Need help with page in book

• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 1923 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Need help with page in book

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:00 AM

Ok usually I would take a break but this is just random crap not working like the project not loading. Then some weird compile time errors. And this constant error of InitializeComponent doesn't exist in current context. No idea how to fix that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:42 AM

Again.. put it down, put aside what you are doing, and come back to it by re-reading the book and walking through it with a fresh project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

View PostDialupp, on 12 May 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

Ok usually I would take a break but this is just random crap not working like the project not loading. Then some weird compile time errors. And this constant error of InitializeComponent doesn't exist in current context. No idea how to fix that.

Do me a favor. Call it just a test of your IDE if you like. Walk through my Xamarin series starting on the first page, starting with a brand new solution. Don't rush it. Don't skip ahead. Don't change it, don't try to apply it to your current solution, just do what it says step by step, page by page.

http://www.RedPillXamarin.com

All of that works - I know it works - its a known-good quantity to establish a base-line. If it fails then you know there is a problem with your IDE/installation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

I REALLY hate jumping through new resources. But ok I'll take it from the very start I'll pause this book for now. I am reading your resource atm and says we will need a mac?

This post has been edited by Dialupp: 12 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

I am following your site trying to launch uwp and getting error "Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error Your project.json doesn't list 'win10' as a targeted runtime. You should add '"win10": { }' inside your "runtimes" section in your project.json, and then re-run NuGet restore. Pill.UWP
" I did add it to the json file made no difference

But before that I got this error:
the project needs to be deployed before it can be started. verify the project is selected to be deployed the solution configuration manager, or deploy it explicitly by clinking one of the deploy commands in the build menu"

Xamarin is full of problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

Give me a few minutes. I'm going to make a brand new solution and try to deploy the UWP side. I won't dispute the idea that some update some place broke some thing - Until I confirm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

Never mind fixed ! I installed a random nuget package lol. and I didn't set developer mode in the windows thing. Didn't realize that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

Xamarin is full of problems.

Give me a few minutes. I'm going to make a brand new solution and try to deploy the UWP side.

Works fine. Its not Visual Studio or the Xamarin framework.
Here it is... Step by step... Can't make it any easier than 3 jpg

Make a new project
https://s14.postimg....tjlo8up/001.jpg

Set UWP as the default. Tell ConfigurationManager to build and deploy it.
https://s28.postimg....j0bm08d/002.jpg

Run it.
https://s10.postimg....u44ixm1/003.jpg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

Yeah that's what I did before believe me its not me. I fixed it though had to modify somethings which I shouldn't have to do but ohwell.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:31 PM

You specified for modelbase.cs press "(keystroke Shift-Alt-C) " that didn't do anything just shows local machine tab. If I create a c# file inside that model folder. I don't get the namespace like you have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Never mind I am completely useless folder was under solution not under project portable, but tbh wasn't specified either. Now its not noticing "Serializable" lmfao it just doesn't stop does it? I am laughing in fustration.

This post has been edited by Dialupp: 12 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

View PostDialupp, on 12 May 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

... folder was under solution not under project portable, but tbh [to be honest] wasn't specified either.

I'm going to suggest you slow down when reading instructions. I suspect that's the biggest issue you're facing all around - both with my site and probably the book you're saying isn't any good. If you have to, do what we did when we were 5 years old and learning to read... Put a ruler on the page to cover below the line you're reading and read that one line OUT LOUD to yourself. Hear the instructions as well as read them. Move the ruler down one line at a time. This way you don't miss anything. The equivalent on the browser is to scroll the page down, then scroll it up one line at a time if you have to.

You say the location of the base class wasn't specified in the instructions. I'm not sure how it could have been said any more plainly than an image with the correct project selected and the instruction:
"If you select the folder for Models {...}" - There is only one Models folder in the entire solution: No other has been made anywhere.

Posted Image

You specified for modelbase.cs press "(keystroke Shift-Alt-C) " that didn't do anything

I specified selecting the model and choosing 'New Class' from the context menu ... and gave the default keystroke as a convenience. Again you need to read instructions for what they are really and fully saying. If that keystroke does work then just open the context menu and choose "New Class".

Like most C# Visual Studio tutorials from the USA, the site does presume that your installation/OS is set to English and is using the default C# developer shortcuts. If that doesn't describe your installation either because its in another language or you configured for legacy VB6 shortcuts, or you reprogrammed the shortcuts, or when ReSharper offered you different shortcut settings to resolve conflicts you picked something other than Visual Studio {...} its incumbent on the reader to know their own system and know they don't have the default shortcuts.

But as said in the instructions... Select the Models folder and choose New Class from the context menu...
And voila you get a new class with the implied namespace hierarchy in place for you.

Posted Image

By any chance do you have the final code available -

No. As I stated on the blog I will not be providing finished code because the act of working through the series and having to type out the code is as much part of the learning as the instructions. Copy/paste does not drive the syntax into your brain the same way as engaging multiple parts of your brain when you have to read a screen capture of code, make your fingers type it, read it again on your own screen, see Visual Studio and Intellisense offer up suggestions as you type, then have to debug and fix your typos.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 13 May 2017 - 05:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

Ok I'll try again I don't think it will make any difference, I mean I do have the habit to read things incorrectly by accident but surely I didn't get it wrong after 5 times lol. Also this "By any chance do you have the final code available -" I didn't say that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:44 AM

View PostDialupp, on 13 May 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Also this "By any chance do you have the final code available -" I didn't say that?

Nobody has had a problem or question with that page in the 5 months its been posted.
Then I get the same question you asked here ("Where does the baseclass go?"), in email via the blog's contact form - an hour apart - In very similar phrasing.
What are the odds that's two different people?

The email happen to also include the additional question asking for the code... So I just combined it all here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

Ah ok. You said "in email via the blog's contact form" I checked messaged didn't find anything.

This post has been edited by Dialupp: 14 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +