2 Replies - 447 Views - Last Post: 06 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Flutter? Or other cross-platform alternative?

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hi

I need to develop a small application soon for both Android and iOS.
However the application is part of a bigger project and shouldn't be
my main-focus.

With other words, it'd be too much to develop it for iOS first, then for Android
and to then maintain two whole different code-bases.

So I need something cross-platform to only have one code-base to maintain.
I first thought of Flutter (Dart), it's cross-platform and
doesn't seem too hard to learn, however it's not very popular and so you can't find
many things about it on the internet (if you stumble on problems).

Has someone already worked with Flutter? Would you recommend it?
Or does someone have better ideas/alternatives to write cross-platform code for iOS and Android.

The application is basically an application to let customers communicate with me while I'm developing
a website for them.
Simple chat, progress-view, picture-view. That's all. So basically only a matter of sending HTTP(S)-requests
the whole time to communicate with the database via a small API.

Would Flutter be enough for this? And will I find enough support for this on the internet?

TL;DR:
Does someone know Flutter? Is there a better alternative to write basic mobile cross-platform iOS and Android applications.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by O'Niel: 05 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Flutter? Or other cross-platform alternative?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Flutter? Or other cross-platform alternative?

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

Never heard of flutter. Have you looked into Xamarin?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Flutter? Or other cross-platform alternative?

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Xamarin is definitely a much more robust system. Fully C#/XAML/MVVM compliant. Use Visual Studio and all the years of work put in to its diagnostic tools and so on.

> I need to develop a small application soon for both Android and iOS.

You can either do it well, or you can do it fast. Don't expect both.

Don't expect either one if you don't already understand the eco-system you're working in. If you don't know anything about building apps, don't understand the complexities of a cross-platform app, don't understand mobile apps... Which is all evident by this statement
> So basically only a matter of sending HTTP(S)-requests the whole time to communicate with the database via a small API.
Well... Don't have very high expectations of your final product.

Application are not web pages/sites. There is a lot more than you seem to think. Just a few examples:
  • How much time do you have from launch of your iOS app to displaying the UI before iOS kills your app for being unresponsive?
  • What database are you going to use that is friendly to all three major mobile OSes (UWP, iOS, Droid)?
  • What droid permissions do you need to request to even obtain file write to your local db?
  • How do you handle your app being backgrounded by the user, and possibly killed, to make sure you don't loose data/settings/state?

What is your reason to think you have to make your own for this purpose? Is there some reason you can't use one of the gazillion chat systems already in existence?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1