Need help with page in book

• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 1898 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Need help with page in book

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

I have taken your advice also read it slowly highlighted it whatever, now I get to this part :
"The final project in this chapter is CustomExtensionDemo,which makes use of the HslColorEx-tension class in the new library. The CustomExtensionDemo solution contains a link to the Xama-rin.FormsBook.Toolkit PCL project, and the References section in the CustomExtensionDemo pro-ject lists the Xamarin.FormsBook.Toolkit assembly. "

less than a page down it opens the CustomExtensionDemo. I open the file CustomExtensionDemo. And get these 3 bullshit errors Build action 'EmbeddedResource' is not supported by one or more of the project's targets. I didn't do anything wrong don't think so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

These books and tutorials are created to hand-hold the reader step-by-step. Yet they're all wrong and you're right.

I'm going to suggest taking live classes instead of trying to teach yourself. Self-guided learning isn't the right course for everyone and there are hundreds of colleges and universities to back that statement. I think you'd benefit from being in a class, with an instructor and fellow students. The shared "let's all do this together" experience as well as ability to ask questions in real-time might be something that clicks with you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:52 AM

I didn't say they are wrong. You are over exaggerating. And your definitely right self learning isn't right for me, I don't seem to make much progress. The errors I get in these programs are not my fault they can't be I didn't change anything I took it as is. As far as trying following instructions that is my fault mostly.

This post has been edited by Dialupp: 15 May 2017 - 01:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:30 AM

> I didn't say they are wrong.

Eh? You do know that's what you've been saying throughout this thread don't you? Just because you don't say those exact 3 words "they are wrong" doesn't mean that's not what you're saying.

"I followed the instructions and it doesn't work" - Conclusions is the instructions are wrong
"I followed the instructions and get errors" - Conclusion is the instructions must be wrong
"The instructions did specify where to put that" - Well... The did.
"Its not me, I swear. I did it exactly the same last time but it didn't work then." - You did the same thing two different times and got different results. On a computer. Must be the computer is randomly making you look bad.

Simple fact... If you're always saying "Its them, not me" - Its not them.

Looking at OTHER threads of yours... There is a recurring theme of you having issues... The instructions don't work... Visual Studio doesn't work... SQL doesn't work... Then a couple posts later: "Oh, never mind. Its working now". There's a pattern to someone giving you advice - you argue with them that the advice is wrong, doesn't apply, they're wrong, you know what you're doing is right... Then after a couple more posts breaking it down even further you realize they were right and say "Oh, ah, I see know. Ok, thanks" - I sure hope you don't take this same approach out in the physical world - like at work. Nobody wants to work with 'that guy' that's always saying "Its not my fault" and pushing blame elsewhere. I'm not saying that you do: I don't know you. I'm saying that I hope you don't.

People here are going to put up with that for only so long, then just stop answering your threads. There are only x hours in the evening to spend one's free time helping others. In the time it takes to help you, then try again, then get through to you that the advice is valid... A volunteer can help 3-5 other people that aren't such an uphill battle. Its nothing personal; just simple time management.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:12 AM

Ah ok I guess your right my apologizes if I come out as a whiny person its seriously been a struggling recently. No I am not like that in the real world and. Correct me if I am wrong you posted this part ""I followed the instructions and it doesn't work" - Conclusions is the instructions are wrong" I didn't say instructions are wrong I am saying I tried what it said to do and for some reason it didn't work, whether I didn't follow it properly or what not.

I have seen my other threads and there has been alot of issues like setting up sql and all of that. At least I admitted my faults in the end. But when I try the same thing MULTIPLE times and nothing happens what am I supposed to do try it 100 more times lol in hopes that it will work?

I don't get what you want me to do. I'm not trying to argue with you just wanting to get to the bottom of these problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

> I don't get what you want me to do.

I don't want you to *do* anything.

> just wanting to get to the bottom of these problems.

I've been trying really hard to avoid flat out saying it - but you're not making it easy. You're the one commonality to all these situations... More specifically your inability to follow directions. In some cases such as the book you said is junk, or setting up SQL, we're talking about instructions that x thousand other people have managed to follow.

I can't speak to *why* following directions is a problem for you. Maybe you're un-diagnosed dyslexic... Maybe English is tough because its a second language... Maybe you're just in a hurry and miss stuff... Maybe you do EXACTLY the same thing 20 times instead of trying to re-interpret the instructions to see what you missed the first (5) times.

> its seriously been a struggle recently.
Maybe you need to examine that and ask yourself why. And why recently? Head trauma... Massive change in diet... new medication... Huge change in lifestyle got you pre-occupied... recreational pain killers... Kids went to college and you're sad...

Keep in mind that these books and tutorials are basically someone hand-holding you through basics. If these are a struggle you may need to reconsider this as a career. When you move past these ABC123 tutorials you'll wind up having to make sense of less-than-friendly API and specification documentation that does NOT read well, does NOT hand-hold you through 'click this button here' with screen captures... and so on. I'm basically saying that if the tutorials and books are a huge struggle then the real world is not going to easy or even easier.

There's no shame in that. I could never be in food service, the medical industry, flight controller or anyone of another dozen professions. I came to grips long ago with the idea that I'd be great as a cop but horrible as a social worker, and am pretty damn good as a developer, but have no business being an architect or stage performer. There comes a point where *want* has nothing to do with *ability*.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 15 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

I do have a problem following directions. But there are times where I do follow the steps and get an error or something. When I was following your tutorial and I tried to include the [serialized] namespace didn't work for some reason how can I tell if that's my fault or not?

I signed up for a course on Udemy hopefully that goes better. Oh in terms of career to be honest I was never sure if I really wanted coding as a career maybe a part time hobby or make apps but didn't want to deal with all the stress at work, yet again I have never worked in a coding environment professionally so I don't know. Maybe its then change for a degree change?

If I quit this course I have no idea what I am going to do. Holidays are soon I think I will need to try a bunch of stuff to find my passion, its hard to be honest with my self and say if this is a passion but I can say this for the last couple weeks coding has not been fun I'm constantly getting pissed off and stressed.

But everyone tells me even people in the industry now how the money is extremely good but I know you shouldn't just do it for that.I have said to my self end of holidays if things don't start improving I will probably end up quitting coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +