4 Replies - 641 Views - Last Post: 10 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Am I cut out for Computer Science?

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Let's say I have an average IQ (not sure what my IQ is) and that I was a straight F student in high school for lack of trying (this is true). Currently, my knowledge in mathematics is limited; I still need to take pre-calc for example. That's not to say I'm naturally bad in mathematics. I just never did anything in high school. Although it may be the case that I am bad in mathematics. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I've taken CS 101 and CS 102 at a state college and I did reasonably well. I got an A+ and a B+, respectively. My performance in CS 102 was partly due to me not knowing what to focus on because my professor wasn't the best.

Regardless, I've been having some second thoughts on my Computer Science major. I've been asking myself am I smart enough. Is this a stupid question? Is this the wrong question?

I want to become a more logical thinker. I want to become good at math. I want to become smarter. I like riddles. I like computers. I want to become formidable in programming to the point where I can create a video game. However, a person can like something and not be good at it. Should I worry about that? Or should I just buckle down and study Computer Science?

Can anyone here identify with what I'm trying to say here?

I apologize for the ambiguity.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Am I cut out for Computer Science?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Am I cut out for Computer Science?

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Is this a stupid question? Is this the wrong question?

Yes, and yes.

I want to become a more logical thinker. I want to become good at math. I want to become smarter. I like riddles.

You know there are books on that that are cheaper than, say, college tuition. ;)

I want to become formidable in programming to the point where I can create a video game.

So... what's the end game of getting a degree? _JUST_ to make a video game? On a more serious note than above that seems like an awfully expensive way around the bush. I mean there are books on that concept, and code camps for 15 year olds. Building a game is a nice bench mark but certain shouldn't be the end-all/be-all.

Do you actually want to do something with your degree? Get a job - be it networking, system admin, programming, testing, etc? I mean if not then so it goes, but I would think that would be a more substantial goal than just to build a game.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 10 May 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

Is this a stupid question? Is this the wrong question?

Yes, and yes.

I want to become a more logical thinker. I want to become good at math. I want to become smarter. I like riddles.

You know there are books on that that are cheaper than, say, college tuition. ;)/>

I want to become formidable in programming to the point where I can create a video game.

So... what's the end game of getting a degree? _JUST_ to make a video game? On a more serious note than above that seems like an awfully expensive way around the bush. I mean there are books on that concept, and code camps for 15 year olds. Building a game is a nice bench mark but certain shouldn't be the end-all/be-all.

Do you actually want to do something with your degree? Get a job - be it networking, system admin, programming, testing, etc? I mean if not then so it goes, but I would think that would be a more substantial goal than just to build a game.

My ultimate goal is to get a career in software engineering or information technology. I'm more interested in programming than let's say help desk work where I help a client troubleshoot their network connection.

Your questions have made me realize another issue I have. Computer Science so far has been interesting to me, but it's difficult for me to extrapolate forward and picture myself doing it for a living. What I mean by that is when a person says they're a journalist, I can picture that. When a person says they're a physicist, I can picture that. But when a person says they're a computer scientist, I have difficulty picturing that, despite me knowing that Computer Science is the study of algorithms. And because I do not completely understand what the role of a computer scientist is (I don't think I do) in a company, I do not know if it's what I want. I feel like I'd have to get in pretty deep with Computer Science before I could make a good decision.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

In the strictest of senses you would have you bundle of theory, languages, and information from a degree and apply it to a job. Like a programmer... or a qa testers.. or a system admin.. or a network tech.. a data wrangler.. a dba.. etc..
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

What I mean by that is when a person says they're a journalist, I can picture that.

Really? What do you picture? For example, poof, you're a journalist. How many stories a week do you write? How do you find a story to write? How often do you talk to your editor in the course of a work day? How many miles do you put on your car in the course of a given work week?
If you have to think new thoughts to answer those questions, you probably haven't done a whole lot of picturing.

When a person says they're a physicist, I can picture that.

What an academic computer scientist does is not going to be hugely different from what a physicist does. It's going to be a mix of teaching work and research, plus conferences and such, and whatever academic KP you can't get out of. Of course, what you describe for yourself as a likely direction is not going to be working as a computer scientist, any more than a structural engineer is working as a physicist.

And because I do not completely understand what the role of a computer scientist is (I don't think I do) in a company, I do not know if it's what I want.

Most companies do not employ computer scientists. They employ people with CS degrees to work as engineers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1