7 Replies - 662 Views - Last Post: 12 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Poll: Syria Poll: Do You Support Further Escalation in the Region? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support further escalation in Syria by US?

1. Yes (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. No (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

3. Unsure (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Syria Poll: Do You Support Further Escalation in the Region?

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

I just want to say as a 28 year old male registered for the draft I'm absolutely disgusted with the unilateral decision of the executive branch yesterday. They should have gotten congressional approval imo.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Syria Poll: Do You Support Further Escalation in the Region?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Syria Poll: Do You Support Further Escalation in the Region?

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

I think that we should have struck airfields launching chemical and barrel bomb attacks against civilians when they started instead of waiting for Russia to start operating in the region. For that matter, I think any number of other countries should have eliminated Assad's ability to launch chemical and barrel bomb attacks against civilians, I don't know why it always has to be the US to act when war crimes get committed. When the line that Obama drew was crossed he should have acted then. The lack of a major response from either Syria or Russia indicates that they aren't going to try to defend attacking civilians with chemical weapons or barrel bombs, and that capability should have been eliminated the first time it was used. But, again, I think it's shameful that the war in Syria has been going on for so many years and that Assad has been using these tactics to kill hundreds of thousands of civilians and no other country has lifted a hand to stop him. He's a war criminal actively committing war crimes, if that's not a reason for other countries to act then I don't know what is. The entire security council should have acted, but Russia wants their Mediterranean port and weapon customer.

They should have gotten congressional approval imo.

Ah, the good old days. It shouldn't be a surprise though. Trump said that you don't tell your plans to your enemy so that they can prepare for your attack, going to Congress would have required that. If anyone is surprised by anything that Trump does, especially the people who voted for him (like that woman who was so surprised that they deported her husband), then people haven't been paying attention. Trump isn't like a normal politician, he's been telling everyone exactly who he is for a long time. There's no reason to be surprised by anything he does. The only way he could surprise me is if he pushes for legislation that favors the public at the expense of lobby groups or major corporations, that would actually be a surprise. Keep in mind that he promised to defeat ISIS within his first 100 days, so any action in the middle east should not come as a major surprise.

I just want to say as a 28 year old male registered for the draft

Also, good news: you're only eligible to be drafted if you're 18 to 25.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

Also, good news: you're only eligible to be drafted if you're 18 to 25.

Ah, the good old days.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

Trump said that you don't tell your plans to your enemy so that they can prepare for your attack

Also, Trump told his plans to Putin several hours before the attack, who then told Assad. And as far as I can tell, not a single missile hit the runway. Several aircraft shelters were damaged or destroyed, and a few support buildings. I'm not exactly sure what the intended message was here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:30 AM

I thought at least a general and several officers were killed. That's something at least.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:13 AM

Is there an alternative to Assad? Well, I mean a sane movement that can protect the minorities (Christians, Kurds etc)? Who is the 'moderate' opposition being talked about?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Since nobody today is protecting minorities, I don't see that as a massive issue. Shooting Assad in the head and just see what happens later is a viable option - things couldn't get much worse that they are now, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Well.. someone played a similar game with Saddam. sooo.. it could.

Drop out Assad, let the refugees head back home, and throw some blue helmet UN folk in and around to keep things okay for a bit.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1