2 Replies - 729 Views - Last Post: 17 April 2017 - 09:36 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Are these programming books obsolete?

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

Hey everyone. A few simple questions for you guys.

I seen these books for a very great price and wanted to know if they could still be "used" today?

They both were published in 2004 and I assume that one of the books are for an older versions of C#.

If it's out of date then do you recommend a different book with updated material? Or should I be fine starting out with these books?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Are these programming books obsolete?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are these programming books obsolete?

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

Most likely, yeah. They may be good for references and concepts, but certainly the engines and libraries have moved on.

I would suggest finding something newer and on the unity, unreal or cry engines.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are these programming books obsolete?

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

While there's probably a lot of interesting stuff in the older books, think of it in terms of your time, and how much your time is worth to you. Here's a useful procedure: Find some more modern texts which seem to cover similar material. Calculate the price difference. Think about how many hours you're willing to give away for that price difference. Does it seem to you that the tradeoff makes sense? If so, buy the older and cheaper books.

For example, one of my colleagues wrote one of the first books on Django, which came out in 2008 and covers Django 1.0. Another of my colleagues wrote a more recent book, covering Django 1.8. If you're willing to buy used, the first book can be had on Amazon for about $2.00, the second for $26. So, if I'm looking to learn Django from scratch, I have to decide whether $24 is more valuable to me than the time I'd spend getting from Django 1.0 to 1.8. In this case, I'd have to make some pretty strange assumptions to make the older book a worthwhile investment - specifically, I'd have to assume that so little has changed in 9 years that I'd be able to pay someone (specifically, me) $24 to learn it and they'd be happy with that deal.

Now, if I go to Amazon and search a little, I see recent books on game programming in C$ - published in the last year or so - in the $50 range, +/- $10. So if I assume that your "very great price" approaches zero, I would have to assume that so little has changed in this subject in the last 13 years that I could pay you $50 for the time you'd spend learning all of that.

This seems unlikely to me, but it's your value curve. You set it up however you like.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1