why they are launched off of ships and need run ways... after all it is a fighter jet not a friggin Osprey). Then on top of that it was hovering around like some hover car and stuff. Like give me a break!

Other moments in movies that piss me off is when they show supposed hackers using code that is not even a language or even a realistic look at a computer screen (aka Hackers and its so called "worm") or when Stanley on Swordfish has a hydra that looks like a kindergarten lego block.

Just my two cents but you are definitely on the money with the topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

well i was being sarcastic.

but it is good to note that american nuclear energy facilities were recently cracked from outside networks during a DOD test run on what would happen if the us was attacked by a technologically developed nation. the result was that a major portion of the US could conceivably be without power from 6months to a year. that part is feasible, and actually as happened in simluations run by our own government.

the rest is because its a movie... watching a decryption of a password would be boring.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:08 PM

Other moments in movies that piss me off is when they show supposed hackers using code that is not even a language

I recall watching a scene from a movie in which the hacker is supposedly typing some code to hack into a remote system but the monitor display actually shows Linux booting up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:52 PM

ok RIGHT NOW TELL ME WHAT MOVIE THAT WAS. i have to see it, thats the funniest thing i have ever heard
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

lol I forgot. It's pretty old. I'll post as soon as I remember the name
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:23 AM

View PostKanichton, on 31 Dec, 2007 - 09:10 PM, said:

Yea, but the part where Bruce Willis threw the fire extinguisher at the guy and shot it was awesome.

WINNER.

win so hard.

still haven't seen the movie, got the die hard trilogy for xmas though and have been working thru it. the first one is so amazingly good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 1 Jan, 2008 - 03:23 AM, said:

View PostKanichton, on 31 Dec, 2007 - 09:10 PM, said:

WINNER.

win so hard.

still haven't seen the movie, got the die hard trilogy for xmas though and have been working thru it. the first one is so amazingly good.

The second one is a bit of a letdown, but once you roll around to With a Vengeance, you'll see that it's pretty much the best in the series.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

View Postborn2c0de, on 1 Jan, 2008 - 01:08 AM, said:

Other moments in movies that piss me off is when they show supposed hackers using code that is not even a language

I recall watching a scene from a movie in which the hacker is supposedly typing some code to hack into a remote system but the monitor display actually shows Linux booting up.

That reminded me of the scene in Jurassic park where the girl is booting up the computer that controls EVERYTHING on the island and she says, "It's a UNIX system!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

I rate it order from best to worst as...

1) Die Hard 1
2) Live free or Die Hard
3) Die Hard with a vengeance
4) Die Hard 2

But I love all the movies. I think it is a great series.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

If you think about it though, had the second one existed all on it's own without the other 3, it would still kick some serious ass. It only seems slightly less worthy, because of the other 3.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

Yeah you are right Will. It does act very much like its own movie and probably would have been pretty good on its own. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +