5 Replies - 884 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2017 - 05:29 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I want to be a programmer

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

Hello

I'm Tal, live in Israel. (My name, Tal, means dew in Hebrew)

I was born on oct 1988 (28 years old while I'm writing this posr).
I never had anything to do with programming in my life, and I would like to give it a try and see if I can learn how to be a programmer.
The main reason for this is that here in Israel, and I guess almost anywhere around the world, programmers can make good money. In Israel they get 3 times more than the avarage salary.
When I attended to college, I studied a B.A in philosophy, and I really loved it, but I have nothing to do with my degree in the job market.
I dont want to attend to college again and study computer science, I want to learn programming all by my self.
do you think that I'm wasting my time? is it really important to study math with programming or I can be a good programmer without study any math?
Do you think that tech companies like Google, Apple and etc will give a chance to a self taught programmer?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I want to be a programmer

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I want to be a programmer

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

do you think that I'm wasting my time?

If you don't then I won't.

is it really important to study math with programming or I can be a good programmer without study any math?

Abstract problem solving helps. Math in some areas, sure.. concepts like 'variables' etc help.

Do you think that tech companies like Google, Apple and etc will give a chance to a self taught programmer?

Maybe.. then again there are *OTHER* companies out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostTal_M, on 05 July 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

I dont want to attend to college again and study computer science, I want to learn programming all by my self.

This concerns me. Why is this a requirement? It's certainly possible to go this route, but what makes you think this is a good idea? What concerns do you have about this approach, and what do you plan to do to mitigate those concerns?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

As an aside, in my first real software development job, my boss was a philosophy major who was a self-taught programmer. That was all the way back in the early 90's.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• say what now
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

Typically, people become self-taught programmers because they take it up as a hobby, enjoy it, and decide, eventually, to pursue it as a career. (Speaking from experience.)

If you know from the outset that you intend to make this a career then it makes more sense these days to look towards courses and formal education.

However, if, as appears, you have no experience of programming, it makes even more sense to pick up a beginner's programming book, or look into (free) online tutorials, for the language of your choice, and test the waters. See if it is something that interests you.
[How could you decide to make something a career goal if you have no exposure to the subject?]

It appears that money is your goal, even to the extent of not actually knowing what it's all about. That is not a good way to direct your life. Look into the subject; see if it interests you.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:29 AM

You know what. In my opinion you can learn on your own. I learned C++ on my own. I never got great at it but then I seem to get interested in so many other things at different times.

Programming is a enjoyable hobby and if money is your thing then that can be a good incentive as well.

I wouldn't completely throw the idea of further education away. I myself never thought I would be going back to college for any reason. Now that I'm 36 I'm thinking 'wait a minute, I need to do something with myself instead of just getting drunk all the time, lol'. So yeap, I'm going back to college and enjoying it. I might be the oldest student in the class, I still got an A in my final exam for that year that just ended (HNC Computing). Next year will be HND Software Development I'm going to have a good crack at it and hopefully get my degree eventually.

Maybe ask your self some questions.

What would you like about programming?
Do you like being creative?
Do you like the feeling of finally getting some problem solved after spending hours if not days at staring at the damn thing.
Oh, do you like staring at words on a computer for hours if not days lol. It can be mentally exhausting but the sense of achievement after it is better than anything I find.

Of course the master plan is to write a sooo simple but why did nobody else think of it app that google buys off me and then I retire before I'm 40 (I should be more realistic :) ). But I do enjoy coding for myself and challenging what I can or cant do.

Anyway, Don't reject the idea of going back to college outright, you never know...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1