9 Replies - 504 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

Poll: Top Old Games (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What are the Top Old Games in your perspective?

1. Diablo 2 (5 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

2. Rome Total War (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

3. Doom (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

4. Half LIfe / 2 (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

5. Deus Ex (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. System Shock 2 (1 votes [3.23%])

7. Dwarf Fortress (1 votes [3.23%])

8. Hitman (Codename 47 and Silent Assasin) (1 votes [3.23%])

9. Dude Nukem 3D (3 votes [9.68%])

10. Starcraft (3 votes [9.68%])

11. Simcity 2000 (3 votes [9.68%])

12. Quake (1 votes [3.23%])

13. Age Of Empires 2 (3 votes [9.68%])

14. Command And Conquer (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

15. XCOM Oldies (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Top Old Games ?

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:47 AM

I've made my list with some great old games.

They're 15 Games in Total

Multiple Choice is allowed because I know it's a difficult choice to choose only one over all the other beauties. All of these games have a nice place in many Gamers' hearts and many of us had nice with them.

Personally, I've never played Dwarf Fortress since recently and I thought it was a damn awesome and nostalgic game!
Rome Total War is considered by me one of the top 5 games till now, because it has such nice details in the game that the game itself doesn't bring up arrogantly. It just silently lets you explore it and let you admire it. The main core of the game is so nice built together with all those decorations. It's still the best total war ever built together with Medieval 2. It's so sad they never brought up such nice features in the next games :(Posted Image

Hitman, another belovable game and character [47 :gunsmilie:. One of the favourites. What can I tell? Many ways to kill someone ... strategic moves ... god I love it.

Posted Image

Quake ... Doom ... ah god they're miracles of their ages. I don't know how John Carmack achieved what he achieved with those belovable Graphic Engines. He was far ahead of his time.

Posted Image

XCOM ... such a nice strategic turn based game. Still, it bugs me when I'm literally 1 cm away from the alien and it misses.

Posted Image

Starcraft, never played it ... Real Time Strategy is not my type of style (except of Rome Total War). But it's fascinating how many fans this games had and has! Because of it's Game Balance? Because of it's Gameplay? Of it's Graphics and Scenery? All of these combined? I still don't know ... I mean Warcraft 2 came from the same company and it has the same mechanics to me. Maybe I'm mistaken ... :helpsmilie:

Posted Image

Half Life. I'm not gonna lie, I was too young to play the Campaign when it was out. I barely understood english at the time. I've still never played it and people will rush on me for that. IT'S OKAY, I'LL PLAY IT DAMN BASTARDS. Sometime ... no I really will ... :whistling: I played it's multiplayer for dozens of hours though in LAN PARTIES !
But guys, let's not forget the fact that these games came from John Carmack's Game Engine ... oh this genious.

Posted Image

Not gonna post about them all ... just a nice prologue to get it started.

This post has been edited by general656: 24 April 2017 - 12:58 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Top Old Games ?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Top Old Games ?

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

Your missing some good ones on there like Settlers 3 and Populous The beginning. Also I still play a handful of these games...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:38 AM

View Postmaceysoftware, on 24 April 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

Your missing some good ones on there like Settlers 3 and Populous The beginning. Also I still play a handful of these games...

Me too ... they never get old! That's against my title though :whistling:/> I tried to make the list as small as possible ... I really wanted to add more games but I thought it would look unattractive because of the big number of Games.

Rome Total is a Masterpiece to still play.
Diablo 2 is played Online by over 50.000 players on each Server.
Starcraft is still played I want to believe.
Here and there I play the Hitman Franchise, either it is SIlent Assasin or Absolution.

My thought is that ... newer Generations won't apperiecate them because they learned to play with nice graphics. I don't blame them, I would be the same too if I were in their place. But it's a pitty. They're all great -not games- but masterpieces.

From my perspective, these games won't be ever replaced. Because Publishers and Developers focus on making an eye candy with a good UX instead of doing a Great Game instead.
Binding of Issac could be a great example of a good game though because they didn't focus on graphics. They're plain and simple.
And oh, damn ... look at damn Factorio. Graphics are so retro and the game is so unbelievable good and moddable. These games are teaching what they should teach. That a great game does not have to have great graphics, but great or just a simple non-notable artstyle instead.
Minecraft on the other side if you tell me about Graphics and newer Generation, is another thing. It's a fashion and its attractive gameplay full of creative activities is what made its fanbase.

Altough, I may be wrong. Maybe they appreciate games with oldish retro graphics. It's not like I gained that from a research.

This post has been edited by general656: 24 April 2017 - 02:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:19 AM

I do quite agree however, it is nice that Microsoft have started to add new content for Age of Empires 2, with its latest service pack only coming out 6 days ago.

However you do have to re-buy and use the Age of Empire HD version compared to the old copy I have.

https://www.ageofemp...om/games/aoeii/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

Pffst. No Command Keen, Number Munchers, Oregon Trail, Leisure Suit Larry, Thexder, Lode Runner, Sid Meier's Pirates, or Warcraft?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

So, Doom is basically required, as it starts then entire FPS genre. Though for pure FPS joy, I think Duke Nukem 3D tops the list.

System Shock 2 is a personal favorite. I recently acquired a free copy in a humble bundle, but need to set aside time to play it.

I don't like a short click list. I'd rather folks throw on stuff that should have been on the list, so I can check them out. ;)

I'll add Max Payne. This was one of the earliest games where you got the 3D camera thing and the slow motion power. Noir ( as advertised ), seedy, and enjoyable mass murder.

A rather unique game that I find myself playing again every few years: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. This is a horror, action, role-playing, story driven, emo, masterpiece. It's a computer implementation of the White Wolf tabletop RPG of similar name. Eminently replayble, with different clans and in game choices driving you forward. Chock full of side stories. Some major bits are not for the faint of heart. Some elements only available to certain clans, so you'll play again just to see new stuff.

Fable? Also driven by choices and quite fun to replay.

Oh, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. All of them. If you don't feel like crap for playing the dark side, you're probably a horrible person. The Jedi Knight series is also fun, though the first one is rather primitive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

Oh man. This is a difficult decision, but in the end I did wind up voting for a single game... based solely on the sheer number of hours I poured in to it.

I mean, I also loved Starcraft and Age of Empires 2, but they just didn't have the same draw to me as the hack and slash awesomesauce that was Diablo 2. Don't get me wrong here, all the games on that list are amazing for their audiences, I just didn't play too many of them.

We are also missing console games.
Gauntlet, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Halo: CE (though I suppose this is post-90s, so it may not count).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

You left out Zork and nethack.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

Race'n'Chase, the development for which started in 1995 and progressed through multiple attempts to kill the project. It was supposed to be the player racing around a city and evading the police, but when they noticed that their cop AI was super-aggressive in chasing the player, and that this was more fun than racing, they decided to refocus and renamed the game Grand Theft Auto.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1