Gnome Vs KDE Vs xxxx ... What to choose?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1411 Views - Last Post: 22 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Gnome Vs KDE Vs xxxx ... What to choose?

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:09 AM

So, I fell in an extreme dilemma ...
That is, what Desktop Environment to choose?

I'm sure many folks are still on this dilemma besides myself.

Well, writing this topic on the one screen while on the others I'm reading the benefits and cons of having either of them. Trying to get on top of something and finally make my final decision without having to change after 1-2 months to a new Desktop Environment and then the loop again.

So, what's the best decision?
Currently, my impressions and experiences of some desktop environments are these:
+======================================+==================================+==================+
|               Gnome                  |               KDE                |      Unity       |
+======================================+==================================+==================+
| + Non-Buggy till                     | + Modifiable UX                  | + Stable         |
+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------+------------------+
| + Stable                             | + Very Beautiful                 | + Very few bugs  |
+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------+------------------+
| - It's clearness sacrifices mobility,| - My experience has been         | - Beauty,        |
|lack of extensions and mods etc.      | full of Bugs=Unstable            | Mobility,        |
|                                      |                                  | Extensions       |

So let me explain myself.

Unity, has been a great experience for me I can tell. But I'm bored of them, they're not beautiful nor modifiable. Don't want to go back to them

Gnome were installed recently. I can tell they are beautiful but not eye candy beautiful. My kind of style is a MacOS one like. Although I've still not encountered any experience-breaking bugs.
But whatever comes with Gnome, it's not mobility. You can't modify them to have your own nice experience.

Which leads us to ...

KDE.

OH, <just installed KDE> They're FANTASTIC... OH MY GOD.
WHAT? There is even this KDE-CONNECT with your Android phone software?!
WOW WTF! YOU CAN EVEN CONTROL YOUR MOUSE AND CHANGE SONGS FROM MY TABLET!
Damn Fantastic ...
Well, let's change a widget or two ...
#CRSHHSSSCHRSCHHH
Oh ... fuck. I just ... broke my desktop? Let's fix it.
<100 Restarts, 10k google searches and 50 nano commands later>
WHY THIS SAME CRASH KEEPS POPPING UP!?

That was my experience with KDE.

This post has been edited by general656: 21 April 2017 - 03:28 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Gnome Vs KDE Vs xxxx ... What to choose?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Gnome Vs KDE Vs xxxx ... What to choose?

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for your break down. My theory - install 'em on a VM, try them out, and pick one. Worst option - you try out mint, crunch bang, arch, etc until you find one that works well with your hardware and has that decent level of free support. Keep your info backed up in case you are monkeying around with a setting and somehow crash your OS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

@modi123_1: Also, CrunchBang is kaput. Ultimately, you can just use your distro of choice with Openbox and go from there.

In a rough sense, you never fully escape gnome and kde, because GTK+ and Qt are inevitable. Also, with enough messing about you can get them to look pretty close to each other. It's really about what comes in the box ready to go.

I agree, I've had stability issues with KDE. I think "Very Beautiful" might be overstating things. However, in the end, it's all just about person preference.

Pick a massive distro with lots of desktop environments available in the package manager. Install them all. Take the tour.

Ubuntu is a good playground. Oddly, my current Fedora install had many more desktops than I expected and I did try many of them.

For a desktop, in the end, I just want find and launch programs easily and have the rest of it stay the hell out of the way. I've tried all the flashy stuff and see nothing wrong with a boring old bar on the bottom paradigm.

My current is desktop is Xfce. It's reasonably lightweight and I can customize it to my liking and get on with things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

I was always a fan of BlackBox/FluxBox. That was before Gnome was default everything, which was then replaced by Unity. KDE has always been a memory/resource suck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

I have the tendency to be harsh on my window managers.

Gnome 3:
My favorite, it has a nice and modern feel while not getting in the way, but can be a bit of a resource hog (and it requires a graphics card capable of 3D animations for the "activities" display... which means my poor work machine has some real difficulty with it (though I did recently get an upgrade to a GTX740...). It has extensions, but sadly most of the extensions aren't programmed very well and lead to odd behavior if left running long enough. The upside here is that it is also fairly good about being standards complaint with other tools and APIs, so you can easily change themes, gtk themes, and so on... and they actually take!

i3wm:
Minimalist, tiling, and usable. I can't say too much that I love about this guy, but it works wonderfully on my workstation with low graphics overhead. Configuring it to be the way I want it a _lot_ of work though... and even after using it for months I don't have everything working the way I want it to. It isn't bad, it is just a lot of work.

