3 Replies - 614 Views - Last Post: 09 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What are some examples of junior vs. senior level solutions ?

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

Before you learn a language, you take the long frustrating way for doing something. But when you finally learn it, you take the highway which is especially built for you, and you didn't know it before.

A classic example in C# would be:

Junior Level:
List<int> list = new List() {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10};
List<int> lowerThanFive = new List();
foreach(int num in list) {
    if (num < 5)
        lowerThanFive.Add(num);
}

Senior Level:
List<int> list = new List() {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10};
List<int> lowerThanFive = list.Where(num => num < 5);

Which especially in a long project, saves your ass. It saves a damn lot of time, not this specifically, but all the Linq Functions.

What are other great to mention examples?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What are some examples of junior vs. senior level solutions ?

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are some examples of junior vs. senior level solutions ?

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

POPULAR

Use of LINQ extensions, makes a senior level developer not.

Sound design and implementation decisions with a clear understanding of the trade-offs incurred by those decisions is what distinguishes a senior level developer from a novice. Good designs that follow OOP practices that takes advantage of the language being used exemplifies a good senior developer. Writing easily understood and testable code is a Hallmark of a good senior developer. A senior developer writes code that is primarily understood by humans, and only incidentally executable by machines.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Fuck Trump
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:57 AM

POPULAR

I would say that's a "developer". The special thing that makes a senior developer in my mind is that they're interested in and good at making junior people more senior. This would include both helping people get better at the programming and architecture part of their work (ie, code review superheros) but also modeling the other behaviors that make a good developer. If I'm looking for a really senior person, I'm looking not just at someone who can crank out lots of lines of code, I'm looking for a force multiplier - a person who, by being who they are and what they do, makes the rest of the team better.
Some people might get "senior" on their title as a courtesy, but for me that's the thing that's worth paying senior dollars for.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

Well, I'll be honest. I indented to make the post fun but you guys analyzed it pretty deep -in general- level. :P

Interesting thoughts were thrown on the table though.

Indeed, the real difference between a Senior Developer and a Junior developer is more deep and on multiple levels.

As you guys said:
  • Senior is more professional, therefore knows the business, can make his own plan which is carefully measured for the Business's needs
  • Is able to make a team compact, educate the Team on some levels that are required for the project to have a nice flow.
  • Predict future problems
  • Communicating with the whole team and organizing it
  • Programming in Deep Level. Bottom-Up thinking. Meaning that when he programs, he thinks all about the Low Level stuff (how much the Computer will like your program) and then the High Level (Making the Human Interaction with the code a great quality)
  • And in general ... professionality and leadership. Not giving up when everyone wants to. Being the great example.

That's my perspective at least. You can correct me if you think somewhere I'm wrong, but that's my perspective in general of a great Senior Developer.

This post has been edited by general656: 09 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1