2 Replies - 530 Views - Last Post: 04 May 2017 - 02:43 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Intern's portfolio - what would impress?

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

Hi all,

So at my school, a 2 year college, I've joined this program called PROTO. It's to help non-traditional students, minorities, and others start careers in IT. I'm working with a jobs coach who has had me rework my resume and get set up on LinkedIn. Next on the to do list is a portfolio.

For the portfolio I've got just one significant project to use, so I need one or two more. My first idea is to set up a SQL database on a Raspberry Pi, and then create a Customer Relations Management program (Japplet maybe?) to use with the DB.

Shortly, I will have 2 weeks between quarters that I can use for the projects. So I need to keep it fairly small, but I still need to impress. Given my time constraint, any thoughts on what's the minimum and what's enough to impress?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Intern's portfolio - what would impress?

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Intern's portfolio - what would impress?

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

I would avoiding projects simply to impress. Instead, pick a project about which you're passionate, and work on that. Do you enjoy computational biology? If so, do something related to that! If you enjoy music, do something related to that. You'll be more invested in something you enjoy, and the quality will show. In contrast, folks who usually do something to meet the minimum produce low quality work, and it shows.

Also, there is nothing wrong with throwing something on github that is a work in progress. Just be clear that it is in progress.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Intern's portfolio - what would impress?

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:43 AM

That's a big NO on computational biology, but I have a strong interest in CRMs. So that'll be a good project for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1