8 Replies - 578 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

#1 garbus  Icon User is online

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Chronic Laziness and Other Obstacles Impeding my Progress

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

I want to start programming again, and I want to create a great product that people will use, but I cannot think of a good idea. All the ideas that I can think of have either already been done or require too much time to develop.

And now I am having trouble learning things like UWP. While reading through the articles on MSDN about the design of UWP Apps, I found that reading them all before reading about development would take me more time than I was willing to spend on it. But I chose not to skip over them because I wanted to learn how to design my apps the right way.

I used to learn new languages and frameworks so much more easily, but now I can hardly think of what technologies to explore, a problem that has caused me to think that I have lost interest in programming. But even though I seem to enjoy programming less than I once did, I know that I still have interest in it; however, I cannot seem to get back into it.

And now I have become so lazy that I no longer practice the things I am trying to learn, reading tutorials and books but writing no code to apply the principles taught in them, hoping that all things I am reading I will retain. And this laziness I need to overcome, but I know not how to overcome it, which is the main reason I am not becoming a more skilled and experienced programmer, but procrastinating and switching from one language to another, and from one framework to another, having no patience and learning nothing.

Please help

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Chronic Laziness and Other Obstacles Impeding my Progress

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Chronic Laziness and Other Obstacles Impeding my Progress

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

Also see this similar topic:
http://www.dreaminco...s-for-projects/

But even though I seem to enjoy programming less than I once did, I know that I still have interest in it; however, I cannot seem to get back into it.

Most likely because you are putting the cart before the horse. See "but I cannot think of a good idea.".

And now I have become so lazy [...] Please help

I am not certain what you are asking. For people to give you ideas? To tell you what to program? To magically give you the spark again?

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

And now I have become so lazy that I no longer practice the things I am trying to learn, reading tutorials and books but writing no code to apply the principles taught in them, hoping that all things I am reading I will retain.

Okay, you've diagnosed the problem. The solution: don't do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

Books can't teach you how to solve problems. They can only teach you what to use to solve problems. Coding is just problem-solving.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 garbus  Icon User is online

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

So how can I get through these documents on MSDN? I've been trying to read them all and retain everything in one day. Maybe I should only read a certain number of docs and study them each day?

How do you folks do it?

When I said all docs, I didn't mean all docs on MSDN, but all docs on a certain topic, such as designing UWP apps.

When I said all docs, I didn't mean all docs on MSDN, but all docs on a certain topic, such as designing UWP apps.

Sorry about that. Something is wrong with the reply functionality on this site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

I would suggest getting a book on the topic and use the documentation for specific information on functions, namespaces, etc that are unclear.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

I only read docs when I'm stuck. Google to the rescue. I'm learning Rails, and am basically going through the steps of making a Twitter clone. It's obviously been done, but it gives you practice and experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Books can't teach you how to solve problems. They can only teach you what to use to solve problems.

I kind of agree with this, but with a bit of a caveat. Books can't teach you, that's true. The only thing that can teach you programming is writing code, seeing how it works or fails, and improving it. That iteration cycle is how you learn programming.

That said, books can greatly improve your trip through that iteration cycle. As an example of a book that can point you at a lot of stuff and strongly suggest that you ought to learn it, I would point to "Mazes For Programmers" by Jamis Buck. It's a book about making different sorts of mazes in code, and under the hood it's about practical applications of graph theory. If someone is interested in exploring these ideas and learning some ruby on the side, then going through this book and typing in all of the code and doing all of the exercises will probably lead to a lot of learning.

The original point still holds, though - if you don't do the work, reading the book will teach you nothing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 05 July 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Books can't teach you how to solve problems. They can only teach you what to use to solve problems.

I kind of agree with this, but with a bit of a caveat. Books can't teach you, that's true. The only thing that can teach you programming is writing code, seeing how it works or fails, and improving it. That iteration cycle is how you learn programming.

That said, books can greatly improve your trip through that iteration cycle. As an example of a book that can point you at a lot of stuff and strongly suggest that you ought to learn it, I would point to "Mazes For Programmers" by Jamis Buck. It's a book about making different sorts of mazes in code, and under the hood it's about practical applications of graph theory. If someone is interested in exploring these ideas and learning some ruby on the side, then going through this book and typing in all of the code and doing all of the exercises will probably lead to a lot of learning.

The original point still holds, though - if you don't do the work, reading the book will teach you nothing.

Exactly. Books are more like maps to tell you how to get some where. But you'll never get there if you don't go.

The best thing you can do to get better at programming is designing and building your own. You might not know how to do everything you need to accomplish that yet, but after you get started you will figure out what you don't know and you'll learn it. After doing that so many times, you get a lot better feel on how to tackle more difficult projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1