2 Replies - 356 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C# for mobile development? Android

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

So long story short I just finished college and will be starting next week for a company that has no programmer, I'll be the only one. The head honcho wants to update all the technology, so I'll be working on social media, web sites, and applications. He did mention something about having a mobile app as well. It'll be for processing work orders at an air compressor sales / services place. He wants to the tech updated so that work will be more efficient and to get more work done in a day.

Their current web app was outsourced to some guys from India and what he wants is his own thing so I'll be developing this myself. I want to do the best I can because this guy is fairly successful, owns 7 companies and runs a 30 million dollar organization. He said he would also offer to pay for courses for me to take online if possible for more advanced training.

I'm starting out on a 2 month work practicum, (it's part of the college course) a lot of places like to just take the 2 free months of labor from students but this guy wants to hire me afterwards. I want to put everything I can into it and learn everything I need to learn, including the business itself and programming. He said he is investing in me, which he really is, so I don't want to let him down.

So anyway my question is, would C# be efficient for creating a mobile app to work with work orders? Say if I build a web app for the company using C#, would I be able to create a mobile app that works in conjunction with the web app using C#? I haven't done any mobile development at all but it certainly has interested me a lot. I don't know what his current web sites are built from, he doesn't even know. He has no programming experience and only has one IT guy that does the networking. I'm going to be his personal programmer in a sense.

Most of my experience is with C#, SQL, and some Javascript / JQuery. We did a bit of PHP and MySQL in school but not a whole lot. I'd like to start learning some mobile development or anything else that will help me during this practicum, and maybe I could start getting paid sooner so I can quit my part time job on the weekends to put more effort into this job.

I don't start till next week so I don't have a ton of info, just what we discussed during an interview that I had yesterday.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# for mobile development? Android

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# for mobile development? Android

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:45 AM

There's this lovely thing called 'Xamarin' you should check out. Mobile app in C# that can be compiled in Android, IOS, UWP, etc.

Side note - that sort of work load seems awfully big for just one guy. Website(s), mobile, order processing, security, web services, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# for mobile development? Android

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

I agree with Modi on both points:
Xamarin sounds ideal for this.
The description sounds WAY too much for one person unless the time frame is 8 years.

I'll also be the really blunt SOB that says what you need to hear, not what you want to hear:
You're not qualified to do it.

The simple fact of life is that you don't have the experience to ARCHITECT this solution. Maybe you could write the black boxes of code if someone with more experience worked it all out at the 10,000 foot level - worked out all the interactions - architected all the layers - and so on. But you can't learn all that out of thin air just from banging on the keyboard and watching YouBoob videos.

Be upfront with the guy and tell him he needs to hire an experienced system architect to design and manage the project, and that you and probably 5 of your school chums can work for the architect doing the grunt coding and learning on the job - and maybe it will be done in only 2 years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1