• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

56 Replies - 4316 Views - Last Post: 13 July 2017 - 05:57 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

C# vs java

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

which one do you think is better option??I am polish and I live in Cracow I see that there is a little bit more job offers in keyword .net than java...Do you think java will be falling down?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# vs java

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# vs java

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

I prefer C# over Java.

At least with C# you know enough .NET to be fluent in VB.NET so there's that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 ndc85430  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

Some people certainly want Java to die in favour of other JVM languages - see, e.g. this talk.

On C# vs. Java, I don't really have an opinion since I've not programmed in C# (and to be honest, I don't program on Windows, so ...).

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 30 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

C# started out life as a Java clone for Micro$oft. They even poached one of the lead Java devs, iirc. However, that was many moons ago and C# is way beyond Java in terms of features at this point.

Now, Java wasn't idle since C#'s inception. Both languages have borrowed from each other over the years. However, Java has a rather draconian vision of OOP, while C# is willing to embrace the chaos of other paradigms freely.

If you're debating between the two, it's actually pretty simple. If you're working in the Windows ecosystem, then C# is the only option. If not, then Java. Though it's kind of a false dichotomy: there are just so many languages to choose from and C# and Java offer different things.

@ndc85430 It is rather fascinating that Java is the progenitor of so many protestant JVM offspring. I'd never heard of Kotlin and Ceylon. Is clojure passe now? Groovy? I was kind of routing for Scala.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

If you're looking to do game development, C# has an edge there - there's a lot of first-class support in modern game engines.

Otherwise, I'd take the comment about knowing C# leading to VB.net knowledge and turn it around - knowing Java and the JVM is a good foot in the door to MANY great languages:

• Scala
  • JRuby
  • Clojure
  • Kotlin
  • Ceylon

View Postbaavgai, on 30 May 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

@ndc85430 It is rather fascinating that Java is the progenitor of so many protestant JVM offspring. I'd never heard of Kotlin and Ceylon. Is clojure passe now? Groovy? I was kind of routing for Scala.

Ceylon is probably best compared to Scala, though Scala has tons more traction. I think Ceylon suffers from slow development and being tied to Eclipse initially. Between Scala having a prime mover advantage and Kotlin having corporate backing and infinitely easier adoption, I don't see Ceylon gaining any ground. I think the war for a better Java has already been lost, and I'm not really sure Scala's future is certain given their current roadmap.

Clojure isn't passe yet. I doubt it will get to the heights that Scala has or Kotlin may. It's a tool that will undoubtedly only appeal to a small group of developers - the intersection of those who will tolerate the JVM and those who will use a Lisp. I think it fails that role well. I don't build many large systems with it but there are some projects that it feels perfect for.

JRuby is a great tool if you want a nice REPL for testing Java stuff, and it's a better platform for Rails than the default Rails.

There are worse platforms to buy into than the JVM.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

POPULAR

Don't learn a language, learn how to learn languages. It doesn't matter whether you learn Java or C# today, as long as you can learn the other tomorrow.

In terms of job prospects, I see a lot more Java than C# where I am (Boston), but I'm not really looking to work in either so I haven't been looking carefully. Although the two are very similar in their overall approach to the world, they seem to be used in very different ways - Java seems to be very popular for web backend, and C# seems to have a lot of use in internal systems for large organizations. This makes sense, since you're not going to develop an application in C# unless you can know that it's only going to be used on Windows machines, and "internal system for a large organization" is one strong way to guarantee that case. On the other hand, you're not going to develop a web service in C# unless you want to use Windows servers, and, well, that's not exactly the most popular option in the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

Both Java and C# have their places and their strengths. Look at the job that you want to do and see which language might fit best. If you are doing an Android app, then Java would be your language. If you are doing a .NET application on desktop, then perhaps C# might be at home.

I keep both of the languages on par with one another and use both frequently depending on the job. Java is certainly not dead by a long shot and while you might see more C# jobs more prevalent in your area, I can tell you Java is much more in demand in other parts of the world.

On a side note, it was mentioned that if you are working in a Windows ecosystem that C# is pretty much your only option. I wouldn't say that is entirely accurate. I work in a Windows ecosystem and use both regularly. Now it might be said that C# is more tailored to Windows, but you can pretty much do anything in Java that you can do in C#... all be it a bit more verbosely and perhaps with a library or two extra.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

I've been scanning the job ads for a couple months, looking at internships. Java is mentioned in nearly every ad along with a mix of others. Occasionally, I'll see C#. But it's five to one or more.

Java is the language I know best (out of three :D), and I don't feel like I know it well enough. Switching would be like leaving Dagobah before finishing my Jedi training.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Java is the language I know best (out of three ), and I don't feel like I know it well enough. Switching would be like leaving Dagobah before finishing my Jedi training.

At some point, leave you must. Much learning in other languages to be found there is. Mmm. Seek the path of many parentheses, and study well the art of recursion. And no, Kermit's autograph I cannot get you. Why does everyone ask me that?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#10 ndc85430  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

View Postxclite, on 30 May 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

Ceylon is probably best compared to Scala, though Scala has tons more traction. I think Ceylon suffers from slow development and being tied to Eclipse initially. Between Scala having a prime mover advantage and Kotlin having corporate backing and infinitely easier adoption, I don't see Ceylon gaining any ground.

I haven't played with Ceylon, but I think you're right in that it might just fall by the wayside. In my own company, we have some Java, but newer stuff is being written in Scala or Kotlin.

Hell, there's even a Haskell for the JVM.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:20 AM

The important thing is which language is used for larger projects?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:49 AM

Between C# and Java? Both are great languages for large projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#13 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• lashings of ginger beer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:51 AM

Both are used in large, and very large, projects. Your OP originally asked which "is better", but you also mention about job opportunities in your zone:

View Postrozkurwiator, on 30 May 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

which one do you think is better option??I am polish and I live in Cracow I see that there is a little bit more job offers in keyword .net than java...Do you think java will be falling down?

Please clarify your question. If, as originally, you are asking which "is better" then you still need to clarify: "better in what way, and for what tasks/projects"? Just asking which "is better" will just encourage a tonne of differing, strong, opinions.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

The most interesting think for me is webservices so which platform should I choose?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 ndc85430  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

Why don't you try building a simple web service in both and see which you prefer? My team is currently doing something similar - we're investigating two web frameworks for Scala for building a new service.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »