9 Replies - 681 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

To resign or not in the Bay Area?

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

I am in the bay area working with a pretty reputable startup and have over 15 years of experience being a java developer. My last review with my manager didn't go very well. I am pretty sure that I should be able to clear 90% of the job interviews in the bay area that I won't have any problems finding a new job. However I don't want to search for a new job while continuing working in my current position and also moving to a new position in the same company is out of the question. I had a few questions:
1. Given the current job market in Bay Area how much of an issue would it be I have resigned from my current position. So for eg. if I can clear 90% of the job interviews based on technical skills, how much will this percentage roughly fall down to.
2. What will be financial costs during the period I am job hunting. Obviously I won't get paid but how much will health insurance etc. roughly cost given I am a single guy.
3. If any of you have been in the same situation, I would like to hear about your interview and other experiences, especially how to answer the question as to why you left. I will prefer to tell them that I left because of very poor work/life balance which is is a fact in my current job.

I understand the answers will vary based on the area and the job market and that's why I will like to know from developers in the Bay Area with an understanding of the current job market.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: To resign or not in the Bay Area?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: To resign or not in the Bay Area?

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

However I don't want to search for a new job while continuing working in my current position

Why? That seems reckless and silly.

2. What will be financial costs during the period I am job hunting.

You have fifteen years of collecting a paycheck in the industry, and in that area, and are you are not certain about how you maintain your finances? Seems odd.

Cross posted here.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:41 AM

Because job hunting and working at the same time is extremely tiring. I have done this before and that time period was extremely torturous. I will rather accept some more risk and financial loss than mental fatigue and unhappiness.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

I think that for some, there is a lot of mental and emotional fatigue involved in hiding from the employer and co-workers that they are looking for another job.

As an aside, have you considered a lateral move within the same company?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:00 AM

View Postamarjain77, on 28 March 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

2. What will be financial costs during the period I am job hunting. Obviously I won't get paid but how much will health insurance etc. roughly cost given I am a single guy.

COBRA is expensive. Even if you had elected only for your company's catastrophic health insurance option, the price will shock you. Ask your friends who have left your company about the COBRA letters they got.

If you got discounts for your phone, Internet, gym membership, etc. as an employee, expect those discounts to go away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

Moving to Corner Cubicle...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:51 AM

View Postamarjain77, on 29 March 2017 - 04:41 AM, said:

Because job hunting and working at the same time is extremely tiring.

I've never had a problem with it. My preference would be juggling a 9-5 while doing interviews, over eating PB&J because I've been out of work for 3 months, &/or blowing all of my emergency savings because I couldn't be bothered to do some interviews while still fulfilling projects.

But that's just me. Best of luck with your decision.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

View Postamarjain77, on 29 March 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

[...]Because job hunting and working at the same time is extremely tiring. I have done this before and that time period was extremely torturous. I will rather accept some more risk and financial loss than mental fatigue and unhappiness.

That makes no sense to me. What is torturous is dealing with interviews and having the sword above your neck of zero income. Watching the coffers drain knowing you may have nothing coming in. The specter of _NOT_ finding a job when you cross the bank account threshold and the fear of eviction is quite real. So you have to take some vacation time here or there for interviews, and just not open your yap to coworkers that you are leaving. Lah-dee-dah. I'll take not upsetting the financial house of cards over questioning if I am able to pay rent/buy groceries/reach my normal nightly level of blinding drunkenness to get to sleep.

So sure.. I'll apply for jobs with an income and take the normal stress levels of interviews in stride, but then again people call me Johnny Dewey, the King of Pragmatism. Second cousin to Abe Froeman, the Sausage King of Chicago.

:^: :D
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

What do you classify as 'didn't go well?'

That they didn't think you were worth what you do?

Every review I have had, I have come in with a bullet list of accomplishments since the previous review. When I say I want XYZ, I can point specifically to what I have brought to the table and my track record of success. On that same token, when I am ready to interview, I have a list of items that I have accomplished at my employer and what I could bring to the new company.

If you think it is a good idea to go to unemployed status over job hunting employed, have a healthy savings account.

1. I have always been told, "It is easier to find a job when you still have one."
2. Let's assume you have a harder time finding a job than you thought you would. Then what? If you are still working, the most you are out is some PTO time.

How do you not know what your monthly bills are? I make damn good money, but I still know what goes out every month. I know that if I were to leave my position tomorrow, what I would need a month to cover my bills, and what I would need to actually live on. Unless you are wealthy to the point it doesn't matter, you should start keeping track of those things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

I agree that it doesn't make sense quitting your job before having a new one.

I don't know how this is handled in the states, but back here in Germany this is common sense. If you're not satisfied with your working place or you see no future in your company you write job applications and do the necessary interviews before or after the regular job. If this is not possible, you take a day off (the mean way would be, to call in sick) and do the job.

To me, it is careless first to quit and then look for a new job while living and depending on your savings. This can end horrible very quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1