6 Replies - 676 Views - Last Post: 03 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I haven't been able to think of ideas for projects.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

From the days of my youth till a few years ago I was learning and doing coding, always having ideas of projects I wanted to create, and in the time close to the end of those years working for a company, for which I wrote the code for many things. But now a few years following that, when I did not have employment, although I want to create new projects to prepare for a new job, (for I needed no degree for my former job, nor did I have one, and doubtless many employers will hire only those that have one), and though I want to create new projects for the fun of it as well, I find it hard to conjure up any new ideas, coming up with only those requiring many months to code, a time I think too long to have no job. So I ask the members of this forum to furnish me with insight, and to provide me with the answer to this problem.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I haven't been able to think of ideas for projects.

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I haven't been able to think of ideas for projects.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

Have you seen our forum called "Share your project"? There people talk about their ideas for projects. I have also created a thread with quite a few project ideas...

http://www.dreaminco...ect-ideas-list/

If you are wanting a bit more ideas and have them discussed with a bit more depth and such, you can also get my project ideas ebook... http://www.coderslex...mers-idea-book/

Hopefully this will help get the ideas flowing. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

Thank you. That post was helpful to me in getting me to work on a project. But now I need to come up with an original idea. Is there a method I can use or do I need to just force myself until I come up with a new idea? It is easier for me to code than to think of new ideas, and thinking of new ideas seems uncomfortable to me. So I avoid it.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 27 June 2017 - 01:03 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

The usual advice is "scratch where it itches". If there's something that seems like it's worth improving, improve it. If there's a new tool that you need, write it. If there's a game you want to play, design it.
If you can't think of anything new to make, maybe that means you're all good, and there's nothing you need to make. Would that be a bad thing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

and thinking of new ideas seems uncomfortable to me. So I avoid it.

Ahhhh, come again?
Spoiler

As Bigweld said - see a need, fill a need. Though you may come to a point where there are no needs for you to fill. So an okay thing as well.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

View Postgarbus, on 27 June 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

Thank you. That post was helpful to me in getting me to work on a project. But now I need to come up with an original idea. Is there a method I can use or do I need to just force myself until I come up with a new idea? It is easier for me to code than to think of new ideas, and thinking of new ideas seems uncomfortable to me. So I avoid it.

You can always take a project idea and morph it into something better. That is really what the thread is all about. I give a bunch of ideas, you start working on one and then say "Oh hey, this would be better if I did this or added that or remove this other thing". Next thing you know, you have something that is all your own.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

I recommend hackerrank.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1