• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1134 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

• Futurama: Insert funny joke here
  • member icon

• View blog

4K Monitors?

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

Prices of 4k monitors have been going down lately, is it good time to get one yet? How many of you are currently using 4k monitors in your daily jobs? IF you do not use 4k, what do you use.

My choice is narrowed to two monitors Asus PB287Q and Samsung LU28E590DS/ZA

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 4K Monitors?

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 4K Monitors?

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Unless you're doing some insanely detailed graphics work, then I don't really see the point.

Do the current OS and apps for them even properly support these huge resolutions? I remember the pain of having to use a tiny Full HD screen on my laptop with Windows, where half the apps just looked like crap because the resolution was too high for the screen at 96 DPI and the apps didn't scale up natively, so they ended up either too small to read or blurry as all hell.

A lot of hassle for no real gain, in most cases.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

Atli brings up a good point in that from what I understand 4k monitors that are not big in physical dimensions tend to really over sharpen things and make text really tiny. So for now I would say they are overkill.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:51 AM

I am a software developer, and i need a lot of work-space but my table is too small for multi monitor setup so i wanted to get 4k monitor. I read that the scaling issue is fixed in windows 10 aside for a few 3rd party apps it will present no issue for me. Samsung version is affordable for me, so if the scaling issue is the only problem then i will get one for myself.

I just wanted to know your own personal experience with 4k monitors.
Display Scaling changes for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

This post has been edited by Michael26: 03 June 2017 - 12:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostMichael26, on 03 June 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

I read that the scaling issue is fixed in windows 10 aside for a few 3rd party apps...

It's been improved in Windows 10, but it's not really ready for prime-time yet. The "3rd party apps" part is the big problem with Window and DPI scaling. It's not a "few 3rd party apps" that don't support it, it is in fact MOST 3rd party applications. (Read: proper desktop applications, as opposed to Metro apps.)

Lave it to Microsoft to sugar-coat that minor detail.

Desktop apps have to be specifically written to support DPI scaling, and most of them aren't. Until this "anniversary update" to Win10, the OS had pathetic support for it. Even if you wanted to do it, you probably couldn't. - Microsoft didn't even bother to do this for their own major applications (like Office and Skype) until very recently.

I maintain that buying a 4K monitor now is premature. You're basically guaranteed to run into scaling issues, and the benefit for coding setups is minor. I'd personally rather go for a really good 28 inch QHD (or even FullHD) screen at this point. Those you could reasonably run at 96 DPI and avoid all the DPI scaling mess.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

Or i can buy 4k monitor use it as QHD just until the issue is fixed or "mended" in any way, i don't buy new monitor every year or 2.
This monitor i plan to use for at least five years. It is easier to downscale monitors resolution for me rather than to buy a new monitor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

Sure, that's a solid point.

Kind of comes down to prices really. In my area, 4K monitors are still significantly more expensive than HD/QHD monitors, so assuming their prices will come down some in the next couple of years, I'd probably save money by buying a decent QHD monitor now, and then a decent 4K monitor in a couple of years. The alternative for me would be to buy the lowest quality 4K monitor for more than 2x the price of a decent QHD monitor.

Upside there is I could actually wait until Microsoft gets around to fixing the scaling issues properly before committing to a 4K monitor. If it takes them more than a couple of years (which is a good bet) I'd probably end up getting a better 4K monitor at a reasonable price whenever that happens.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:47 AM

View PostAtli, on 03 June 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Desktop apps have to be specifically written to support DPI scaling, and most of them aren't. Until this "anniversary update" to Win10, the OS had pathetic support for it. Even if you wanted to do it, you probably couldn't. - Microsoft didn't even bother to do this for their own major applications (like Office and Skype) until very recently.

Yes desktop apps have to be specifically written to support high DPI, specially if they are using GDI or GDI+. Microsoft actually had all the high DPI APIs already in place and available by the time WinXP was released. The main problem was that very few application writers bothered with listening to the notifications and doing all the work do all the rescaling (beyond supporting perhaps just 96 DPI and 120 DPI). At the time, there was very little incentive just like the way most apps don't bother supporting right-to-left as well as other internationalization issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

I am currently using dual ASUS PB287Q 4K monitors, and love them. I am also on Windows 7. Yes, the scaling on Windows 7 is bad, but I actually have good enough eyes that I don't scale the UI at all. I did have to increase my text size in Linux by a pt (now running at 12pt font size instead of 11pt), but other than that I haven't modified how I look at things.

As far as graphics for gaming go, I was using a GTX 640 graphics card initially with them and could get a solid 27 FPS on high graphics settings on my most intensive games. I did wind up upgrading my card to a GTX 1080 when I had the money and now see 60+ FPS.

I haven't had any major annoyances with the monitors and enjoy them greatly. If anything, I with I had upgrades to 4K earlier.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:56 AM

Here is another question.
28 inch 4k 16:9 or 34 inch 2560x1080 21:9
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:43 AM

I'm currently running on a 29" 2560x1080 21:9 monitor. I looked at the 34" but the dot pitch was too big for me so I opted for the 29".

I love this monitor, except for one thing: I want a virtual bezel in the middle of the screen. I'd gotten so used to either maximizing a window and keep on being surprised that the windows ends up taking all the of the 2560x1080 instead of my old 1280x1080. I tried using the screen splitter software provided by LG. It sucks because it assumes that any window created within its panes is meant to be maximized. After fighting with it for about two weeks. I found that I was more productive not fighting with it and just slamming windows to the left or to the right of the screen to let Windows expand the screens to half width when I need it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:24 AM

My suggestion would be less than 30 inches. You have to remember that you are going to be sitting about 2 feet from the monitors, so if they are huge you will have to tilt your head to be able to see an entire single monitor - that can add a lot of strain to your neck and get uncomfortable. There is also the pixel angle to keep in mind - the more off center you get (so the higher angle between your eye and the pixel's normal) the more aberration you will notice. And then there is also pixel density; 34 inches with 2560x1080 comes out to be ~82 PPI whereas [email protected] inches comes out to be slightly over 157 PPI. The higher the PPI the smoother looking images and text will be (though also the smaller the interface will be, unless you have high-DPI capabilities or good eyes).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

So you Wouldn't use monitors like LG-34UC79G-B

This post has been edited by Michael26: 07 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

Actually, with the LG monitors, they have a 120 degree view angle. Pretty amazing.

Choosing that curved monitor will be sweet, but for my eyes the dots were just too big when I was at the store trying to choose which monitor to take home.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

So the decision has come to this LG 34UC79G 21:9 2560 x 1080 with 144hz refresh rate or LG 34UM88-P 21:9 3440 x 1440 with 60hz, keep in mind that this monitor primary role will be software development. How different are the 2560 x 1080 and 3440 x 1440?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +