2 Replies - 463 Views - Last Post: 15 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Suggestions for A Native CLI C++ Excel Library?

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

Wassuhup yos,
Does anyone have any suggestions for a native C++ library that I can use to read and write from Excel files? I found some third party libraries but j/w if anyone knows of one that is built into VS. I'd like to use a microsoft library, if possible. I've got a spreadsheat full of information and I'd like to be able to pull data from the spreadsheet and then display it in a windows form (GUI) interface. I searched google and only found a bunch of libraries that weren't written by MS.

Thanks! :shuriken:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Suggestions for A Native CLI C++ Excel Library?

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Suggestions for A Native CLI C++ Excel Library?

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

If you are using C++ CLI then you can use the C#/VB.NET/F# Office libraries. They all compile down to IL and can talk to each other.

If all you need to do is read the data, and the data is tabular, a better approach would be to actually treat the Excel sheet like a database. Look at using an OLEDB connection and special connection strings to point to a spreadsheet.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Suggestions for A Native CLI C++ Excel Library?

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Really? I can use the C# libraries in C++? Interesting. Yeah for right now I'll probably be just reading, so I can get a hang of working with excel files. Then once I'm comfortable with reading from them I'd probably like to eventually make a gui interface for making new entries into my DB. Excel itself is a little bit too clunky for what I'm using it for.

So should I just google C# excel libraries and go from there? What should I search for to get started? I'm thinking of including a header file then hopefully researching the commands for accessing the excel file/displaying etc. I figured this would be easy since a lot of times MS gives libraries for dealing with their filetypes in CLI/C++ .NET
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1