KDE:
I haven't used KDE in years, but the last time I played with it I was struck by it as a combination of Mac and Windows... which isn't really a good thing in my opinion. It cared too much about looks and too little about functionality for what I wanted. I am not saying it is bad, just not for me.

Unity:
Horrible. Because Canonical decided that Ubuntu would use it as the default window manager, I moved away from Ubuntu. Plain and simple. It is far to strict, doesn't allow for customization and doesn't work the way I want it to.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Never heard of i3wm. I'm intrigued. May give that a spin tonight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostBetaWar, on 21 April 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

KDE:
I haven't used KDE in years, but the last time I played with it I was struck by it as a combination of Mac and Windows... which isn't really a good thing in my opinion. It cared too much about looks and too little about functionality for what I wanted. I am not saying it is bad, just not for me.

While I agree at the other ones, I'm gonna tell you that it changed very much since you used it. Now it has nothing to do with Windows. Although, now it's just a very-unstable linux version of Macintosh.

I just wanted a Linux Desktop Environment that looks almost exactly like Macintosh with some functionality and extensions in it. Macintosh for me is such a clear eye-candy desktop environment and so smooth that I love it.

On Gnome though, I can't make it like that.

On KDE, I can ... but extensions and the whole system are highly unstable.

On Unity, low functionality and mobility to do such thing. But they work nice ... boring but nice ...

I won't disagree nor agree that GNOME are beautiful. It's a matter of perspective and perception though .. but on my perspective they're too Glossy and WannaBeBeautiful.

I'm a simplistic type of person. And everyone is deep in them and you can see that the Marketing World understood that. All things change and look far more simplistic.

Microsoft changed to Rectangles instead of using circle curves on every object and they stopped using glossy effects now.

Apple, well ... they have such a good marketing team that they understood that many years ago from now ...
Fun Fact:
Spoiler

TV Commercials became more simplistic because that's how you deliver a message better.

Google changed its style Everywhere as well. Look at Youtube, Google+, Docs etc.

I'm a "Psycho" when it comes to making my environment the way I like and I think a little bit or more every linux user is.
And that's why I'm on an extreme dilemma right now.

View PostBetaWar, on 21 April 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

i3wm:

I've heard of them. Well, you know ... the same way a non Star-Wars fan knows R2D2 ...
They look nice and simple <GoogleImages Involved> ... I may try them when I'll go back to my homyy anytime soon.
My first opinion before trying them, is that I don't think they're something to stick with though.

This post has been edited by general656: 21 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

This is just me being inquisitive, but 'extreme dilemma'? What level of extreme are we talking about? :)

I'm a "Psycho" when it comes to making my environment the way I like [...] And that's why I'm on an extreme dilemma right now.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 April 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

This is just me being inquisitive, but 'extreme dilemma'? What level of extreme are we talking about? :)/>

Im currently thinking of moving to Emacs as my primary desktop environment. Text Editor would be a VIM Simulation though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

Soooo.. a level 7, "Independence Day 2" level of dilemma? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

Wait ... there are levels for that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

You said extreme dilemma.. I am just trying to ascertain how extreme is extreme. On a one to ten scale. I figure Independence Day 2 alien invasion ranked a 7.. Haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

@general656 if you like the flat and round aspect that Mac uses, you may want to take a look at the arc gtk theme. I just tripped across it a few days ago and it looks really interesting. I do wish that the close/max/min buttons were square-ish (rounded squares) instead of circles, but it isn't a bad looking theme (IMO). It also incorporates some nice transparent regions. They also have an icon theme you can install which continues with the color palette and style. I am thinking it would be pretty cool to make a gnome theme that matches the palette to go along with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 ndc85430  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:09 AM

I guess I'm not very fussy. I've been using KDE on Slackware for years now and can't complain. I haven't noticed any stability issues, but I don't use any extensions or anything, just vanilla KDE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:22 AM

Quick update. I'm currently playing with i3. It scratches the OpenBox / CrunchBang itch. Perhaps with a little ratpoison. I rather like it so far.

Particularly if you were thinking of going the emacs to rule them all route, it's probably worth checking out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +