4 Replies - 534 Views - Last Post: 20 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What features should I add to my application?

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

I wrote a very basic download manager application. But I want to improve my application so that it become something which people will want to use. Right now, since I only spent less than a day (I think the is the total over a couple days), it is very basic and has only a few features. I would like to ask you what kind of features a good download manager should have.

I know that there is a kind of application that uses torrent or magnet files. Is this what is the most popular kind of download manager nowadays? Or is there still some demand for a good HTTP download manager?

Sorry, I messed up on the link. Here is the correct one.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What features should I add to my application?

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What features should I add to my application?

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're about 20 years late to this party.

Few people bother with HTTP download mangers these days. The ever increasing speed of internet services has made them more or less obsolete. The main reason people used them in the past was because the internet was slow, and they would let you do things like resume interrupted downloads and bypass per-connection rate limitations, none of which is really an issue on the high-speed connections we have today. The basic download managers the browsers include are sufficient for this now.

Torrents are a different matter entirely, and torrent clients are very popular. However those are much more complicated than the HTTP downloaders, and you'll need some fantastic new idea to have a chance of stealing users from the top Torrent clients out there. (Don't ask us for those kind of ideas: if I had an idea like that, I'd have my own qBittorrent fork, getting rich of ad revenue as we speak.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Actually, for folks who don't have admin access to their registry, there is still a market for HTTP download managers because Windows imposes an upper limit on the number of concurrent connections that can be opened. So they may have a big fast pipe, but there are only so many things you can fit in through the Windows funnel. A good download manager should help you prioritize the use of those available connections. Albeit this is still a small market since most users do have admin rights on their machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

Sure, but still. It's not likely that somebody who'd be bothered by that limit would actually be using a limited user account in any case. It's the sort of thing IT centric people notice, not typical users.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

Even though we have hit peak fidget-spinner, it should have 47% more fidget-spinners.

;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1