• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1018 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Charging for Redirection

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:07 AM

I have a client who has an existing site that was built and hosted by a different company.

She contacted me and had the files and data dump for said site sent to me so that I could set up hosting on our servers instead. The other company had no issues with this and sent the files over as requested.

Earlier this week, I asked what she wanted to do with the URL. Since the domain has been paid for through 2019, would we be transferring it to my company's account or would the existing company be forwarding it to the new site location?

The client sent an email to the existing hosting company and they told her it would be a "nominal fee" to forward the domain. After she agreed to this, they responded claiming it would be several HOURS worth of work and would cost her $230/year.

I've forwarded my share of domains in my time and I can show them a handful of ways to accomplish the task - none of which will take more than a couple of minutes.

My question for you lovely folks, before I go back to the client and tell her she's being ripped off by people she believes to be her friends, is am I missing something here? Is there some sort of weird forwarding process that a large, professional company would use of which I am unaware? Is there a legitimate reason it would cost $230/year to forward a domain and I'm just not savvy enough to know about it?

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 24 March 2017 - 05:16 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Charging for Redirection

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Charging for Redirection

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

Outside of 'recouping loss' I can't imagine there would be anything more than what a normal individual would do in terms of updating the domain forward. $230 sounds like 'recouping loss' gouging and fairly shady.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

That's what I thought, too, but having never actually run a web host myself, I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

Why mess with the redirection? If I understand the 'want' correctly, just update the nameservers to point to the new hosted server.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Because the site will be housed in a subdirectory of the hosting server...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

I don't see how that matters. How is the forwarding expected to work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

I don't know how they're doing it, but it will take HOURS to set it up.

As far as what subdirectories have to do with it, if the site is being hosted at www.bigunisite.com/page, pointing the nameservers to the IP will send visitors to www.pagesite.com to www.bigunisite.com, not the subdirectory they need to be in. Right? That's what my hosting companies have told me for years when I've wanted to use a third party domain host to point to a hosted subdirectory. Like I said, I have never been the actual hosting provider, I need some guidance here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

Can you not setup a virtual host entry with your webserver to answer for domain/url requests? Then you can update the nameservers to point to your hosting & serve the pages as intended. The fact they are in a subdirectory becomes irrelevant.

That price is highway robbery. For half that you could setup an entire AWS instance, or Digital Ocean VPS for a year. File storage depending, of course.

If you don't care about the url changing in the forward, just setup an htaccess/url rewrite & host a single file. Not worth $200+ worth of work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

The actual argument I'm trying to make is that it would be infinitely cheaper to just transfer the domain name to our account where we have full control over it versus letting the other company keep it simply because it's paid for through 2019. Unless, of course, they're going to demand a huge price to approve the transfer. It's a bit of a mess really as the domain is registered in the name of the client, but the "technical contact" at the other company is the one with the password to access the account. Regardless, I have a few more questions for the client to see if there's any way she can gain access to the account, seeing as it's technically hers...then we can start the transfer process without the assistance of the other company. I'd rather reimburse them for the two years of domain registration they've already paid for than have them gouge her with a ridiculous redirection fee.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

From my experience, when you transfer a domain name, the years of registration come with it. For example, domain is registered through 2019, transfer costs $9.99 (for a dot com), domain is now registered for 3 years with new domain registrar.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

Interestingly, the client decided to ditch the old domain name altogether because it wasn't worth the headache the old host was giving her. As soon as she told them she was pulling it completely, they offered to do the redirect free of charge. Pleebs.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

Lol! I had a client that i moved their site for them, I was sooooooo happy to get rid of them!

I would get calls from the new hosting company on various things, and how they were going to redo it after they moved it to their servers. I was just going, yep, heard that same story before.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

This client web-developer whom I host a number of sites for, had a client that moved their site, surprise to both me & him. Six months in, that hosting company lost their email, & was having performance issues. After I told them to pound sand, they started asking the web developer for help. lol, within the calendar year they reached out to him requesting how to move back.

You get what you pay for, & when your target audience is "I can do it cheaper", that's the shit sandwich that you end up with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

The joy of that client, they would call me when ANYTHING didn't work at all hours. One of their sites was 19 Gb, and I was supposed to redesign it from the ground up. Several years later, and their site is still the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

After almost 10 years I'm about to loose one of those clients myself. Well, not the "issues", but she hosts one site with me, coded in php 4 from like 2005. Every year she asks about upgrades, new projects, friends sites, & never brings me anything. Most years she also is late with her payment as her PayPal is shut off, or out of funds. Bye Felicia.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +