9 Replies - 664 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Recommendations for webapp

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

HI there ,

I was looking for some recommendation I am thinking of creating a webapp for my final year project, I would like if webapp could create code project from preferences. So just say like yeoman.io you know so just say give you preferences and then it generates code with the prefrences injected in. What would be the best Languages, technologies, frameworks ect. you would recommend

I have alot of experience with javascript, golang, php, java and a bit more. I would like if the code that was generated was go lang tho.

Any help would be great, I would love to be able to take this on for my project.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Recommendations for webapp

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Recommendations for webapp

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Moved to the student area with the other "final year projects"..

I would like if webapp could create code project from preferences.

That seems like a ridiculously large project for a 'final year project'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 31 May 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

Moved to the student area with the other "final year projects"..

I would like if webapp could create code project from preferences.

That seems like a ridiculously large project for a 'final year project'.

Really, I have one year,

I think it could be okay, have a lot of generic templates then user can only specify preferences that are supported,

You have me freaked out now : ) But I have quite a high work rate. How long would you think it could take.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

I have no idea who you are, where you are, or what's going on in your sphere. I do know that of the hundreds and hundreds of "suggest me a capstone project" or "I want to do project X but do not know where to start" that they do not end well. Well.. the ones that report back at least.

Take a step back. You want to make some hoodoo app that, through clicking some buttons, creates some other app. Nope. That is difficult for an actual team to do let alone some lone high school kid for a cap stone project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

Ill come back here when I have it done

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 31 May 2017 - 12:10 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

I'll put a piece of cake in some tupperware, and bury it in the back of the fridge with 05/31/2018 on it for the occasion. ;) :^: :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 31 May 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

I'll put a piece of cake in some tupperware, and bury it in the back of the fridge with 05/31/2018 on it for the occasion. ;)/> :^:/> :D/>

Haha :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

View Postside-winder, on 31 May 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

I was looking for some recommendation I am thinking of creating a webapp for my final year project, I would like if webapp could create code project from preferences. So just say like yeoman.io you know so just say give you preferences and then it generates code with the prefrences injected in. What would be the best Languages, technologies, frameworks ect. you would recommend

Needs more specification. I mean, you could produce something that would generate a "custom" hello world program, where the "custom" part would be the name of the greetee. I assume you mean something a little more, um, interesting. What will this thing allow me to do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:03 AM

There are a lot of apps that can be done. Think of something that interests you. Maybe, a subject or field that you are attracted to. Let us know what those are and we can start thinking from there.

You'll have to consider the timeline. You say you have a year but how many months is that? How many days in a week can you dedicate? How much hours in a day? Do you have other subjects or other tasks that may eat some time preventing you to work on this project full time? Depending on your timeline, you'll have to consider priority modules for your app. You'll have to weigh importance and feasibility of the features within that time frame.

It's hard to suggest as we don't know your actual timeline and current skills. You asked "How long could that take?" The answer varies from person to person as it will still depend on the person's skill level and experience.

Here are some guidelines though that you may need to consider when creating an idea for the app:
- It may be something completely new and has never been created before
- It may be something that already exists but you'll introduce some new features and improvements
- It may be something formed from the combination of different ideas

Hope this helps you in a way. :)

This post has been edited by November-06: 25 August 2017 - 05:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

i would recommend that you do something that you are relatively familiar with. For example, if you currently work at a restaurant or a hardware store, maybe do a point-of-sale system that could work for that particular business. The reason I suggest this, is because you understand the business and know the requirements for that particular industry.

Only you, or somebody that knows your project well enough, can tell you where to start this project, and if you need advice in this area, I would suggest that you keep it simple and add features/complexity as you go. Dont swing for the fences right from the start, but do have a list of features that you want your app to have (both simple and complex).

As for languages and frameworks, go with what you are most comfortable with. I personally think that it is best to get really good with a language, and if you need to pivot later to a different language, it should be easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1