4 Replies - 563 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to approach my CS disseration ?

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hello,

I'm currently coming toward the end of my industry year placement (about 12 weeks remaining). I would love to get an early start on constructing an idea and even making a literal start on my final year dissertation.

The problem I have with my dissertation is, I literally have no idea what I should do. The only rule my university has, is we need to have a customer for the dissertation (assuming you're not writing a thesis).

The university itself can act as a customer if you can't find one.

I know my post is super vague, but I can add more as the replies come in. Does anybody have any advice on how to come up with an idea, or any ideas there selves ?

I want to do something that will make me stand out, and impress tutors. My main interest is mobile development, however this does not need to be included.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to approach my CS disseration ?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to approach my CS disseration ?

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

Does anybody have any advice on how to come up with an idea, or any ideas there selves ?

I turn to Lucas for help on the nature of thoughts..

Posted Image

.. alternatively BigWeld also has commentary.

Posted Image

You spent all this time in school, roved about town, and have access to the net. What project would help someone out accomplish some task or add information to a situation?

Then there's the project lists:

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

By this point, you hopefully have interests. Do you like computational biology? Do a computational biology project. If you're into number theory, work on something related to computational number theory. Find a research lab with need for a programmer. Work on your own fun project.

I want to do something that will make me stand out, and impress tutors. My main interest is mobile development, however this does not need to be included.

This is not a good approach. Do something on which you want to spend time. The quality usually shines through more on projects you enjoy, than on projects you are picking solely to impress folks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Also don't do anything that is stupid-big. Think small, polished, and able to fit in your time frame. Don't go off and think you are making the next Amazon/WOW/Crackspace killer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

The problem I have with my dissertation is, I literally have no idea what I should do. The only rule my university has, is we need to have a customer for the dissertation (assuming you're not writing a thesis).

Why are you not writing a thesis?

First question by any employer seeing your MS is going to be ... "so what was your thesis?"

This post has been edited by jjl: 12 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1