2 Replies - 266 Views - Last Post: 16 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Import Database to new server

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

Oh boy, I have been working on this way too long. Long story short, we have an old server hosting SolarWinds and MSSQL, and so we want to migrate to two new servers, each dedicated to one instance (one solarwinds and the other MSSQL).
the problem is that I want to import all the databases from the old server to the new one. I have tried to do this several different ways, but it fails every time. Then I saved all the databases locally and transferred them to the same folder on the new server as the old one had (example: mssql/DATA ) but when I opened up management studio and connected to the server db, it would not read the old databases that I had transferred over. So that tells me there is a configuration somewhere that I need to modify, correct?
Importing a backup or restoring a back up will not work, because there is not an existing instance of the old database.
Yes, I can connect to both databases on both servers using management studio.
Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Import Database to new server

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Import Database to new server

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

Long time no see - welcome back!

Are the MSSQL versions the same from the files and the new servers?

What extensions are the files?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Import Database to new server

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

Thank you! I always poke around in the networking section from time to time to help others out.
Wow, I figured it out, but I didn't think it would work and it did. I just right clicked on databases, restore, and navigated to the backup folder, selected the backup file, and voila, there it is.
(Got help in MSDN forum)
Thanks for responding so fast!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1