3 Replies - 594 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

Poll: Coming from VB.NET to C or C++ ; not sure which? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Which language?

1. C (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. C++ (1 votes [33.33%])

3. Other (1 votes [33.33%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Coming from VB.NET to C or C++ ; not sure which?

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

Hi guys, I've learnt to code in VB.NET (for fundamental coding knowledge) from school but now that I've moved to Mac I've wanted to utilise one of the C languages. I want to pursue a career in Computer Science and want to have the most useful or widely used language under my belt.

Can you guys help me decide whether to move to C or C++ and what the differences are between them. I'm currently using XCode on my Mac (I used to use Visual Basic on Windows) which doesn't support C# otherwise I would have included that as an option.

Thanks so much,

Flay

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Coming from VB.NET to C or C++ ; not sure which?

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Coming from VB.NET to C or C++ ; not sure which?

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

You could try http://www.mono-project.com/ for mac if you want C#.

Why didn't you put Java on your list as well?

> I want to pursue a career in Computer Science
A career in computer science typically means staying at university working on research projects.

But if you're interested in working in the real world, what's your bag?
- banking
- games (PC or console)
- other entertainment (say set-top boxes, DVD players)
- mobile telecoms (Android / Apple)
- other white goods (TVs, toasters, fridges, ...)
- desktop applications
- military-industrial complex.
- internet infrastructure (routers, servers etc)
- etc etc

Being familiar with (and to some extent expert in) multiple stages of the SDLC will do more for your chances than just accumulating a list of languages as if they were scout badges.

To that end, participation on a project or two at https://sourceforge.net/ would do you no harm at all, since it would demonstrate things like teamwork, and knowing more than just where the curly braces go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:49 AM

Both C and C++ are nice to know. C is painfully simple in it's own way, which is both good and bad. C++ is painfully complex, by pretty much any metric. They are both ( dons flame retardant undies ) rather archaic.

Java or Python are both on my "next language" recommended list. Also, lets face it kids: Javascript. Any competent programmer should be more than passing familiar with a few webstack denizens.

If you want to go all XCode you can add Apple's C/Smalltalk demon love child, Objective-C.

I'm afraid "coming from VB.NET" is an odd point of reference. VB.NET has, um, unique syntax. You might poke around C# for the curly brace goodness that so many other languages failed to reject.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

Take my advice and start Competitive programming.
Learn Data Structure and Algorithm with a Pencil and Notebook. Solve problem learn Computer Science Theory(CG,Network Security, AI,ML) just don't care about language.
Mobile, Desktop App even person with non CS Background can do it so what is different between you and that person, go and see the survey of stackoverflow or OSS project contributors most of them not qaulified CS.
Take a Computer Science theory as your major in CS class, learn it thoroughly and implement it, enjoy it and get a job in those field.

Happy Coding....

This post has been edited by CY5: 25 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1