2 Replies - 349 Views - Last Post: 25 June 2017 - 03:07 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

iOS app to an external DB, how is it done at an overview ?

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:47 AM

Good morning all,

I'm doing some reading online to try find out how an iOS app that has stored data in an external database works. I'm finding different tutorials that use different methods, different technologies and can't seem to find a clear best practice answer. (I'm probably searching for the wrong thing)

Can anybody provide me with a very basic overview, I'm not asking for code as such, simple what technologies starting from the iOS Swift app are involved into getting a response from an external DB on a server.

For example: Swift iOS app uses an Apple API called 'blah blah' that talks to a PHP framework which is using the library 'blah blah blah'. This framework makes a call to the database sitting on the server....

So what is the best practice ?

Thanks,
jlis

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: iOS app to an external DB, how is it done at an overview ?

#2 ndc85430  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Re: iOS app to an external DB, how is it done at an overview ?

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:02 AM

Have some web service that provides access to the data in the database. Since it's a web service, it'll expose an HTTP API and it doesn't matter what it's written in, because your app just needs to talk HTTP and be able to send requests and process requests in whatever format your service uses (e.g. JSON).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: iOS app to an external DB, how is it done at an overview ?

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:07 AM

Very nicely explained,

So there would be no issues with me writing my web service in Python using the Bottle library.

Thanks for the reply!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1