8 Replies - 3568 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Stick it out or waste of time

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I was doing .NET development for a small company in the smallest town you could imagine for about 8 months. I loved the work and the people I worked with, but I could not stand living there anymore. I then accepted a job in Kansas City. I was aware that the job was a Support Software Engineer and that a lot of the job would be dealing with debugging issues with software and resolving issues for clients. I have been at this job for 8 weeks, have finished training, and have been working on issues for about two weeks now. However, there is absolutely no programming involved in this position. Most of the job is parsing through logs on backend servers, looking up tables in mySQL, and interfacing with clients.

I would ask my manager for a change to development, but there is a company policy that forbids changing teams until you have worked for the company for 18 months, and you must put in a request that will be accepted or denied. I enjoy development, and creating useful applications. My fear is that I will lose development skills as I will not be using them everyday. I feel that I would enjoy the development side of this company, but 18 months is a long time to wait for a chance at getting into the development side. I have been trying to work on some independent projects outside of work, but I am dead tired after work and rarely feel like contributing to the projects.

Do you think that I should wait out the 18 months and do as much independent development I can do outside of work, or try looking for a development job somewhere else? There are competitive development jobs in the area, but the company I work for is the dominant software company in area.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Stick it out or waste of time

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Stick it out or waste of time

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

Without guarantees of being allowed to switch, I think that life is too short to be miserable. Start job hunting elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

I had this issue, I waited, got a promotion, & found a better job easier with the advanced position than I would have had as a non-developer. Don't know what the job market is like there, but I'm always open for an opportunity. Therefore I say stick out the 18 months, but continue to be on the look out.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

You know, you can always learn and program in your spare time. If you love it, then make it a hobby that you do at home for 18 months. One way you could look at it, dealing with customers at work and programming on your own time may actually make you a better well rounded programmer. You can learn to relate to customer issues and then turn around and develop solutions to their pain points.

You could go one step further and identify some issues at work that is always creeping up, develop a solution to it at home and then pitch it to your supervisors. If they like what they see, they may waive the rule and let you switch teams. I can't imagine a company would strictly hold someone back from doing really great work that can benefit the company. But then again I have been surprised. One thing people need to understand is that just because you don't do it at your job doesn't mean you can't do it on your own time.

I say stick it out, do your own programming projects so you won't stop learning and practicing and see what happens after 18 months. If they don't transfer you, then drop that job as fast as you can and look for another because obviously they don't care about growing your skill set. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 23 May 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

You know, you can always learn and program in your spare time. If you love it, then make it a hobby that you do at home for 18 months. One way you could look at it, dealing with customers at work and programming on your own time may actually make you a better well rounded programmer. You can learn to relate to customer issues and then turn around and develop solutions to their pain points.

You could go one step further and identify some issues at work that is always creeping up, develop a solution to it at home and then pitch it to your supervisors. If they like what they see, they may waive the rule and let you switch teams. I can't imagine a company would strictly hold someone back from doing really great work that can benefit the company. But then again I have been surprised. One thing people need to understand is that just because you don't do it at your job doesn't mean you can't do it on your own time.

I say stick it out, do your own programming projects so you won't stop learning and practicing and see what happens after 18 months. If they don't transfer you, then drop that job as fast as you can and look for another because obviously they don't care about growing your skill set. :)/>

Very true, I got my foot in the door to a company with lots of opportunity and I can gain some attention by excelling at my current position while preparing for my position of choice :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

Skydiver and no2pencil have the right answer. If you don't like your current job, keep your eyes open for something more appealing, but don't let your boss know that you're looking until you have accepted an offer.
Some people would say this is somehow dishonest, but I say they kind of gave you this answer when they told you that they wouldn't consider a change in assignment for a year and a half. Stick around for a year and a half hoping that they'll move you into a position you want to be in? No, sorry, if you're a programmer you have better opportunities out there - you just have to go find them.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 23 May 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

Skydiver and no2pencil have the right answer. If you don't like your current job, keep your eyes open for something more appealing, but don't let your boss know that you're looking until you have accepted an offer.
Some people would say this is somehow dishonest, but I say they kind of gave you this answer when they told you that they wouldn't consider a change in assignment for a year and a half. Stick around for a year and a half hoping that they'll move you into a position you want to be in? No, sorry, if you're a programmer you have better opportunities out there - you just have to go find them.

I completely agree and I will be looking for other positions that I would enjoy more. The current position is extremely stressful and demanding. For that reason, it is known to have a fast turn over rate. i don't mind working a stressful job if it is something that I enjoy doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

View PostLahteL, on 23 May 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

Hello everyone,

I was doing .NET development for a small company in the smallest town you could imagine for about 8 months. I loved the work and the people I worked with, but I could not stand living there anymore. I then accepted a job in Kansas City. I was aware that the job was a Support Software Engineer and that a lot of the job would be dealing with debugging issues with software and resolving issues for clients. I have been at this job for 8 weeks, have finished training, and have been working on issues for about two weeks now. However, there is absolutely no programming involved in this position. Most of the job is parsing through logs on backend servers, looking up tables in mySQL, and interfacing with clients.

I would ask my manager for a change to development, but there is a company policy that forbids changing teams until you have worked for the company for 18 months, and you must put in a request that will be accepted or denied. I enjoy development, and creating useful applications. My fear is that I will lose development skills as I will not be using them everyday. I feel that I would enjoy the development side of this company, but 18 months is a long time to wait for a chance at getting into the development side. I have been trying to work on some independent projects outside of work, but I am dead tired after work and rarely feel like contributing to the projects.

Do you think that I should wait out the 18 months and do as much independent development I can do outside of work, or try looking for a development job somewhere else? There are competitive development jobs in the area, but the company I work for is the dominant software company in area.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Hi,
I feel doing the job in the current scenario is the best while looking for the change simultaneously. The other thing I would like to suggest is to work on some dot net development projects as a freelancer so that you may not forget the codes. Once you get an opportunity to work as dot net developer, you can work with it from 9 to 5 and be leaving the freelance project, if needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

I absolutely agree with skydiver, life is short, 18 months is a long time. I also do a lot of thing with that period. Do the thing you thought was right and feel comfortable
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1