11 Replies - 1374 Views - Last Post: 28 May 2017 - 08:42 AM Rate Topic: ***-- 2 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Text Based MMORPG

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:47 AM

I want to make a Text based MMORPG. I have little programming background (not very high though). I don't want any high graphics game, i even dont want to implement sounds. I want to create something like Gates of Survival (https://www.gatesofsurvival.com). So please enlighten me how to begin with, you can consider this as my learning experience, in which my first step is to make a clone of this game. I heard PHP is the best language for such games thats why i posted question in PHP Section.

I will continue my development as per the guidance received from you guys.
I also installed EasyPHP Webserver to allow others to see what i made.

Please guide me the initial steps, and what resources (like easyphp) should i use, proper coding language or anything you guys can help me, whatever you tell me i will do, and in case if problems are encountered i will ask here, so this thread can be considered as long term mmo development thread and also tutorial for the future readers :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Text Based MMORPG

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Text Based MMORPG

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

So that's a pretty tall task. You want folk to design it and you just implement it? How about you design it and see how that process goes? You know.. eyeball functionality needs, display UI needs, user interaction needs, data storage/retrieval needs, etc. Taking that information, and your platform requirements, should help direct your project on your terms.

As it is - in the php tutorial section, a few years back, we had a member submit a series of mafia-esque game tutorials. You may get some ideas from that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

Text based games are pretty common in our C++, Java, C#, VB forums: because starting programmers are often limited to a console to keep the number of moving parts down. Even then, it's usually far more complex than a beginner imagines.

You've taken something already complex and added many layers. You'll need to not just know PHP, HTML and CSS. Probably Javascript. Some kind of database, SQL or NoSQL, either of which are a learning curve. Hell, account management. Sound and graphics are actually the icing on the cake for such things.

If you expect this to be easy, it's not. PHP may be a simpler language for beginners, but that doesn't mean the job is any simpler. Doing a a guess my number game is easy, in PHP or anything else. Doing a MMORGP is hard, in PHP or anything else.

Honestly, put this project on your wish list. Start learning PHP from the ground up, simple to harder, knowing this will be hardest. If this sounds like a lot of work, it is. I'm not saying you can't do it, you can learn to program and do this one day. But it won't be any time soon and if you expect that not to be the case you'll only frustrate yourself more.

Get a book. Do all the exercises. If you find this to be fun, as many of us do, you'll be on your way to goal. Don't rush. Don't beat yourself up. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

in which my first step is to make a clone of this game

This question kind of sounds like the programming equivalent of this:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

I have little knowledge about ASP.net and since beginning i always worked with windows and never on linux etc. So a friend of mine suggested to go for ASP.net as front end for my game and back end can be sql server or mysql. He said it will be easy for me to learn advanced asp.net rather than php.

So if any mod of forums is reading this, please transfer my thread to asp.net section. Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

He said it will be easy for me to learn advanced asp.net rather than php.

It's not about the language, it's about programming. Programming is not about languages, it's about expressing your will in a way that can be understood by human beings and also by machines - languages are just tools for doing this. 1

This problem is not a "hard" problem in the sense that computer scientists use the term, but it is not a trivial programming challenge and it requires substantial design work. One of the things that you'll discover in the course of doing this design work is that you will not be writing a game, you will be writing a game-writing platform. That is, you will be creating a tool that can present content to users and respond to their input in ways appropriate to a massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

Since this is the thing you will be doing, it would be useful for you to sit down and start thinking about requirements. Think about minimal stuff, like user identity management (how do I create a profile on your system? how do I log in? how do I know that nobody else can log in with my profile?) and game-related stuff (what sorts of ways will your users interact with this game?) Do some research into requirements gathering - how do people know what it is that they're trying to build, anyway?

Once you've done all this, the project may seem more intimidating than it seems now. If so, this is a good thing: you've done the easy part, you've learned something useful about engineering, and you've gathered useful information about this project, specifically that it may well be outside of your capabilities for now. If that happens, think of a smaller project and repeat until you get something that you think you can deliver on. Then you may start writing code.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

I tried learning about PHP but didn't get anything in my head at all. However when i read tutorials of asp.net it seems easily understandable at least. So i suppose Programming Language do matter unless you are an expert at a particular language, its then that you can go for any language. But as a noob i suppose choosing one language especially that you can understand easily, should be the base for you :)

Thanks!!!
--------------------------------

And finally i started my project currently making my login page and registration one will upload screenshots here once they are done in ASP.net, also please tell some way how can i upload them to be viewable by dreamincode community, so that they can test it and provide me further suggestions to improve it.

---------------------------------

And also as it is now fully ASP.net project please shift the thread to ASP section or game development section so that i get better support. Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:19 AM

Thanks for shifting my post to Game Development. Now my current progress can be tracked from here......
I already created home page :)

Here is my progress - https://groups.googl...ang/QYCdqq1BrMg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:38 AM

You could reasonably do everything on github. I see you set up a page.

Um, Ring Language? I can't even read the main page, because Privacy Badger blocks it... So, why choose this?

I'm not a fan of PHP. However, I would recommend if for the following reasons:
  • Huge user base
  • By extension, easy to get community support.
  • Near universal adoption: almost all ISPs offer PHP as a basic option.
  • Had been around forever, this impacts support.
  • Boiler plate code is readily available.

For ASP.NET, your ISP options are somewhat more limited, but the rest holds. Additionally, as a Microsoft product, MS provides its own support and Visual Studio is an exceptional IDE. Note, this is more a platform that an language.

Python also offers popularity, lesser ISP support, but is an excellent language. In terms of available code base, few can surpass it. This language is often recommended to beginners. So, after you're competent in at least one language, you can start working on a web app.

Node.Js is the new kid on the block. However, huge community and all the options you could want. And, let's face it, if you're doing a web app you're stuck in Javascript much of the time, anyway. Indeed, the tool chains that JS developers have come up with have found there way back to the other listed platforms.

Ring? I've never heard of it before. ISP support? Community? Available boilerplate? Why choose this one?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:21 AM

Maybe trying something new is cool. I tried all other options earlier, except for visual studio nothing was good for me, nor i understood anything there. But for visual studio i dont know how will i host my creations in it :D

For ring language, so far everything has been good, i even designed my home page, registration page, login page, and now developing forgot password and change password pages. Community is not too wide as language is new but its very easy and the creator of language is himself helping me as you can see in the above google group forum link that i posted.

The creator of language daily login once i suppose and help anybody whose queries have been posted up there personally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

View Postmailmeharry2008, on 25 May 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

Maybe trying something new is cool.

Doubtless. However, correct me if I'm wrong: isn't it all new to you?

I tried all other options earlier

Even the friendliest platform won't do the work for you. You seem to be environment shopping in lieu of working. Nothing exists that will make the nuts and bolts of the job easier. That's on you.

For ring language, so far everything has been good, i even designed ...

Excellent. I'm glad it's working for you. I wonder if you could take what you've learned and apply it to, maybe, PHP?

the creator of language is himself helping me

I see. He might just be happy to have someone to talk to... Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

1. Its not all new to me. I have an experience of 2 years in ASP.net and C# earlier and also with SQL Server.
2. I am working more than environment shopping which you can easily see in google group here - https://groups.googl...ang/QYCdqq1BrMg
Already finished creating my Homepage, forgot password, change password, registration, login (UI plus code) and main game page UI design (not coding for this)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also my github page displays my efforts - https://github.com/m.../KingofGrinders

3. Why would i want to apply it to PHP? I want to design my game, if its done then i will be happy and just host it simply.

4. At least he is not discouraging someone like you and instead encouraging him :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1