Ruby as starting language

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 7833 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2008 - 08:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Ruby as starting language

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

Okay I want to get started in computer programing and Ruby looked like a good choice. I'm looking to program games for the most part and I've only programed text games on my TI-84+. I Also know a little bit of html. Is ruby a good starting language?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ruby as starting language

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Ruby as starting language

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

I have no personal experience, because I am learning Ruby too but one of the reasons that I chose Ruby for was people saying how easy and useful it is to be your first language.

Plus, with Ruby on Rails (which is pretty close to Ruby) you can program online games too! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

It really doesn't matter what language you start with, just pick a modern day language that supports the object oriented paradigm and you'll pretty much know how to program in any language.
Ruby is nice though, and it wouldn't hurt to start learning how to program with it.

Plus, with Ruby on Rails (which is pretty close to Ruby) you can program online games too! wink2.gif

Umm, yeah it doesn't just come close, it is Ruby!
But side note, yes rails is awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

View Postspullen, on 6 Jan, 2008 - 08:56 PM, said:

Plus, with Ruby on Rails (which is pretty close to Ruby) you can program online games too! wink2.gif

Is it? I have no idea about Network Programming (hope I got the term right) & thought there are some other things involved too.

This post has been edited by SebKom: 07 January 2008 - 01:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

I think ruby would be a great start out language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

I tried to take my first non-web language as ruby at University of Texas, and really, that class you had to have previous C++, Java or oop knowledge. maybe it was just because it was a Computer sciences class they expected that... but in my case it was going to be impossible to start with ruby.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:32 PM

I agree with Spullen here, Ruby or any other modern programming language will do just fine. However, after tinkering around with a lot of languages, I found out that Ruby or Python are the best to start out with (my personal opinion). They're gentle enough with the newbie but still teach you important concepts including multiple paradigms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:35 AM

View PostSebKom, on 7 Jan, 2008 - 01:44 PM, said:

View Postspullen, on 6 Jan, 2008 - 08:56 PM, said:

Is it? I have no idea about Network Programming (hope I got the term right) & thought there are some other things involved too.

Yes, it is - Rails is a Framework that enables you to create web-based applications in Ruby.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

Yes it is a good language for starting out however while learning that you might want to learn other stuff as it maybe useful later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

I have mixed feelings about learning Ruby as a startup language; it’s great for concentrating on just solving the problem. But its forgiving nature might take away from what more stringent languages might help a programmer understand about memory allocations and data types. I mean it really doesn’t matter what language you start out learning, because when it comes to solving problems, there are concepts you have to learn to solve any problem; and your ability to utilize those lessons and solve the problem as rationally as possible are what will mark you as a good programmer.

But that’s just my take on things….
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

View PostAlilSpaced, on 20 Feb, 2008 - 03:32 PM, said:

I have mixed feelings about learning Ruby as a startup language; it’s great for concentrating on just solving the problem. But its forgiving nature might take away from what more stringent languages might help a programmer understand about memory allocations and data types. I mean it really doesn’t matter what language you start out learning, because when it comes to solving problems, there are concepts you have to learn to solve any problem; and your ability to utilize those lessons and solve the problem as rationally as possible are what will mark you as a good programmer.

But that’s just my take on things….

I sorta agree with this. I started out with C/C++ as my first languages. For some reason I feel like going from Ruby to something stricter like C/C++ wouldn't have been as easy as going from C++ down to Ruby. But I guess I just prefer to start hard and get easier :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

Ruby good asa first language but shouldn't be your only language. It's easy and powerful. Nuff Said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

I'm kinda like Einherjar, I like to start hard and get easier. Its my nature I guess.

Personally, I've never tried ruby, but looking at what people have said, I'd say it looks like a good beginning language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

Yes, HeadShot, but many things in Rails are done "under the hood" and automatically, which can make people lazy, so I join Einherjar and you on the hard-to-easy approach.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:39 PM

I would say that I don't agree with you guys.
I began programming first in Assembler, go through C/C+, a little Java and then I focused on PHP/MySQL/CSS/XHTML.
PHP was easy to learn, because of it's c-like syntax, but very simplified. From that point it's always good to start with "hard coding". But I don't see reason to learn C/C++ or Java when for example you don't want to focus on applications development, but administration scripts/web applications and not only ( you can still write excelent GUI apps ) using Perl/Python/Ruby. And I don't see any reason not enjoying learning coding in any "ugly" language, while Ruby is so fun and satisfaction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +