3 Replies - 608 Views - Last Post: 02 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Was I coding the wrong way?

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Whenever I coded in the past, even at work, I would sometimes create a project that was somewhat complex, but even though I may sometimes have made a to-do list of features, I almost never made any document or graph depicting a plan. This is not to say that I was altogether without a plan, for when I would code, I would have in mind some limited architecture, and beginning with one or more classes, would built the project from the bottom-up. Now this brnigs me to a question. Was this approach to building software the wrong one?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Was I coding the wrong way?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Was I coding the wrong way?

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

Ideally you would have some kind of plan, but to say that you have to have a plan every time is a bit of a wrongful assumption. I bet every programmer on this board has, at one time or another, just went off and "hacked" something out. Experimented, tinkered, started something simple to have it grow into something bigger. The good programmers do it all the time in fact. You have to realize that while you have one or two projects that amount to something, you are going to have dozens that fail due to improper or lack of planning. It happens.

But if you are wanting to increase your odds of having a really good piece of software, you really should plan out as much as you can and think in depth about what you are building. But even with all the planning in the world, you will still need to hack something every once in awhile. Just increase your odds with planning. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

Imagine taking your process and changing it just a little bit. Now, instead of just throwing code until things look right, you think about what part of the feature you want to deliver now, and you write a test that exercises just that bit of functionality. Then you write code that makes that test past. Repeat until you can't think of any more tests to write, and all of your tests are passing. Now you should be ready to either deliver the feature or do a quick refactor if the resulting code is too embarrassing for you to release.
Boom, now you're doing test-driven development. Feel better now?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

Pre-project planning makes everything so much easier, man. Most of us learn that the hard way.

Depending on the project, it is easy to see in your mind's eye the basic skeleton of your project but I find to make the project extendable, it takes a bit more planning because otherwise you'll usually add half the features you want to add and realized you screwed up in your design and then you spend days re-writing to implement the other features.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1