11 Replies - 883 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Building a Messaging App Basic Questions

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

So for school we have to come up with a project and have the course of a year to develop this project. I have chosen to build a simple messaging app (think Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp) but I'm not sure where to start. I have a reasonable understanding of programming and the theory behind what I need to do but I have never built something like this at this scale. So I have a few questions that I would extremely grateful to have answered!

What language should I be looking at? - I've read a few articles and python seems to be the common theme, I'm not sure however if I need PHP to run the server-side and of the messaging and maybe for synchronisation.

What software would I use to develop in? - At the moment I've done most of my VB.net work in Visual Studio, I am comfortable with this but it is only available on Windows and I would like to work on my Apple laptop (I'm not interested in Parallels). On my Mac I've done PHP work in Sublime and Brackets. I love Brackets...

Are there any good tutorials to follow? - Right now I'm watching this tutorial to improve my overall understanding and concept of what I am undertaking. For the tutorials I'm looking for something that is built from scratch like I am intending to do instead of using an already built engine or using someone else's APIs and what not.

I'm one person, developing this for school. I want to try avoid spending money as much as possible, I do have some necessary applications but I'm not sure what I might need. I have a very basic understanding of the specifics I need to know to work on this task so I would be so grateful for any guidance I can get. I'm committed to this and know it'll be hard and I'm willing to put in the hours and the grind to learn what I need to learn. Thank you to anyone who helps me!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Building a Messaging App Basic Questions

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Building a Messaging App Basic Questions

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

I'm interested in building a messenger application for mobile. I have lots of questions but right now the only answer I want is, what software would you guys recommend and why? Thank you in advance for anyone who answers, I'm very grateful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:35 AM

For the front end you probably want this to run on iOS, Android and UWP (for those 8 Windows phones out there)... And you already know Visual Studio. So doing it as a Xamarin app for all the clients makes sense. One code base for all three platforms. Using XAML/C#/MVVM. Think of it as next-generation WPF.

You'll need to move from VB.net to C#, but at least you understand the OOP concepts.

At the moment I've done most of my VB.net work in Visual Studio, I am comfortable with this but it is only available on Windows and I would like to work on my Apple laptop (I'm not interested in Parallels).

Visual Studio for Mac is available. Its a first step evolution of Xamarin Studio for Mac. Its not exactly immature, but I'd highly recommend using the Windows Visual Studio as it is far more powerful.

My Xamarin tutorial site is only a couple months old so I'm still building up lessons, but you can at least get a bit of a walk through for a first app and get a 30,000 ft overview of what I'm talking about.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:51 AM

Thank you, this clears some of my issues up!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

one person to develop a messing app, the best method is modify from other open source app.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

That's BS. A crude messenger could be created in a day, by 1 person.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 30 March 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

That's BS. A crude messenger could be created in a day, by 1 person.

If you're talking crude... Sure... Hell we have a tutorial on the site for building a chat app. And if that person is at least half a developer and not a student. We all know students aren't taught jack-all about real world coding. I doubt as a student he's been shown how to make "Hello World" as a WPF app... maybe not even in 1998 WinForms. They don't teach that stuff. They teach C# 101 in a console and we all know it.

> and have the course of a year to develop this project

But I assumed the OP means a grown-up, professional grade app - a real app - on a retail level that one could put on an app store like Apple or Google Play. I assume that his is college level grade depends on it, he wants more than a 1 day crude demo.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 30 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

I was referring to post #6. A crude app in a day, with almost a year, even learning, you could put out something worthwhile.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 30 March 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

I was referring to post #6. A crude app in a day, with almost a year, even learning, you could put out something worthwhile.

Yours *is* post number 6.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

Odd, says that the one above that one is #6, and I can't post an image, still.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image

There we go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

Let me guess... There are hidden posts in the thread, and since you have moderator privileges you see them so they add to the count... But the rest of us don't.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1