2 Replies - 923 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

#1 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Git keeping branch in sync

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:23 AM

We are using the Team Explorer window with git. (I think it is called Team Explorer, I'm mobile currently.)

I've cloned the remote repo. Then I've created a branch from my clone. When I've worked on my branch I switch back to my local dev and sync it so that it us up to date with the remote.

How do I get my branch to also be up to date with all changes? Would I then push my branch to the remote so that it becomes a branch that can be pulled in to the central repo?

I realise that this should be configured differently. I think my branch will be automatically incorporated. But, for the moment, it is just myself and a colleague collaborating.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Git keeping branch in sync

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Git keeping branch in sync

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:40 AM

If you are using Team Explorer, there is a home button at the top of that window and you should see options such as Changes, Branches, Unsynced commites, and settings. If you created a branch but it is not on the remote repository yet, you can go to branches and right click on the branch you are working on and hit Publish.

When you publish though, all the commits that you have made will also be pushed up to the remote repository and anyone on your team can checkout your branch with those changes. I hope this helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Git keeping branch in sync

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Thank you. I'll have a look at this again on Monday. I don't know why I find Git so puzzling, it shouldn't be that hard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1